Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

The new Intercooler (Core Anyway)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new Intercooler (Core Anyway)

So I literally cobbled together a new core today at work from some pretty decent drops we had. We normally use these for Vipers and Volvo S-60 kits and we had a few drops left over from those IC's.

The core(s) are API cores three in total. We milled them flat on the internal channels on all three and cut the fins off the adjacent external channels. I then had a guy weld them together. They still need top and bottom caps and endtanks but you can get the picture from, well the pictures. The core has 20 internal channels and measures 24x4.5x13.5.

Here you can see the overall size and the splits where the cores are peiced together.

To reference the size, I put something of familiar size in front of it.

Showing the thickness(B) of the core. You can see it has no top cap right now but will be complete and on the car next week.

It is genuinely too large for my current needs but I'll grow into it. We have a realistic, non exaggerated number of around 675whp at 1 psi drop across the core. If SSGhettochrome sold it, they would rate it around 1200 I would wager. Pressure drop be damned when it comes to outrageous hp claims on intercoolers.

Comments welcome.

/brox
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:47 PM
Evolving Member

I posted the build of the tanks in the welding and Fab section but I am sure many of you don't get down that far so here are the pictures of the finished product.

Internal inlet baffle

Tanks.

The Happy core.

The Happy welder.

The Happier owner.

/brox
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:51 PM

dam and i thot the one i had was big lol