Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
thanks again for the test. hopefully you'll find a use for the generic APC filters, they weren't worth testing anyways---i know the MAF adapter issue would come up.

i thought the typhoon filter would perform well, but it didn't/compared to the others. doh.

time for a perrin or amsoil lol.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
I'd like to see the dyno charts for each to see the variances instead of just peak numbers.
I have a copy of all the dyno charts so I will get them posted.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered mine, Perrin has 11% off until Jan 5th, I got mine for $235 for the complete kit. Thanks for all the info, I'm going to probably get the AMSOIL filter also and just to have.
Old Jan 3, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I encourage everyone to make their Perrin, Vibrant, K&N, and Apexi filter purchases through MAP since they were generous enough to donate the dyno time. I believe they are able to honor Perrin's 11% discount. Oil Doc is definitely your man for the Amsoil though!

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 3, 2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by S2kracka
I encourage everyone to make their Perrin, Vibrant, K&N, and Apexi filter purchases through MAP since they were generous enough to donate the dyno time. I believe they are able to honor Perrin's 11% discount. Oil Doc is definitely your man for the Amsoil though!

Definitely will buy from MAP
Old Jan 4, 2009, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

FYI Vibrant sells 2 filter styles. The one pictured with the inverted cone on the top which uses a dry cotton gauze single layer and has a 50k mile warranty. They also sell a K & N style oiled 4 ply cotton gauze filter with a closed top and a lifetime warranty. The latter is double in price and filters a lot better I am sure.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 05:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great results guys! I am glad I have the Perrin filter and their induction hose.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Great test, and thanks A LOT for your job !!!

But without a filtering test, I'll still look at this to choose MY filter:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

An engine that will not loose soon its compression (and power an torque) for the dirt, it's really more important than 10whp more now...

Really hope you'll make a filtration test...
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:37 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a copy of all the dyno charts so I will get them posted.
Thanks! great work btw!

Originally Posted by tephra
i think you will find the extra torque will be because of a boost spike at pk tq.

tq is proportional to hp so maxing out one will max out the other (for a given rpm)
This is why i wanted to see the dyno charts, i think there is a lot more to be seen from this test.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to do this, however, I noticed something completely different when I tested mine without the filter. I actually lost power. I'm currently using a billet maf adapter with a K&N. The K&N I'm using is not like either that you tested, but I'm not sure how much that has to do with it. My car lost 2-3hp by removing it and I surmised that it was a fuction of air entering the MAF more erratically w/o the filter. This was at 401whp on a DD dyno (460whp DJ). I'm running a much larger turbo w/ a 4" MAF pipe, but I don't know if that would alter the results from what you guys found.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:29 AM

Good job guys! great test!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Oil Doc is definitely your man for the Amsoil though!

Thanks Chris. I appreciate the Plug..

I have been hit up with quite a few requests for the AMSOIL Filter now... Where I fall short is when someone asks me specifics for a different application such as installing in place of stock if there is an adapter needed. I have been referring them to you for some info...

What I need is Mounting flange Diameter and length of filter...

In the case of the tests... a 4560 is a 4.5 inch mounting flange and 6.0 length..

Doc
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

The typical Evo MAF adapter has a 4.5" filter flange. The only exception that I have seen is the Agency Power adapter which is 4". The engine bay is pretty tight so most filters are small, 6" in length or less.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:09 AM

Yeah that was definitely a blast. Thanks again to MAP for letting us use the dyno, those guys are great and again I encourage everyone to go through them merely on the fact that without them this test couldn't have been possible and their prices are usually the lowest around from what I've seen.

Thanks to Scheides again for donating your car for the test and S2K for thinking up the test and doing all of the hard work!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:22 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
We used the Vibrant adapter for all of the filters that required it (my old buschur one bolted right to the maf), which is available through MAP.

Thanks for all the comments boys!

Quick Reply: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!