Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadow1
The typical Evo MAF adapter has a 4.5" filter flange. The only exception that I have seen is the Agency Power adapter which is 4". The engine bay is pretty tight so most filters are small, 6" in length or less.
The AEM intake has a 6" adaptor and supports a pretty big filter. My filter dwarfs all those in the test
Old Jan 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
The AEM intake has a 6" adaptor and supports a pretty big filter. My filter dwarfs all those in the test
I've seen those; the K&N FIPK/Typhoon also uses a 6" MAF adapter.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cpoevo
Why are there so many people whiny about not seeing the stock airbox? Everytime someone conducts a test on their own dime and time people start whining "why didnt you test this why didnt you test that." I fyou dont like the test method or the products tested then man up and drop the money and time yourself for the testing.

Kracka and MAPerformance, thank you very much for the test it was very informative.
I don't think nobody was complaining that the stock airbox wasn't tested. They were just asking why it wasn't. I know I wasn't complaining when I asked. I was just curious. A nice baseline would've been nice, but hey it really wasn't a big of a deal so I don't know why your making it one.

Thanks again for the test guys. I was dead set on ordering the Apexi intake, but I'm not so sure as of yet. Like I said in my previous post, I don't mind giving up some HP for some TRQ.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shadow1
The typical Evo MAF adapter has a 4.5" filter flange. The only exception that I have seen is the Agency Power adapter which is 4". The engine bay is pretty tight so most filters are small, 6" in length or less.
hey, just to correct, my Agency Power billet adapter is 4.5"
Old Jan 4, 2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by cpoevo
Why are there so many people whiny about not seeing the stock airbox? Everytime someone conducts a test on their own dime and time people start whining "why didnt you test this why didnt you test that." I fyou dont like the test method or the products tested then man up and drop the money and time yourself for the testing.

Kracka and MAPerformance, thank you very much for the test it was very informative.
Well I guess many people want to know how much they gain if they put some tuning stuff into their engine. So the stock filter is the best reference.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for this test!

I KNEW my K&N that came with my ETS Intake was screwy. This just confirmed my suspicions.

-E
Old Jan 5, 2009, 12:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no filter made less power, I find that impossible and therefore your test needs to be redone. At least you made an effort.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lemmonhead
no filter made less power, I find that impossible and therefore your test needs to be redone. At least you made an effort.

I have seen that in other tests as well but the simple addition of a Velocity Stack changed the way air entered the system and created more HP.

Granted, that was on V-8's but I would think the principle is the same. May act like a Venturi.

Doc
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evoredy
hey, just to correct, my Agency Power billet adapter is 4.5"
Agency Power needs to correct their website!
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
The proof is in the results; two filters beat out filterless, and filterless got 3 dyno pulls just like all the filters did. This goes to show a good air filter is very little restriction to the intake system and helps by smoothing out the airflow before it gets to the MAS.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
I have seen that in other tests as well but the simple addition of a Velocity Stack changed the way air entered the system and created more HP.

Granted, that was on V-8's but I would think the principle is the same. May act like a Venturi.

Doc
I concur with the velocity stack concept. K&N does not incorporate this and this would also explain why the no filter test did worse than some of the filtered tests.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:49 AM

So...you're feelings invalidate our actual testing?

It's a dyno and not a lab. There are some variables out of our control and it's not a perfect representation of real world, on-road, conditions. However, everything we did was as closely controlled as possible and provides a pretty good unbiased power comparison amongst most of the popular filters for the Evo.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Very interesting results, thanks for posting. Looks like it is time for me to get a new filter.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

BTW does the Perrin filter have a velocity stack incorporated into its mounting flange? I know that K&N filters do not.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wicked E
Thanks for this test!

I KNEW my K&N that came with my ETS Intake was screwy. This just confirmed my suspicions.

-E
I always wondered the same thing. The Filter just didnt seem right to me. I will be changing my Filter soon. Thanks for the test!!

Quick Reply: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!