Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Thanks Chris. I appreciate the Plug..

I have been hit up with quite a few requests for the AMSOIL Filter now... Where I fall short is when someone asks me specifics for a different application such as installing in place of stock if there is an adapter needed. I have been referring them to you for some info...

What I need is Mounting flange Diameter and length of filter...

In the case of the tests... a 4560 is a 4.5 inch mounting flange and 6.0 length..

Doc
The adapter needed is located here: http://www.maperformance.com/vibrant...tion-1995.html

Last edited by Kracka; Jan 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why stock filter is not tested? Where are dynographs? How many times each filter was tested?
Also it would be nice to see how the cheapest market filters can compete.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey S2kracka,

Great results, but my one question is... What model K&N Filter did you use? The one I got, looks similar to the Amsoil/ Vibrant/ Buschur models with the exception of the open top filter.

Check it out: (K&N RU-4260) <--- comes with ETS Intake kit for the stock MAF Pipe.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...1&d=1231096681

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RU-4260

I strongly believe if you had tested this model, you would've seen better results.

Also I'm glad I kept my old style burshur air filter, I might have to take off the K&N and throw in the Buschur.

All In All, Great Post
Attached Thumbnails Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!-ru-4260.jpg  

Last edited by 2006EVOIXMR; Jan 4, 2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
One more appeal to see the charts of each - overlaid would be nice, of course, but not required. I'd like to see where the peaks and valleys occur for each and who gets the most under the curve...

AWESOME work here, though. Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 11:55 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
MAS adapter only added to page one as well thanks guys!

http://www.maperformance.com/vibrant...tion-1995.html
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
One more appeal to see the charts of each - overlaid would be nice, of course, but not required. I'd like to see where the peaks and valleys occur for each and who gets the most under the curve...

AWESOME work here, though. Thanks!
I'm having trouble getting my computer to open to charts so they will be up as soon as possible.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jouniu
Why stock filter is not tested? Where are dynographs? How many times each filter was tested?
Also it would be nice to see how the cheapest market filters can compete.
This was a test for aftermarket air filters; from the very beginning we had no intentions of testing the stock airbox. How cheap of a filter to you want tested? The Vibrant filter costs about $20 when you buy it alone w/o adapter! Each filter was given 3 pulls with the exception of the Buschur which got 6 since we dyno'd it first and last as a control to make sure the car's performance was not degrading over the course of the test. The highest peak whp runs are the ones listed in the results.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Why are there so many people whiny about not seeing the stock airbox? Everytime someone conducts a test on their own dime and time people start whining "why didnt you test this why didnt you test that." I fyou dont like the test method or the products tested then man up and drop the money and time yourself for the testing.

Kracka and MAPerformance, thank you very much for the test it was very informative.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006EVOIXMR
hey S2kracka,

Great results, but my one question is... What model K&N Filter did you use? The one I got, looks similar to the Amsoil/ Vibrant/ Buschur models with the exception of the open top filter.

Check it out: (K&N RU-4260) <--- comes with ETS Intake kit for the stock MAF Pipe.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/at...1&d=1231096681

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=RU-4260

I strongly believe if you had tested this model, you would've seen better results.

Also I'm glad I kept my old style burshur air filter, I might have to take off the K&N and throw in the Buschur.

All In All, Great Post
I actually disagree with you here. The larger of the two K&N's is the air filter K&N chose for their Typhoon and FIPK kits; its actually much larger in person than it apprears in the pictures, and due to the very wide base it has about the same filtering area as the others do. The ~10whp gains with the Perrin over a K&N filter have also been reported by CBRD (they tested one similar in size to the Vibrant and Amsoil filters) . When I had my S2000 is when K&N started to get a lot of bad press regarding poor quality control, poor filtering quality, and sub-par performance. This test just backs that up and I'm very interested to hear, if K&N responds to me, their reasoning for the poor performance.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 01:16 PM
Elu
Evolving Member

i love my apexi. good to see it has high tq. its still clean, too. then again i guess its cause its covered by the aluminum box.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

The Apexi is a good quality filter and has been shown to filter really well. I only wish they made a version with a larger flange instead of the 3" one they use on the Evo. If it wasn't for the small goofy adapter I'd imagine it would have scored higher in this test.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:03 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Ya, that adapter on the apexi filter and its 3" inlet is the real killer.

The FIPK K&N is what K&N recommends for the car. The surface area of the filter media is more than enough to make it comparable to these other filters.

I don't think anyone mentioned the details of this one yet, but the SMALL K&N filter we tested was about 2.5" of filter media in a cylinder, it fit really well but it was *HILARIOUS* hearing this filter on the dyno. The intake sounded like when you stick a vacuum nozzle on your skin, pffffffffwwwwwtttttt!!!!! The car was obviously not getting the air it needed and it would knock randomly, making it perform super inconsistently.

Also, we made it a point to not test the stock airbox. It's been widely proven that aftermarket intakes make power over stock, even with tuning. Let's not kid ourselves here. Besides, that would then require us to change the intake pipe, put on the air box, blah blah blah. Too many variables to change! Besides, I took off all of the brackets for my stock box almost 3 years ago. I have them, but hell if I'm putting them back on the car!

Incidently, my old-style buschur filter is officially for sale; pm me reasonable offers and include shipping
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:09 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cpoevo
Why are there so many people whiny about not seeing the stock airbox? Everytime someone conducts a test on their own dime and time people start whining "why didnt you test this why didnt you test that." I fyou dont like the test method or the products tested then man up and drop the money and time yourself for the testing.

Kracka and MAPerformance, thank you very much for the test it was very informative.
Haha hell yea! It's true. Seriously, this test took almost 3 months to get lined up. Others are more than welcome to set one of these up forthemselves. Test the stock airbox, test blowing compressed air into the inlet, do whatever you want. We did what was important to us and then expanded it more so tho widen the results we got.
Old Jan 4, 2009, 02:57 PM

i guess im replacing my apexi!!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cpoevo
I get the same thing when I post tests for our oils, gear lubes and filters... you don't have this oil or that filter...

We usually take the Top X # of products in sales.... Just one of the Gear Lube tests we do is about $15,000.00 . I tell people that they are more than welcome to pay for any testing on whatever product they like..

You can only do so much and you have to draw a line someplace. I think the tests performed here were absolutely great for any Independent to take under their wing.

Awesome Job Guys !!!!

Doc

Quick Reply: Air Filter Shootout Test - Results!