Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

I think my Exedy Twin Disc needs a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my Exedy Twin Disc needs a rebuild

I am getting locked out of 1st and Reverse alot and if I am locked out and I shut the key off then I can shift into gear like butter. The clutch has about 24K hard miles on it (hey I didn't pay this much to go slow) So that tells me it is the clutch.

How do I know for sure once I get the tranny out that it is the clutch and not the tranny syncros?

Where should I order the rebuild kit for the Exedy twin HD from?

TIA, another happy 11 second evo owner
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had lock out issues that got worse and worse, and it was due to the my discs being toast. New discs drove like stock.

I got my discs from Chris@Nolimit
Old Jan 14, 2009, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

try adjusting the clutch pedal first. sometimes on aftermarket clutches they can be save by doing this. if that doesnt work you will need a rebuild. Either get ahold of Buschur or chris@ nolimit. search the marketplace forum, I just saw someone selling the rebuilt kits for $550 which is cheap!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 09:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey,

We have new disc's in stock if you need some, Thanks Guys!!
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:42 PM

Thanks guys, I asked my tuner (Lucas English) if my pedal hight was adjusted right and he said it was (in June) so I am sure they are shot.

I assume this is like any other clutch if the rivets dug into the flywheel then I need to have that high dollar flywheel turned, correct? I thought clutches slipped when they wore out or is that just on single disc?
I am going to look and see if there is a write up on doing this or if I need a shop manual.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 10:50 PM
Evolving Member

if you do take it apart to have it rebuilt, be sure to inspect the center plate to be flat and even. Pressure plate too.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

i would still have the pedal checked. the exedy isnt self adjusting, so as the clutch wears, it needs adjusted. same as any clutch besides the Tilton and the Exedy Hydraulic Push type.
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:05 PM
Evolving Member

My brand new Exedy twin locks out often.. It takes a couple of attempts (clutch up then down) to put it in 1st or reverse. Could be warped disks or damaged input shaft from hanging the transmission off it. Having older syncros also makes the situation worse

With the wheels off the ground and the car running, put it in 1st and see if the wheels turn with the clutch all the way down. If so, you need to adjust it
Old Jan 14, 2009, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

I have only 500 milrs on mine, English Racing installed it few month back and it does ocasionaly locks out 1st and reverse. Also squicks when slipping a little for slow take off. Any thought on how to fix this on a brand new clutch.???
Old Jan 15, 2009, 12:09 AM

Mine makes the same noise, just tap the throttle in neutral and it should slide into first or reverse just fine.

Last edited by Daryl Nilsen; Jan 15, 2009 at 12:29 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 01:46 AM
Evolved Member

can you buy a new ring if needed
Old Jan 15, 2009, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
guys with new discs with lockout still need to adjust clutch pedal.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 06:29 AM

yes, it sounds like it needs to be rebuilt. I recently went threw the same thing with my exedy twin hd. My recommendation is to very careful of what parts you get in your rebuild kit, and have it done by some one who has a good rep. of doing rebuilds on clutches. I had mine rebuilt and installed by a local shop along with my new shep. trans. Due to incorrect assembly of the clutch (never fully disengaged) my shep trans had to be rebuilt after 1000 miles. The second time I sent it to shep. to be rebuilt along with my trans and this thing is great. Your car may be down a little longer but it could save your trans. Just to be clear the clutch was not rebuilt by shep. the first time.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

I have close to 30K miles and I have no lock out issue except when its cold in the morning I can't put in reverse. I have to put in in 1st gear then reverse and it will be easy.

This is normal for me since the 1st day I got it though.(btw I have shep tranny)

On my situation Im suspecting its my gear oil not my clutch or tranny.

GL on yours!
Old Jan 26, 2009, 08:56 AM

Just wanted to bring this post to your attention, since some of you have this lockout issue and odd noise at engagement of the clutch. LINK

Quick Reply: I think my Exedy Twin Disc needs a rebuild