Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch Pedal Travel ? ? ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Pedal Travel ? ? ?

So the other day my clutch pedal got stuck, it was as if the clutch was pushed down to just the point of engagement, but not actually putting pressure on the pressure plate. It was only stuck for a minute or so, but I actually liked the way it felt. The travel was like 3 inches vs the 7 or so inches it's normally at. I was wondering if there's any way to permanetly keep the clutch at those settings. I'd love to decrease my clutches travel as much as possible to speed up my shifts.

thanks,

- Steve
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:03 AM
Former Vendor

If you want to destroy the syncros and clutch you can have 3 inches of travel. Or make a custom pedal setup that will make the clutch very hard then yes. Buy a dog box, no clutch needed.

As to the problem you either have a leak, air in the line, or the clutch pedal or slave cyl. are going bad.

If left untouched you will eventully have no clutch pedal.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

short pedal travel will hurt you more than help you....

short pedal travel means that not as much fluid is being directed to your slave cylinder this it turn means that your clutch isn't disengaging as much as it should which means excess clutch wear and lock out issues....

you want to have the most travel as possible so you have the most fluid going to your slave cylinder to fully disengage your clutch and give you clean shifts

have you heard of NTLS? one of the best mods i've done! keep the gas to the floor between shifts and the RPM drop a preset amount so you get super clean super fast shifts every time! and the shift won't kill your boost!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Curt@MrLed
If you want to destroy the syncros and clutch you can have 3 inches of travel. Or make a custom pedal setup that will make the clutch very hard then yes. Buy a dog box, no clutch needed.

As to the problem you either have a leak, air in the line, or the clutch pedal or slave cyl. are going bad.

If left untouched you will eventully have no clutch pedal.
Good info Curt, thanks,

This was a one time thing, when the temperatures were at like 5 degrees outside. For all I know something was frozen, cause it was right after I started the car. The clutch is about a yr old and hopefully it's not already going. It's just the ACT HDSS nothing too special. I've also noticed from time to time when it's really really cold out after a cold start the clutch pedal will have to be pushed down even further to put enough pressure on the pressure plate. After the car's warmed up i don't have this issue at all