Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are the evo 9 stock headstuds safe to 30 psi used with an fp red?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GRNCT9A
I'm sorry for the off topic. What is the 1x1 method?

Back to the topic. I'd get the headstuds and a new gasket. Rather spend a few hundred bucks then a couple grand to rebuild the motor.

If you have another daily driver and the Evo is just a toy to you, go head and run 30psi and see what happends....lol. Then come back and tell us if everything is good.
lol... if you blow a head gasket its the same labor as changing it out w/ the studs in the beginning. its doesnt escalate to "thousands of dollars"... If you "blew" your motor, you blew your motor due to detonation. Don't over scare people w/ misguided info...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Daryl Nilsen
Your kind of gambling either way. If you pick the 1x1 method your at risk for possible failure and if you just throw 30psi at the stock bolts you could have possible failure. There is a poll somewhere on here that showed the success and failures of the 1x1 method. If i recall alot of people had some sort of issue down the road with the 1x1 method. I am personnaly going to run a red on 25-27 psi with the stock bolts and if i have issues with the head lifting i am going to pull the head and replace the bolts with studs. I was quoted 600 in labor to pull the head and install the arp's. $100 for arp's + (50-100) for headgasket + (100-150) for timing belt + (600-800) Labor and any other miscelanious parts you may need = 850-1150 all together which is a pretty decent amount of money. If FastAzzEvo is running an 850R with 25-30 psi that should be a perfect example of what the stock bolts can handle. There are plenty of people running the stock bolts and untill i see some information on them lifting their heads my opinions will remain the same. In my opinion if you are going to install the studs do it right the first time. I would personally feel that somthing would go wrong down the line if i did the 1x1 method, but this is just my opinion. Good luck with your choice.
EXACTLY!!! couldnt have said it better...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry for the off topic. What is the 1x1 method?
it is changing the studs, by keeping the head on the block and simply swapping each stock head bolt w/ an ARP stud ONE by ONE (1x1). Dont do it...
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here we go again. This has been beat to death, there are many thread on this subject.
FWIW, I went the 1X1 method nine months ago, running 28psi E85, and no leaks at all. If done correctly, it should never leak. Do a search and you'll see some big name shops that do this all the time, with no issues. The key is a shop that knows what there doing.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mdsevo06
Here we go again. This has been beat to death, there are many thread on this subject.
FWIW, I went the 1X1 method nine months ago, running 28psi E85, and no leaks at all. If done correctly, it should never leak. Do a search and you'll see some big name shops that do this all the time, with no issues. The key is a shop that knows what there doing.
assuming you are on a good tune... you would have been fine on the stockers at 28psi w/ a IX... but yeah, its a beaten dead horse subject... same debate on when you should build your motor yadda yadda... to each his own. BUT im sure everyone agrees, the only reason the 1x1 even is considered is strictly for CONVENIENCE. its a short cut period. If money/time/labor wasnt a factor everyone would remove the head and do it right.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:36 PM
Account Disabled

Its a cheap investment.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TakaseEVOIXSE
it is changing the studs, by keeping the head on the block and simply swapping each stock head bolt w/ an ARP stud ONE by ONE (1x1). Dont do it...
Alright, So if you don't swap them out 1 by 1, then how exactly. Take them all out at once and then install the new ones in 1 by 1....going in a certain order, I'll figure out the order later.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Alright, So if you don't swap them out 1 by 1, then how exactly. Take them all out at once and then install the new ones in 1 by 1....going in a certain order, I'll figure out the order later.
You will need to pull the head from the car, replace the HG, then reinstall following proper order and torque specs
Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i shoulda just done head studs when i did cams. damn im mad i didnt
Old Mar 23, 2009, 10:15 PM

Get some ARP, Be safe!
Old Mar 24, 2009, 10:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can somebody here tell me the last time somebody lifted a head? Anyone? Because they don't know of anyone. Don't waste your time even though you think it is insurance.
Old Mar 25, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As posted many times before I have a red and have stock head studs with no issues. I run meth and 30psi daily. My tuner has stock studs and runs 30psi with a 35R. You will be ok. I would only put them in if the head if already lifted or with a built engine when its assembled.

I have a dollar for anyone who can prove they lifted a head with 30psi or under.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by mt057
As posted many times before I have a red and have stock head studs with no issues. I run meth and 30psi daily. My tuner has stock studs and runs 30psi with a 35R. You will be ok. I would only put them in if the head if already lifted or with a built engine when its assembled.

I have a dollar for anyone who can prove they lifted a head with 30psi or under.
This is nice to know. I see both sides though. Getting them to be safe and not needing them because I haven't heard of any lifted heads at 30psi either. Looks like I'm gonna finish installing my meth kit for the green...lol
Old Apr 2, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

I just dynoed on a mustang yesterday at 474 whp and 470 wtq on RED with a leaky BOV, on 30 PSI(stock headstuds) and I DD it. So far its safe for me, I baby it though never really hit it.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

i did arp head studs when i did cams..and i blew my motor from a blown head gasket so if your going to do it right or dont do it at all

Quick Reply: Are the evo 9 stock headstuds safe to 30 psi used with an fp red?