Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Are the evo 9 stock headstuds safe to 30 psi used with an fp red?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^Couldn't agree more!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

So many conflicting opinions... I'm trying to decide on the 1x1 method or stay with the stockers when I do cams.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:02 AM

while ya have the cams out why not just do the head studs? cuz the possibility of the studs stretching isn't really worth the risk imo
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by pettyboy69
while ya have the cams out why not just do the head studs? cuz the possibility of the studs stretching isn't really worth the risk imo
That's what I'd like to do put people are advising against the 1x1 method...
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

I ran 30 psi for two years before I blew a head gasket, I did the studs when the head was off.. I wouldn't do it until you need to, then do it the right way.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the tensile strength of the factory fasteners is more than enough to support 500+whp worth of cylinder pressure. However you cannot knock/detonate your engine @ that power level and expect your headgasket to be fine. The amount of cylinder pressure generated will exceed the clamping force of the fasteners and lift the head... and push the headgasket out.

In simple terms. If you're going to run meth or have a knock prone tune... swap out the bolts for studs.

If you're going to run quality consistent fuel with a solid tune...don't sweat it.

the amount of cylinder pressure generated from a knock event is FAR FAR FAR higher than the cylinder pressure generated from making a clean 500whp.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
the tensile strength of the factory fasteners is more than enough to support 500+whp worth of cylinder pressure. However you cannot knock/detonate your engine @ that power level and expect your headgasket to be fine. The amount of cylinder pressure generated will exceed the clamping force of the fasteners and lift the head... and push the headgasket out.

In simple terms. If you're going to run meth or have a knock prone tune... swap out the bolts for studs.

If you're going to run quality consistent fuel with a solid tune...don't sweat it.

the amount of cylinder pressure generated from a knock event is FAR FAR FAR higher than the cylinder pressure generated from making a clean 500whp.
Exactly, knocking kills HGs, pistons and heads.

70,000 miles of e85 and 30-35psi boost pressure with a knock free tune and well over 500hp on stock headbolts has been my experience.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 06:35 AM

now that is a solid response to the OP
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

I know somebody that was running 34lbs of boost on a DD evo9 for over a year and a half on stock block with just minor bolt ons. He had an English racing tune and he actually used to lead our drives so he was pretty hard on it. No he didn't do it intentionally some how his MBC got installed incorrectly so he thought his MR boost gauge was broke. He later got re-dynoed by Aaron at ER and it got corrected, however at 26lbs of boost he was making better power than at 34. Would i recommend it? NO.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:50 PM

THis post along with the other ones saying simalir things...are the only truth about this subject...tune enough cars and you will learn what destroys engine and what does not