Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Warning - All Those Who Use An Aeromotive FP Regulator

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Drifto
It is infact a geniune item. Purchased from a very large Aeromotive distributor in the SE. I bought he same unit for my Evo and after repairing Ted's decided to open mine up to have a look. I didn't have any damage, as Ted did, but I had a flat anadized base with no tapered ball seat. I decided to go ahead and cut a seat in mine since that improved things for Ted.
If that is the case then aeromotive has changed in quality. The one I recently opened was a few years old. The one I opened was not holding fuel pressure. Opened it up to find aluminum shaving on seat. put it back together and it works like a champ. The hole for seat did not look like it was drilled in china if you know what I mean.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

you got my curiosity peaked. just had to go remove the 4 screws. will take pictures tomorrow. I will let pictures do the talking. in short my memory serves.

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Mar 23, 2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

here they are.

Old Mar 23, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Looks like you have a different model than Ted and I have. Ours is the "Compact" version which only has one return port. Maybe Aeromotive cheaped out when they made these. Ted and I got ours over a year apart so I doubt it was a bad batch. This model may be made elsewhere....
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I am just putting this out there, do what you guys want with it. There is absolutely NO need to have an adjustable regulator on 99% of the EVO's. It's a mess if you ask me, uncalled for expense, crappy AN hoses etc. There just isn't a need for it.

Bolt the stock regulator back on, it works great and fits like it is suppose to.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 03:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Agreed, an aftermarket rail and regulator do not deliver a peformance improvement. In my case, I wanted teflon lines and a FP gauge, which turned out to be useful in my particular, somewhat unusual situation, which involves E85. Otherwise, I'd have just left it all as-is.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by David Buschur
I am just putting this out there, do what you guys want with it. There is absolutely NO need to have an adjustable regulator on 99% of the EVO's. It's a mess if you ask me, uncalled for expense, crappy AN hoses etc. There just isn't a need for it.

Bolt the stock regulator back on, it works great and fits like it is suppose to.
Where so you draw the line on if you need or not?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:02 AM
EvoM Guru

Unless there is something happening that necessitates a new fuel system, or one is running two pumps in parallel simultaneously, this is a non-issue for the vast majority of street/strip applications.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:42 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Unless there is something happening that necessitates a new fuel system, or one is running two pumps in parallel simultaneously, this is a non-issue for the vast majority of street/strip applications.
A standard single fuel pump rewire that eliminates low voltage mode will also necessitate an aftermarket fpr.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
A standard single fuel pump rewire that eliminates low voltage mode will also necessitate an aftermarket fpr.
To go along with mrfred, it's normally the added voltage that overruns the stock FPR rather than the fuel itself.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mrfred
If that happens, the easy modification I described here will fix the issue (at no cost):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ould-know.html

I have verified that it does not inhibit the Bernoulli effect that siphons fuel from the auxiliary section of the tank to the main section.

FYI
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
If that happens, the easy modification I described here will fix the issue (at no cost):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ould-know.html

I have verified that it does not inhibit the Bernoulli effect that siphons fuel from the auxiliary section of the tank to the main section.

FYI
So for a single pump at full voltage at idle, you think its the siphon that causes overrun and not the fpr?

EDIT: BTW, nice to see that you're still around.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:50 AM
EvoM Guru

The factory siphon has proven to be the bottleneck in aftermarket setups (like mine) that must return greater fuel volumes at low load situations as a result of increased pump capacity. Regardless of upgrades made to the FPR and return system, the siphon remains the weak link in that part of the system. That much we know.

What we don't know is if the factory FPR and/or return line are collectively less capable than the siphon, but my hunch says 'no'. Fortunately, all it takes is a 9/64" (3.5mm) drill bit, a few hand tools, and about 20 minutes to verify.

As for my disappearance, I needed to devote my mental energies elsewhere for the time being. Otherwise, I've not (yet) met an untimely demise...
Old Jun 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The factory siphon has proven to be the bottleneck in aftermarket setups (like mine) that must return greater fuel volumes at low load situations as a result of increased pump capacity. Regardless of upgrades made to the FPR and return system, the siphon remains the weak link in that part of the system. That much we know.

What we don't know is if the factory FPR and/or return line are collectively less capable than the siphon, but my hunch says 'no'. Fortunately, all it takes is a 9/64" (3.5mm) drill bit, a few hand tools, and about 20 minutes to verify.

As for my disappearance, I needed to devote my mental energies elsewhere for the time being. Otherwise, I've not (yet) met an untimely demise...
Thought you had been locked up for disturbing the peace while indulging in an absinthe binge.