Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

(clunk clunk

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2009, 02:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What the eff is that sound...

Every time I change gears hard or pop the clutch instead of riding the clutch a bit for a smoother ride.. I hear some clunking on the driver side under the hood and the car rocks back and forth a little bit. I just got this Evo the other day so I don't know too much about it but from my experience with cars in the past I'd have to say it's a motor mount.

They put on a sway bar for me a few days ago so I haven't entirely ruled that out either cause sometimes it sounds like it's coming from the rear but maybe it's my imagination because I know the sway bar was just installed.

I'm gonna call the dealer today and inform them of it before my 30 day warranty is over. Any ideas or insight before I call them. Don't wanna call them sounding completely clueless in case they try to say it's my imagination and that's how it's suppose to drive or something crazy.

Last edited by guapoholic; Mar 1, 2009 at 02:59 AM. Reason: accidentally posted
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow your clutch release. Until you get solid mounts you will hear the mounts and driveline components reach there limit. When mine was brand new and completely stock the rear end wound make an awful clunking sound when I "Speed Shifted", driver mod fixed it for me.

Josh
Old Mar 1, 2009, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

So are you saying the mounts don't need replacing and that's how it's suppose to drive...? Because I just wanna avoid having to buy the mounts on my own if that's what the problem is.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be alot of things, like slack in the drivetrain. Try properly matching your revs.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

When I properly match my revs it's a smooth shift and ride but it's an evo not a camry. It worries me to know I can't drive it the way it was built to be driven without me hearing that annoying clunk.