Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2009, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?

Well I bought a set of used hks 272 mivec cams. The exh one shows the hks stamp on it. The intake cam doesn't and the casting appears to be more rough in finish on the non polished sections? It has a number stamped instead? I'm thinking that its a stock intake cam? Does anyone know if the hks mivec intake cam comes w the hks stamp or not? I would think yes to make it legit.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

have a pic?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Typically all of the HKS cams come with the logo stamped... Take a picture of it..
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:01 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boost3dxevo
typically all of the hks cams come with the logo stamped... Take a picture of it..

+1
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boost3dxEvO
Typically all of the HKS cams come with the logo stamped... Take a picture of it..
ok the exhaust one has it, but the intake one has these 2 engravings. one is a number and the other this weird letters
Attached Thumbnails hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?-cam1.jpg   hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?-cam2.jpg  
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

If both are 272 I & E you could try comparing the lobes to stock cams to check and see if its a 272. Suposedly HKS has a ride range off acceptable allowances that they will let roll off there assembly lines. As far as stamp goes, they all have stamps. Just installed a set on my 8. Off topic, i was not impressed with craftmanship off the cams. The Ex cam barely had a dowel to go onto the cam gear.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

well my stock cams are still in the car so i cant look at them to compare... anyone else can confirm if those pics i showed are of stock evo9 intake cam w/ the stampings shown? Man, i paid 370 for these and now it seems like i paid just for an exh hks cam!
Old Mar 6, 2009, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

well i pulled several pics off the web and official HKS pics... and none of them show an HKS stamp on the intake cam. You can tell which one is the intake because of the grooves etc (it looks different) and has the holes in it. So now, im guessing they are right... but i cant find if that number stamp is legit?
Old Mar 6, 2009, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

looks like the set for the evo8 have stamps on both. because they both look the same. the mivec intake cam looks different and no stamp? anyone verify?
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
looks like you may need to contact hks, and or pull out a dial idicator and measure that lift on your aftermarket cams. a machine shop may be able to help you with that if you dont have the tools. used parts for internals scare me. who can be trusted 100%
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

Intake cam does not say it on it, thats the way they are

HKS MIVEC CAM DOES NOT SAY HKS ON IT!!!! Just look at the stock number and you will see you got the right thing. Just the Exhaust says HKS, I know odd but I am running a 280/272 combo and I thought the same at first but its alright
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DIDYSIS
HKS MIVEC CAM DOES NOT SAY HKS ON IT!!!! Just look at the stock number and you will see you got the right thing. Just the Exhaust says HKS, I know odd but I am running a 280/272 combo and I thought the same at first but its alright
ok, but i dont have the box it comes in. I bought them used and he didnt ship them in the original box. The pics i posted show the only marks on the cams. I couldnt verify any of those marks/numbers on HKS' site as a part# or anything. Can you confirm that 8114 number on the mivec cam or that other engraving is HKS?
Old Mar 8, 2009, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Intake cam does not say it on it, thats the way they are

Humm, well sorry to say my cams are in and I am not taking anything apart just to check them out let me find some pics of my head,, dont know if this helps take a look
Attached Thumbnails hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?-dscn0433.jpg   hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?-dscn0427.jpg   hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?-dscn0426.jpg  

Last edited by DIDYSIS; Mar 9, 2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

i was mistaken the number reads 6114 on the stamp. But anyhoo... thanks for the pics. Our cams look the same. Same discoloration on the intake cam and definately different than the exhaust cam in casting appearance etc. I feel alot better about it now. Thanks
Old Mar 9, 2009, 12:11 AM
Evolving Member

No problem. I got mine with the intake new and exhaust used and thought it was odd that the intake had no marking, but its an HKS, numbers all matched and well what the heck, but really thought HKS would want to show it off more.

Quick Reply: hks stamp on evo9 mivec cams missing?