Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

To destroke or not to destroke

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2009, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To destroke or not to destroke

Ok, I've been out of the game for a while (due to winter and repairs) so i need some of the experts to chime in on this one. My setup- fully built 2.4l RnR motor, precision 6766 (37r) turbo, AEM EMS, +supporting etc etc. I'm currently getting a 93+meth tune but will MOSTLY run a seperate tune for race gas. I was going through some ideas to make a bit more power (shooting for 700whp) and I thought back to when i read about ams destroking a 2.4l block to a 2.1l. Some of the things I need to know a little more in detail though...

1. What's the cost to destroke to a 2.1 and do YOU think it's worth the money?

2. What will be the difference in rev limit, and will the extra revs have usable power? My tuner claims i can rev to 9500 on the built 2.4.

4. Can you give an estimate on spool time vs a 2.4?

5. How much extra top end power can i expect vs a 2.4?

6. Any extra thoughts or coments are appreciated.

Full mod list- Full 2.4L RNR built engine with about 13K on it. (replaced at 33k)
Crower rods, Ross Pistons, New Stroker Crank, New 4G64 Block, Mitsu Main & Rod bearings, New Front Cover, New timing belt, New Tensioner, Head has a mild port with a 3 angle, HKS 272's, Mitsu Metal Head gasket, Precision 6766 (37r), Full 3" TB exhuast, Tial BOV, Buschur Race FMIC, AMS 1200HP fuel kit, Methanol Injection
4" Intake, AEM EMS, AEM Wideband, AEM Serial data stream guage, Exedy Triple Carbon Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Koyo Aluminium radiator, Slotted/dimpled rotors
Metal master pads, Battery is relocated to the trunk, DEFI Boost Guage, Hallman MBC, Perrin Rear Sway bar, Ebiach Lowering springs, All solid motor mounts, HKS turbo timer
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

bump pleeease
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

1. Thousands of dollars, NO.
2. It will be higher, but unless you are drag racing or doing standing miles you don't need the headroom.
4. Where did question three go?-It will be approx 2-500 rpms later to full boost, making less tq and HP until you are revving higher than the 2.4 can.
5. Depends.
6.You would be downright silly to do this now unless you are either DRAG RACING, STANDING MILE RACING, or going for TOP SPEED.

Scorke
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evogottago
Ok, I've been out of the game for a while (due to winter and repairs) so i need some of the experts to chime in on this one. My setup- fully built 2.4l RnR motor, precision 6766 (37r) turbo, AEM EMS, +supporting etc etc. I'm currently getting a 93+meth tune but will MOSTLY run a seperate tune for race gas. I was going through some ideas to make a bit more power (shooting for 700whp) and I thought back to when i read about ams destroking a 2.4l block to a 2.1l. Some of the things I need to know a little more in detail though...

1. What's the cost to destroke to a 2.1 and do YOU think it's worth the money?

2. What will be the difference in rev limit, and will the extra revs have usable power? My tuner claims i can rev to 9500 on the built 2.4.

4. Can you give an estimate on spool time vs a 2.4?

5. How much extra top end power can i expect vs a 2.4?

6. Any extra thoughts or coments are appreciated.

Full mod list- Full 2.4L RNR built engine with about 13K on it. (replaced at 33k)
Crower rods, Ross Pistons, New Stroker Crank, New 4G64 Block, Mitsu Main & Rod bearings, New Front Cover, New timing belt, New Tensioner, Head has a mild port with a 3 angle, HKS 272's, Mitsu Metal Head gasket, Precision 6766 (37r), Full 3" TB exhuast, Tial BOV, Buschur Race FMIC, AMS 1200HP fuel kit, Methanol Injection
4" Intake, AEM EMS, AEM Wideband, AEM Serial data stream guage, Exedy Triple Carbon Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Koyo Aluminium radiator, Slotted/dimpled rotors
Metal master pads, Battery is relocated to the trunk, DEFI Boost Guage, Hallman MBC, Perrin Rear Sway bar, Ebiach Lowering springs, All solid motor mounts, HKS turbo timer
1. The cost would vary a lot depending on parts and who does it, but destroking it simply consists of a stock evo crank and new rods.

2. Really High!!

Dont know the rest.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

You mind telling me what head gasket and stud combo you are running on your 2.4? What's the ost boost you have run and have you ever had gasket issues? Also, is it o-ringed? Thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
You mind telling me what head gasket and stud combo you are running on your 2.4? What's the ost boost you have run and have you ever had gasket issues? Also, is it o-ringed? Thanks.
The car's at the shop right now b/c of the head gasket So yeah there were some gasket issues. Most boost ever run on racegas (not by me) was 35psi. I'm still talking with my mechanic about parts etc, so I'm not sure what gasket/stud combo we're gonna run yet. Sorry I answered those a little out of order lol
Old May 17, 2009, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

There's a lot more to the 2.1 than just revving higher. The piston dwell time is much higher, allowing more room for flame travel. etc. Rod angularity etc pm me