Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch going and flywheel warped effects

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Clutch going and flywheel warped effects?

Currently on stock clutch 24,000 miles.

History:

Car bought brand new, daily driven with intent to save gas. Just to let you know how easy I am on it. Once in a while I do some spirited pulls and I have only been at the track once.

I basically practiced and learned how to launch on the stocker. But in that process I have slipped it too much in the past. Once while practicing a while back I slipped it soo much that later on when taking off during normal driving I was experiencing a feeling of clutch chatter or very similar to my car wheel hopping sensation. Its like the cluthc would grip hard and slip and grip hard and slip etc... until I completely engage it. After being easy on it for a couple days it smoothed back up about 90% but not completely.

Now all of that was basically on a stock power level except maybe exhaust. Just recently I got tuned so I am making more power now, maybe around 330 with the basic mods in my sig for an Evo IX. I have a feeling that the clutch is going toast because its starting to have that chatter jerk again. And not only that its beginning to grind gears when make shifts at high rpms.

I adjusted the clutch pedal to give some more play because long ago I did shorten the engagement point and it would put me in similar situations of gear lock. So I lengthened it which helped and recently did it again. This seemed to help a little with the shifting in most gears except in certain instances of far up shifting. Example, If I do a quick pull in 2nd gear then right after shift into 5th my gear grinds in. But if I up shift to the next lower gear and follow through that way they go in just fine.

I changed the transfer case fluid and rear diff fluid at 15,000 miles mark with OEM fluids offcourse (currently have 24k as mentioned earlier). Everything was healthy on the magnetic plug and collected oil at that time. Currently I have purchased a new clutch and flywheel to begin changing. I'll also be changing the transmission oil with redline mt-90 75w 90 weight but thats another topic. I havent noticed any slippage during pulls, if there is then its probably very miner.

My question is the symptoms I am having could it be caused from a clutch going out and or flywheel being warped? I'm pretty sure the clutch is pretty worn but what about fly wheel being warped?

I know ultimately I need to change it to see if it fixes things but I'm trying to get some opinions and or similar experiences to possibly prepare for the future better. Remember I was on stock power level for the longest time untill this month if that matters on the condition that my syncros should be. Also I drove it like a granny but ran it only a couple times in a month.

I tried to use nice paragraphs, to make it a little easier but its late so excuse any grammer/punctuation errors.

Thanks,

Last edited by BluEVOIX; May 18, 2009 at 11:20 PM.