Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus v5 intake + Boomba 75mm TB = Problems

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have u got ur setup running yet? We having problems with boomba tb and good idle
Old Jul 17, 2009, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsm25psi
have u got ur setup running yet? We having problems with boomba tb and good idle
Not yet. I haven't had time to get this done and just found my new turbo won't work with my DP. Car is in pieces right now. I'm curious about idle issue and what needs to be done with the tune. Stock ECM? What happens when you mess with the idle screw (small allen)?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you running AEM or stock ecu?
Old Jul 18, 2009, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CO_VR4
Jake knows what he is doing

I've heard some good things about Mitch, but having "used to be with Vivid" is no great recommendation, given their history on this board...
Well that was before their rep went down hill lol

Yes roden I tuned my own car.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Update:

Call me super slow but I just haven't the time to work on my Evo. My daughter has been with me for the summer and we've taken some small trips which means no garage time in the last month.

Anyway, I finally got the manifold installed and tested the fitment. Since the manifold flange was a tad thicker and so was the gasket, the alternator bracket was giving me a fit. Finally with some persuasion with a 1" wrench, I was able to bend the bracket just enough to get the bracket bolt in. Also since the manifold flange and gasket is thicker, the old bolts are not long enough. One started to strip even with 3/8" of thread and hardly any torque so I have decided to take the manifold back off and do some studs instead of using longer bolts and fix the stripped hole. The other thing I'm going to change is adding larger barb fittings so it fits my lines better. 2 of them were too small for the WG and MBC. I may also T-off the MAP sensor, boost gauge sensor, and the Hobbs pressure switch (Double Pumper) off a threaded 3 port T so they are out of site. The biggest reason for removing the manifold are the bolt holes being off. At first I didn't mind honing out the holes in the TB but they need to honed towards the outer edges of the TB. If you look at the Boomba TB, there isn't that much material on the outer part of the holes. The holes are off at least 1/16" on the manifold and I would also need grind/hone the holes on the spacer. I think the best thing to do is return the manifold for another one. After thinking about it, I shouldn't have to modify and grind on a nice TB just to fit the manifold. I purchased the Magnus manifold through Carz awhile back and I hope Lucas will exchange it for another one. Otherwise I'll have to go through Magnus which I don't mind but may take another couple weeks. This really sucks since I was hoping on getting the car running this week and I feel its just been sitting waiting for me to finish it. Really looking forward to getting a tune with this new manifold, TB, dual line setup, and the new HTA Turbo.

Last edited by rodent; Aug 9, 2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:05 AM
Evolving Member

yse i agree, you shouldnt have to modify bolt holes to make the manifold fit IMO. but hopefully you can send it back and get another one shortly and get that beast up and running again. keep us posted man!
Old Aug 10, 2009, 01:06 AM
Evolved Member

Hope to see you in september bro. GL, let me know if you need a hand or anything.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slowr_evo
yse i agree, you shouldnt have to modify bolt holes to make the manifold fit IMO. but hopefully you can send it back and get another one shortly and get that beast up and running again. keep us posted man!
Originally Posted by project_skyline
Hope to see you in september bro. GL, let me know if you need a hand or anything.
Thanks guys!

Lucas at Carz had no problem taking this back but we found his other v5 manifolds had the same issue. His other Magnus SM intake (not the v5) fits the Boomba TB just fine so its definitely a problem with the v5 intake and possibly a bad batch. He's talking to Magnus now getting this resolved. Big thanks to Lucas @ Carz and I really appreciate the Carz t-shirt!
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Bump this up for any new results?
Old Aug 11, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

We're waiting to hear back from Magnus. I suspect new manifolds will have to be shipped.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Or not...

Magnus response:
Yes we did look at it. We don’t have issues with any throttle bodies hooking up the the manifolds. We do not recommend the one you are using to our customers so we don’t have any in house to test with. We asked some of our distributors if they had an issues and they did not however I was not able to find anybody who has used your TB. Most use Edelbrock or Wilson (mustang 5.0 TB’s)

I’m not sure where to go from here. I can only suggest boring the TB holes to accommodate your clearance issues. Its an easy fix but obviously somewhat of an inconvenience for you.

All of our manifolds have the holes in the same spot, we double check through QA each piece. There may be some very slight variation with the cast VS sheet metal as they are different programs in our CNC machine but to have our intakes made to fit the most popular TB’s not work would be next to impossible..