Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Boost / throttle problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2009, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost / throttle problem

The first owner of my 03 VIII had a EBC on the car, and removed it before selling it. An attempt was made to to patch the vacuum lines up using regular lines. My mitsu dealer couldn't figure this out (Hall Mitsubishi VAB), and added a T connector so that the hoses matched the diagram, more or less. I ordered the correct part with the restrictor pills and replaced all that. I wish I had diagrammed the initial line layout, I remember two separate lines that the dealer consolidated.

I have had a long, on going problem with the car being slow to build boost; that more throttle adds to the effect. The car is more responsive under part throttle, going WOT makes for no top end hit. It can hit full boost (18-20 psi), but the more I push it, the more it doesn't want to go. Its like my wastegate is partly stuck open or something; perpetual turbo lag. Could those wrong hoses caused a problem with it or the boost solenoid?

The only mods I have is K&N drop in and a Dynoflash mail in. I tested it for leaks in May, this has been going on since I got the car.

Last edited by rartist; Jul 8, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Jul 15, 2009, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Try running a small line from the turbo compressor to the wastegate nipple. It should build boost quick, and stop around 11psi. Do the boost leak test. Probably not a problem with the wastegate.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Is it possible that these symptoms could be cause electrically? I have some evidence that my alternator is giving up. The first 4-5 minutes I drive the car it balks when I give it the throttle. It did it today after sitting for about 10-15 minutes and then let it out to pull onto the highway. Its not charging the battery well at all, giving a weak charge after 30 miles of driving. When I went out for lunch it balked a bit at startup, and then balked a lot when I started it to go back to the studio. I'm wondering if it will start at all to go home.

This cropped up after letting the car sit for 11 days while out of the country, I had to jump start it to get to work (33 miles). The battery is 3 mos old.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

I've had an alternator go out on me once, and my buddy's evo once. Both times, while driving, the brake light and battery light would come on, indicating you're driving off battery power only. When the battery runs dry, the car would die. All lights would shut off. No power.

Take the battery to autozone charged (or they can charge it free in 1hr.) and have them test it. You can also do this with your alternator, but that's a little more tough to remove.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Took the battery to AZ, tested defective, and was replaced. The alternator tested flaky but charging. I drove the car about 170 miles today, and it threw a CEL of unknown cause. I've had a very small handful if misfires in the years I've had the car that threw a CEL, didn't feel anything this time. I reset it and drove the car for about 20 min and it didn't repeat.

With my luck (lack thereof) this is an unrelated problem.