Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HKS Suction w/ forge re-circ valve

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS Suction w/ forge re-circ valve

I am getting I would assume what others call a fluttering noise from the recirc valve. I am running about 21lbs if that makes a difference. Is there a way to cure the fluttering noise to make it a clean woosh? Different spring perhaps? Right now I'm using the stock spring, the kit came with two others.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 12:27 PM
Account Disabled

S e a r c h
Old Oct 9, 2003, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

I am going to install my forge recirc this weekend (just installed the HKS this week) and will let you know if I experience the same thing. Definitely do a search as suggested, there is a lot of info on this topic. New vs. old piston design, springs, direction of flow, etc.
Old Oct 9, 2003, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by kidnice
S e a r c h
Ya know, for the amount of time it took you to write this reply you could have probably answered the guys question whilst mentioning that it has been covered before in other topics. That is assuming you know the answer to his question
Old Oct 9, 2003, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

u know what i did to solve the problem is i installed the stock intake and wow it vanished and u would be suprised how much power your losing with a short ram intake! Mmmm cold air
Old Oct 9, 2003, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

I'm actually reading about .75-1 psi more boost with the intake and the forge then I was with the stock setup. I don't know if my OG recirc vave was leaking, but my car is faster now. I am going to try and fab some type of tunnel ram leading to the HKS in order to give it a better cold air supply, something better than the stock ram at least.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

ducaticorse, I am thinking that is possible because 1) you are releasing some of the intake restriction and 2) the forge d/v is probably holding the max boost more steadily. What were you reading (the ranges) stock?
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Webguy, install two of the shims with the blue spring into the forge before you install it on the suction kit. I'm experiencing nasty stumble (car jerking back rather violently apon gas pedal lift), accompanied by a blatant fluttering sound caused by the forge with the blue spring only. I called VIVID and told them about the problem, they said they're running the forge with the blue spring and two shims, and it runs flawless. I've yet to install the shims, but if they don't work, I'm returning the forge to VIVID, because it SUCKS driving around with it the way it is now. Trust me, install the two shims, and if you experience the same thing I'm speaking of, take it off and send it back to who you purchased it from, because there's nothing else you can do.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Oh yeah, let me know if it works, so I don't have to waste my time trying it if it doesn't. Thanks.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'm running it with just the blue spring and it works perfectly like that.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

Fireball, what intake ru using? I've got the hks suction, and the forge with just the blue spring DOES NOT RUN PROPERLY. You've got the fluttering noise without the stumble apon gas pedal lift at higher boost ranges? Or no flutter at all? I know of more than one person who is having identical trouble as me with this valve.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

I'm having the same problems. I had them with the stock intake and it got much more noticeable with my RMR intake. Right now I have the stock valve back in. I was going to do some testing tomorrow, I guess the blue spring with 2 shims is where I can start.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, try the shims, according to VIVID, that setup runs great in they're car, they're also using an open element intake similar to the HKS. I'll try the shims on SAT or SUN, I hope they work, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by ducaticorse
I'm not holding my breath.

Me neither. I e-mailed Road Race Engineering and asked them what kind of blow off valve they are running out on the cars out in Cali and Mike said that they run a modified Greddy TypeS with no problems. If this forge valve doesn't start acting right that is what I am going with.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 03:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have the flutter sound, but I never have the car jerk on me. I use the Buschur Racing intake filter, but not the intake pipe.

Quick Reply: HKS Suction w/ forge re-circ valve