Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

TTP's FullBlown E85 upgrade and dynotesting on the stock block 571whp/481wtq!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:17 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TTP's FullBlown E85 upgrade and dynotesting on the stock block 571whp/481wtq!

So we've been having a lot of fun with the GT35R HTA86 turbo so far. Making 499.6whp on the stock FMIC, 535whp on the ETS 4" FMIC core, all of which were on pumpgas 93 octane so far. We have reached the end of the line as far as the octane limitations of the pumpgas 93 on 1050cc TTP fuel injectors.

Our next step from the octane limitations of 93 octane is the move to E85 ethanol which is 15% gasoline and the rest of the fuel made from alcohol made from corn. This fuel provides a boost to the effective octane rating of the fuel and has evaporative cooling properties much like its cousin methanol.

Its all not fun and games though. There are some downsides to ethanol fuel use. One of which is the efficiency of the fuel. It take approximately 24-30% more fueling in order to meet the same LAMBDA of gasoline 10:1 vs 14.7:1 for stoichiometric burn.

This has left us with a serious fuel deficiency. We were tuned on 33.7psi peak on 93 octane to achieve 535whp on the HTA86 and 4" FMIC.

Once we moved to E85 use however we reached 100%+ injector duty cycle on the 1050cc units at a lean AFR on only 24psi! We were completely out of fuel at this point.

Insert the new TTP-Engineering EthaMax injectors of the 1650cc variety. We swapped out the injectors for the 1650cc brethren and got back to tuning the car. Power continued to increase up until 29psi where we were again out of fuel all over again at 100%+ injector duty cycle. Just as we were about to reach our performance level on plain 93 octane, we ran out of fuel once again on the single walbro 255lph HP fuel pump.

It was time to address the fuel pump volume issue we were now faced with. We got to work removing the stock pump housing and taking out the existing Walbro pump.

Insert the FullBlown billet twin fuel pump setup in purple anodized finish with option for use with stock fuel lines. We received a few of these twin pump setups in the mail and opened them up. No instructions . Before long I had all eight hose barbs in all the right places, the existing walbro that was in the car already swapped over, and added a second walbro to the kit. Everything came together nicely. The fuel level sensor and float was swapped over and all fittings tightened up with NO SEALANT and installed it into the fuel tank.

Swapping over wiring using our Posi-Taps into the stock harness on the first pump went smoothly. We buttoned up the housing to the tank and started the car. Started up just fine. So we knew we had pump #1 online. After tightening up the allen hex bolt to the AN port and blocking a small leak, we moved onto pump #2.

Luckily we have all kinds of electronic parts around here. I picked of a bosch relay and a boost switch laying around and got to work. I wired power supply to the relay which I installed in the pump housing area. Relay was grounded to the stock wiring harness. Trigger from the battery was run to the boost switch in the engine bay and back to the relay. We tested the pump by jumping the switch with the car off and could hear the fuel rushing through the return line in the engine bay. The switch we calibrated to 12psi using a hand pump. We hooked up the calibrated boost switch and tidied it all up.

Once the wiring was tidied up, I took it for a spin and saw that the fuel flow was exponentially increased. Wide open throttle dipped from high 12's to into the low 10's.

After getting it back on the dyno, the first pull had the AFR at 10.2 and would begin to misfire as rpms started to get high. After working out the fueling and trying a few things, we settled on 35psi and an AFR we determined to work well for us. We pulled out a substantial amount of fuel in order to get the AFR in check. So yes, the twin pump setup more than exceeded our expectations.

Here are the results on the stock block, twin walbro FullBlown intank pumps with stock lines and 35psi 571whp/481tq overlayed with our 33.7psi octane limited pumpgas 93 numbers of 535whp/477tq.

Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea what your e85 fuel content is?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:34 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Any idea what your e85 fuel content is?
For the testing, should be 85. We have run it down to E63 and seems to work fine.

We have the content analyzer, but are waiting for the price of the $700 sensor to come down. We should be able to get them shortly for around $300-$350 with the Zeitronix ECA gauge.

Last edited by TTP Engineering; Jul 21, 2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought you werent that fond of e85??
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Those injectors look just like the FIC Bluemax; what's you IDC look like now?
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Great writeup
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

if you dont want to spend 700 on the sensor from GM or wherever you want you can always make a run to the junk yard and get one out of a crashed car there on the zeitronix website they tell you where the sensor is located!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

wow alot of tq
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

that gas price 2.19 picture when was that pic taken??? i was just there saturday and it was 2.11 i hope its not goibng back up!!
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by dmoevo
i thought you werent that fond of e85??
I don't recall ever saying that.

We do think there are advantages and disadvantages of meth injection compared to E85.

There are some upfront costs with both. Finding an ethanol station is not always easy. Being stuck on ethanol with no ethanol pumps around is a crappy situation.

With the new stock ecu patches however we can toggle back and forth between 93 and Ethanol 85 thanks to Dave from down under.

Complete injector rescaling, ignition timing and fueling maps on an instant on and instant off switch between one fuel to another.

Works excellent.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:31 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evokid511
that gas price 2.19 picture when was that pic taken??? i was just there saturday and it was 2.11 i hope its not goibng back up!!
Ethanol pricing follows petrol pricing so when one changes, so does the other.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

nice read. id love to convert to e85, but we only have 1 station w/in 25min of me, and the next closest is an hr away, so i cant commit to it.

i've read even though e85 has an octane point of 105, it acts similar to c16 in terms of knock suppressant due to its cooling and burning properties. Would you say that's pretty on track?

Only thing i suggest is removing those crimps for soldered contacts. Should remove possible variables down the road if u guys end up having fuel issues.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
Ethanol pricing follows petrol pricing so when one changes, so does the other.

i havent noticed that at the 3 stations i go to so far regular gas has been going up and E85 has been droping over the last months its gone from 2.35 to 2.15 so thats a nice drop in price while 93 for example has slowly been going up
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:38 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Creamo3
what's you IDC look like now?
The injectors went from 137% at 33psi to 70-80% @ 35psi with the twin pump setup. HUGE volume of fuel increase with the twin pump.
Old Jul 21, 2009, 02:40 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
nice read. id love to convert to e85, but we only have 1 station w/in 25min of me, and the next closest is an hr away, so i cant commit to it.

i've read even though e85 has an octane point of 105, it acts similar to c16 in terms of knock suppressant due to its cooling and burning properties. Would you say that's pretty on track?

Only thing i suggest is removing those crimps for soldered contacts. Should remove possible variables down the road if u guys end up having fuel issues.
The positaps work great. They are not cheap. Personally I don't want to damage the wiring harness of the stock plug. Positaps work excellent in high vibration areas without destroying the wire they tapped like some other taps in the market.

Quick Reply: TTP's FullBlown E85 upgrade and dynotesting on the stock block 571whp/481wtq!