Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

wastegate actuator problem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wastegate actuator problem

I was having a problem with my car because it wouldnt boost over 10 psi and wouldnt spool til about 6000 rpm (fp green turbo). It didn't have any boost leaks so I assumed it was the wastegate as I was taking off the wastegate actuator arm i noticed that the wastegate actuator was on but it left the wastegate halfway open all the time it seems.

My question is why do you think this was? Was the hotside angled wrong? Is the actuator messed up? How can I check the actuator to make sure it works properly before I go through all the trouble of renistalling the hotside.

Also I have it now so that the actuator goes on the hotside perfect where the wastegate is closed all the way but Im just curious why it wasnt this way before so it doesnt happen again.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

How did it 'leave' the flapper open. Was the adjustment nut hanging on the hotside? I've known the actuator adjustment nut to hit the hotside, if the actuator rod got 'clocked' in the wrong position. What was causing the 'open' situation?
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Preload the **** out of that Wastegate!!!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

Take a look at the picture I uploaded. I have the wastegate actuator properly on the actuator arm now but I just want to know why this happened the first time so that I dont accidentally do it again.
Attached Thumbnails wastegate actuator problem-.jpg  
Old Jul 23, 2009, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The wastegate needs to be preloaded.

Set the WGA wingnut into position so it slides easily on/off the flapper arm. Then disconnect the WGA and tighten the wingnut 3 full turns (6 half turns).

It will take some effort to pull the WGA onto the flapper arm, but once you reconnect it, it will be preloaded properly.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by recompile
The wastegate needs to be preloaded.

Set the WGA wingnut into position so it slides easily on/off the flapper arm. Then disconnect the WGA and tighten the wingnut 3 full turns (6 half turns).

It will take some effort to pull the WGA onto the flapper arm, but once you reconnect it, it will be preloaded properly.
Depending on the OP's mods then he could crank the turnbuckle all the way down. On pump gas the 3 full turns is a good rule of thumb but if you are running pump+meth, E-85, or Race gas then crank the stock wastegate down as far as it will go and this is the same for the 18psi wastegate. The 25psi wategate is a bit tricky. I preloaded 4 full turns and I'm holding 30lbs+ without a boost controler. def don't recomend that for pump!
Old Jul 23, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Is there a how to on this? Can you guys please show me what the wingnut is and all that.

Also I dont get why this wasnt a problem before. Ive never needed to mess with this preload stuff
Old Jul 23, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by def1
Is there a how to on this? Can you guys please show me what the wingnut is and all that.

Also I dont get why this wasnt a problem before. Ive never needed to mess with this preload stuff
Go to the bottom of the page on the link. FP made a couple of videos showing you how to add more preload to the wastegate.

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...Lancer-TurboHW
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

thanks. i finally got it fixed. I had to set the preload all the way down in order for it to fit so hopefully i dont have the boost to high
Old Feb 2, 2017, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I know this is a very old thread but did it fix your psi issues after you preloaded your wg? I'm having issues hitting my boost numbers. Please lmk . Tia.