Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Removing the balance shaft,without removing the block

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing the balance shaft,without removing the block

Hello, so on my quest to find what was rattling in my engine, i found that the balance shaft has some play, the dealership says there is no bearing to be replaced, so instead i am taking the eliminator out of my old engine and just removing the balance shaft becuase i have absoultely no funds to buy the ams kit, i heard from a few mechanics that there is a way to take out the balance shaft without taking out the block, is this true??? and if so, please explain to me how this task is accomplished...
Old Jul 25, 2009, 11:15 AM
Evolving Member

......bump

anyone
Old Jul 25, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
You can't just remove the balance shaft. If you remove the balance shaft, you have to remove the balance shaft bearing and spin it 180 degrees so that it blocks off the oil feed hole. If you don't, you will have a massive loss of oil pressure.

Taking out a balance shaft with the motor in the car (in the DSM) involved tilting the motor enough to allow the shaft to be pulled out below the sheet metal/ frame of the wheel well. It was a pain to do, and frankly, it was easier and faster to do the job right and just pull the motor, so you could have easy access to the balance shaft bearings.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

i didnt mean JUST remove the balance shaft, what i meant by that was not putting an aftermarket shaft in,but taking it out andblocking off the feed hole.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Need a balance shaft eliminator kit. Pretty much every vendor, including the dealership sells them.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what's the point of eliminating the balance shaft?
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

mine is wobbling around, im not drivnig my car like that, and my old motor has the eliminator kit in it,so i can just take the the balance shaft out of my motor and put the eliminator kit from my old engine in it, my prob is, i cant afford the labor to have my block taken out,and having the work done ,and i just dont have enough experience pulling it out myself, but i heard from some mechs that you can take out the balance shaft without pulling the motor, which would help save much money on labor.....hopefully... but apparently its faster and easier to just pull it... this sounds like its probably correct..
anyone else wanna add to this/ give opinions??
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
what's the point of eliminating the balance shaft?
Removes a good amount of rotating mass from the engine. There are 2 balance shafts with each weighing about 7lbs or so. Another good reason to remove them is to have one less thing to fail when revving to 9k+ rpms..that one less thing being the balance shaft belt. Removing them also increases the motor's overall oil pressure which is nice too.

To the OP, your best bet in keeping from messing anything else up will be to have it done correctly with the motor being pulled out.
Old Jul 25, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

has anyone ever had the problem of the balance shaft wobbling around?? idk how it happened i only drove the car for 20 miles before i started hearing the sound, dropped the oil pan and pushed on the shaft and it was lose on one end....but no bearing or anything in the pan or engine, no metal in the oil, no nothing....