Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Help..Having Boost Issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the stock ecu will control boost better then a manual boost controler ever will, you do need to ugrade the ebcs though. my tuner chad at cbrd actally switched to using ecu controlled boost from a mbc after tuning on my car. he used to stock and recomend mbc but now he stocks and recomends perrin ebcs and ecu controlled boost. my cars was the first he tuned with a ebcs. also brian from gst on here will tell you the same thing.

jeff
Old Aug 16, 2009, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by atkins
i think you are pretty much on target with cobb's specs for stage two......you are seeing 22psi and then tapering back down just like cobb says. the reason you dont see 1.5 bars in 1st or 2nd gear is because the car is tuned in 3rd gear and that is were the boost target is set. in lower gears its using the same boost target but the load on the engine is less then what it is in 3rd were it was tuned so you wont achieve that 22psi. if you were seeing 22 psi in first and second gear you would probably see 23-34 psi in 3rd, 4th, and 5th as the load is greater....jeff
Atkins is right on target here!!
Old Aug 17, 2009, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what would be the advantages of going with a hallman mbc vs a perrin ebcs?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not much, the only thing that comes to mind would be the ability to change the boost with a turn of a knob in your engine bay, so if you were at the track and wanted a little more power you could just adjust it (dangerous but has been done before). that is not always a good thing though, if the wrong person(like a dealer or shop tech)gets a hold of your car they can turn up the boost and beat on it, yes it has happened plenty of times before.

it seems also that someone led you to believe you could set the boost for the ots map tune and run boost control that way, i would be weary of this because if the mbc doesnt act like the stock bcs then you could be getting more or less boost at a given load point on your tune which is not good.

jeff
Old Aug 18, 2009, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evo unknown
....cobb suggested a mbc but said it was not needed. the person i purchased this from is also feeling.... a mbc or ebc would hold it. he said he had 22lbs in all gears. thats why im leaning towards a hallman mbc......
From what I've seen, an MBC hardly ever controls peakboost consistently across all gears. Almost always the top two gears in a 5-spd. car will read one, or even two PSI higher than peakboost in 1st and 2nd gears. That's why when setting up your MBC initially you'll want to do it in top gear. If you set boost in first, then almost invariably your car will overboost by at least 1 PSI in topgear.

At any rate, I think that the guy that told you he sees a consistent 22# in all gears with his MBC is full of it. To momentarily see 22 PSI in first gear for a heartbeat is one thing. But to HOLD that high of a boost level in first gear for the length of time required to establish whether or not it actually levels off and holds steady, keeps climbing past 22#, or eventually drops down again....He'd be bouncing off the rev limiter and needing to seriously shift up into 2nd in a hurry

I guess that it is possible. However it would run contrary to everything that I have personally experienced or read about on here. IMO, if you want rock steady boost that is certifiable in 1st & 2nd gears then get a high quality EBC, or use the ECU controlled, modded BCS methodology as perfected by Bryan at GST, and etc. I might tend to believe repeatable and consistent boost in 1st and 2nd, using an MBC, if I was shown a boost log however.

Last edited by sparky; Aug 18, 2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 01:25 PM
Evolved Member

hmm thanks for the constant input guys...i have hallman mbc on its way. so i will have to see where that gets me.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Feb 10, 2010, 04:41 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Outside temp drop?