Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

opnions 4' ets intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opnions 4' ets intercooler

i was looking at buying the ets 4' widetank intercooler for my 9 . i was wondering what if anything needs to be trimmed to make this fit.

o and i tried the search button

thanks in advance
Old Aug 24, 2009, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
It should be a direct bolt-on with no trimming required. It was made to fit perfectly on the IX.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:08 PM

that guy is wrong it is the 3.5 that needs no mod to your car
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:17 PM

The 4" will touch the crash beam. And you will need to do some "small" trimming. ETS told me it touched, and I read a thread about the trimming. If you want MAX size with NO touching/trimming you need a Garret 3.8" core. ETS offers one but I havent seen it installed so cant say if it touches? Buschur's race fmic is a 3.8 Garret core but DOES require modding and their licp. I have the CBRD 3.8 Garret core on my IX and it fits perfect with NO modding! Im pretty sure the "trimming" issue is because of the endtank design. Search all three and see what works for you. All great though!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:20 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why you going 4"? You plan to do well over 600whp!?!?!
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
The 4.0" core will fit with no trimming, but the core will touch the crash beam. The part that needs to be trimmed for a 4.0" is the inside of the crash beam right where the corner of the intercooler meets the crash beam. It's not a ton. If you plan on going with a bigger turbo, this would be the one to get!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Michael
Old Aug 25, 2009, 12:00 AM
Evolving Member

Needed to remove my crash beam and completely dremmel out the two front brackets on my evo 9 to fit the ETS 4". The bumper still doesn't fit correctly, it's touching and "stretches" if that makes sense, making it appear to be poor fitment around the headlight area. At some point i'll take it off and try to get it on better, but i'm afraid there isn't much I can do and it was a pretty frustrating install.

Maybe mines a freak, don't know.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by ETS Michael
The 4.0" core will fit with no trimming, but the core will touch the crash beam. The part that needs to be trimmed for a 4.0" is the inside of the crash beam right where the corner of the intercooler meets the crash beam. It's not a ton. If you plan on going with a bigger turbo, this would be the one to get!

If you have any questions, let me know!

Thanks,

Michael
Hi mike, which size would you prefer for a stock turbo or a evored?

Thanks
Old Aug 25, 2009, 01:55 AM

With what other mods??? Stock turbo 3" on "mild" mods would be ok, but id still go at least 3.5". Red I would DEFF go 3.5"+! The stocker is 2.75" I believe? Thats good for the "basics", but as you get into more boost you need more cooling. A 3" isnt much of an upgrade. There are always a few 3" for sale in the forums because they want to go up.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The perrin fmic does not need any trimming and is the only one I've seen that is tested to 120 psi from factory unlike others which are tested to 35psi. Just a piece of mind I guess, but Ets makes great products
Old Aug 25, 2009, 09:27 AM

Can you explain why you prefer thick intercoolers? I have tought that frontal area and thickness should have some reasonable ratio. I have seen that 3" china ic can handle 600+ whp very well. If ic is very thick it has a lot of weight and that stores heat energy. Thin and large IC will cool much better, but if too thin then the resistance will be too big. But IMHO 3" with good quality core should be enough for everyone.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 05:36 PM

Well for one there is no such thing as a GOOD 3" "china made" FMIC? Nothing personal, but I think you may want to research how a FIMC works, and why a ****ty made one is bad. There is a reason that most cars making large numbers have a GOOD 3.5" plus! It would be MUCH harder to get to 600hp on a crap IC! The big issue with ANY fmic is HEAT SOAK, and a thiner one will be FAR worse! 3" is good for "light mods", but IMO anything more NEEDS a bigger fmic. Your also limited on boost with a 3". Try searching the forums some, you may be suprised to see what you find. There are plenty of threads comparing stock (2.75") to 3", and 3" to 3.5-4".
Old Aug 26, 2009, 03:07 AM
Evolving Member

found a great deal on a 4' so just thought why not. but if some are saying the bumper wont fit correctly or i need to do a bunch of trimming ill just go with a 3.5'. cams should be on the way within a week or so just figured time to upgrade the stocker. still on stock turbo for now. thanks for all the replies, this is the best forum on the planet

Last edited by sleeper04; Aug 26, 2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:41 AM

Stock turbo and what mods? What do you do with the car? Track/strip/autoX? You might not "need" a fmic yet? If you do decide to get one look at the Garret 3.8" cores though. Since you "want" a 4", thats going to be the closest you can get with no trimming. Talk to ETS and CBRD. They both offer them with no trimming. The CBRD is a NICE piece! Thats what I have on my car and fit and finish is A++! ETS offers the same core, but I havent seen it insatlled yet so I cant comment on fit/finish? Good luck!
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:44 AM
Account Disabled

my opinion is - its junk.

Quick Reply: opnions 4' ets intercooler