Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: hks bov or greddy bov
hks bov
45.24%
greddy bov
54.76%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

hks bov or greddy type-s

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2004, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOPrincess
Every evo owner has a greddy type S its pretty played out

There is also the new Type RS:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=112539
Old Dec 11, 2004, 08:48 AM

Unhappy

The Greddy Type-S is one of he best bovs for the Evo 8 (especially after the "one spring mod") Thats the reason why most Evo owners have it. I myslef was considering an HKS ver. 2 Evo specific SSBOV kit.. but I dont think over al that its gonna be any better than the Greddy.. well.. except maybe the sound. Im just trying to get a video of some sort to get a good idea of how the Greddy sounds.

-Gary

Last edited by EvO WiD StYLeZ; Dec 11, 2004 at 09:01 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2004, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by 93civEJ1
this is true, but recirculating is any setup.....just as long as you send the released air from the BOV, back into the intake tract!....for VTA....it is again any setup......Heck, we could even make the stock BOV a VTA...we would just have to disconnect and plug the hose coming off the stock BOV, hmmmmmmmmm.....has anyone tried this??? seems like surely someone has???
Yes, I actually tried it, just for kicks. Kept it that way for about a day, running around, giving civics and wrx's crying fits. Then, stopped at a red light and had my first experience with the stalling problem. took it back home and hooked it back up lol.....was actually planning on buying a type-s VERY soon
Old Dec 11, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

JDM MR BOV. Now decode it.
Japanies Demestic Market Mitsubishi Racing Blow-Off Valve
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:33 AM
Former Sponsor

The Type S BOV does have a cool sound. Unfortunately its a piece of junk. After time and wear it starts leaking boost. its up to u in the end but between those two id go with the HKS although i dont like the PIEW sound i like the BLITZ i have 2 of them on my supra.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
Originally Posted by sevensign
I would suggest to use HKS SSQV for VTA...its uses two small n big springs to release that air, mine car running VTA rite now n have no stalling problem, its just a matter of self adjustment to the tension spring to ur driving needs, i've posted one topic on the HKS adjustment setting when VTA. But in the near future i'm gonna try recycle the vented air back to the intake...see how the car responds.
*Another fact dat i want to recircle it back to the intake because theoritically when high press air is vente d to low press at sudden & thru small opening, the air is very much colder, therefore give that little extra cool to the turbo turbine*

Offcourse VTA will run ur car at rich, u can see that if u have A/F ratio meter setup ( Autometer gauges )
http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/g...2darkpopup.jpg

HKS SSQV a way to go nice sound too
I'm going to have to go with you on this one. Even though I'm a new evo owner this is not my first 4g63. In my 91 Talon hade a HKS and I loved it. When sold that car I bought a new Si and boosted it with a Greddy Kit and I wanted to go with a TYpe-S but Ross from Ripp Modifacation explained why the BOV is better. Plus now I have seen where other people in my area who use Type-S have boost leak problems with there car. Ask Rollerway he'll tell you. This kid made 600whp on race gas and could'nt break 11 sec. Why cause he was bleeding boost from the TYpe-S

Last edited by DBallz; Jan 1, 2005 at 11:37 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

Go with the HKS SSQV BOV with recirculation kit , good stuff.
Old Dec 23, 2004, 11:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blackevoVII
greddy-s.

Compromise: APS BOv

No flutter in 5th gear and releasing gas - no ghey nintendo noises

70 bucks more expensive..
hey blackevo....when you ran the APS....was it a dual vent? and if so....any flutter at all? how was the sound.....

as for the type s.....i'm assuming there's alot of flutter on that one?......

i, too am lookin for a bov....and lookin for stock MR BOV....but was really interested in the APS unit....

any extra light shed on this would be greatly appreciated.....thanks

Old Dec 24, 2004, 01:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ian at MVP
The Type S BOV does have a cool sound. Unfortunately its a piece of junk. After time and wear it starts leaking boost. its up to u in the end but between those two id go with the HKS although i dont like the PIEW sound i like the BLITZ i have 2 of them on my supra.

yes the greddy is a pos.. it starts to leak after a while even after the one spring mod.. and it leaks bad after 27psi even if you tighten it all the way

tial and hks are the better choices.. ive also owned the tial and i now have the hks
Old Dec 24, 2004, 08:21 AM

Anyone have the tial? How does is sound and does it leak past say 25psi? Ive been looking into this one although i have never heard it.
Old Dec 25, 2004, 12:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by nchirico
Anyone have the tial? How does is sound and does it leak past say 25psi? Ive been looking into this one although i have never heard it.

I had the tial too.. one of the best.... it sounds great and never leaked on me even on 34psi... great bov
Old Dec 25, 2004, 06:43 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the HKS now.. It flutters a bit, but vents when I want it to after adjusting the primary spring tension slightly.

Its OBSCENELY loud, personally I don't like the sound, but its the ONLY BOV I've tried so far that hasn't eventually started leaking.

There is one problem with aftermarket BOV's.. It takes a long time to adjust them, if they don't vent adequately at part throttle shifts, and your producing boost, it won't vent enough air and you may get RPM's climbing between shifts, or compressor surge..

I have a blowthrough MAF so I am currently VTA, I will run the recirculation pipe back to the intake when I get the recirc fitting for the HKS.. Also I can easily swap between the blowthrough setup, or put the stock MAF back on in a few minutes, so I need it to recirculate.

I don't get it with you guys and that sound.. I personally thing it sounds terribl, I can deal with the fluttering since EVERY DV/BOV flutters, you just can't hear them all the time...

I red the ancient portion of this thread, and wanted to point out the Blitz BOV WILL NOT HOLD BOOST OVER 22PSI No matter WHAT you do.. Heavy spring, shims, etc.. if you put the heavy spring in, you get bad compressor surge, PLUS it doesn't vent enough air volume between shifts when its wide open and venting.

The greddy will begin to leak eventually.. either the spring becomes weakened, or the diaphragm begins to tear.. I don't recommend it.

If you don't want any hassles, leave the damn thing stock, the stock BOV will hold to 21psi for the most part, but it begins to leak as it gets older, (Mine split open at a glued seam)
Old Dec 29, 2004, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollaway
yes the greddy is a pos.. it starts to leak after a while even after the one spring mod.. and it leaks bad after 27psi even if you tighten it all the way

tial and hks are the better choices.. ive also owned the tial and i now have the hks
have you tried with the stock duel springs?

thats what i have in mine and have no leaks

Old Mar 9, 2005, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

I have my greddy vta and no problems, but have also been told it is only good to 25 psi.

Last edited by evoRS04; Mar 9, 2005 at 05:53 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
www.blowoffvalves.com has a few sound clips. the type s is the best quality sound file on there too.

Quick Reply: hks bov or greddy type-s