Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ams Moustache Bar Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
i've had AMS mustache elim and solid side mounts on my car for 40k miles, lost of track miles. still on original axles and TRE rear diff. lots of noise, because i don't have rear seat or carpet, but it's not my DD.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by honda-guy
i've had AMS mustache elim and solid side mounts on my car for 40k miles, lost of track miles. still on original axles and TRE rear diff. lots of noise, because i don't have rear seat or carpet, but it's not my DD.
If you had to DD would the noise be unbearable or just annoying but liveable? I am 90% performance and 10% comfort in my decisions. If it sounds like the cars broke or gonna fall apart that's too drastic but if it's just during decell like I have read and manageable I think the AMS(now torque solutions) elim kit is the way to go other wise I"m going Buschur
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by slippi84
If you had to DD would the noise be unbearable or just annoying but liveable? I am 90% performance and 10% comfort in my decisions. If it sounds like the cars broke or gonna fall apart that's too drastic but if it's just during decell like I have read and manageable I think the AMS(now torque solutions) elim kit is the way to go other wise I"m going Buschur
i'm more 95% performance, 5% street. you hear the noise the most under light throttle and decel because exhaust is not so loud. but under wot, you hear the exhaust is louder, so you wont notice it. it will sound like straight cut gears.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 01:03 PM

i'm more 95% performance, 5% street. you hear the noise the most under light throttle and decel because exhaust is not so loud. but under wot, you hear the exhaust is louder, so you wont notice it. it will sound like straight cut gears.
Cool I'm sold moustache bar elimination kit it is. I"m gonna get the driveshaft bushings in solid too
Old Nov 2, 2015, 02:40 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 813 Likes on 678 Posts
If it helps:

I stripped my interior and added poly diff mounts. The gear whine is loud. Not unbearable, but I don't daily the car. That's subjective, anyway. I like my DDs quiet.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 02:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bump- would love to hear more feedback on the noise level associated with the ams mustache bar eliminator piece... I don't mind a little added noise as it will probably sound raw, which I like- the bigger concern for me is probably the vibration. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 04:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 6spdlegend
Bump- would love to hear more feedback on the noise level associated with the ams mustache bar eliminator piece... I don't mind a little added noise as it will probably sound raw, which I like- the bigger concern for me is probably the vibration. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
i didn't feel any added vibration from solid mounts. just a lot more noise.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 04:36 AM

For me it's all noise and agreed it's more a raw driving experience noise which any real car guy will like. I really didn't feel any increase in vibration or other negative side affects. .
Old Mar 15, 2016, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a small 30 second clip from mine under the car which you can definitely hear. My question is however there is a very audible clunk on the transition from gas pedal to decel that I'm unsure if it's "normal" or if it's something that should be investigated.
Old Jul 2, 2016, 08:38 AM

Can any of you make a video inside the car please? I've just rebuild a new diff and installed a Ams Mustache Delete with new eurethan bushing. But it's prettly loud! Its hard to know if the diff was corectly rebuild. Sound like when i had a dead bearing in the diff but now its all new. Loud High pitch noise sound like a rally car. Maybe the ring gear is not corectly alingned.. I will open it in few day but everything was in the spec when i've closed the diff. If i have no feedback from other owner i will re open the diff.. Remove the Ams parts.. Taking a ride to know if its all good.. And after going back with the Ams...

Thanks in advance if you can save me some time on the car!

I have a sheptrans diff maxxlock rebuild ( new bearings and seals. Ams Mustache Bar Delete. Poly urethane bushings

Last edited by Sleepless; Jul 2, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

i didnt heard any clucking from accel to decel in the car. but the car is pretty loud in general. that's a good camera angle btw, i'll have to try that angle at the track to see the suspension movement and tire flexing.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
i didnt heard any clucking from accel to decel in the car. but the car is pretty loud in general. that's a good camera angle btw, i'll have to try that angle at the track to see the suspension movement and tire flexing.
First diff upgrade from Shep lasted about 2500 miles, had zero issues prior to the upgrade, just sent it in for more lockup. Always seemed a little loud to me after the rebuild but I attributed it to the Quarter Master twin and the AMS moustache eliminator which I added at the same time. I finally just thought "that's too loud to not be an issue", drained the fluid and it was black and burnt smelling. I asked for all the bearings to be replaced but in the end, only one of the pinion bearing was replaced.

Second go, right from the start I thought "nope...still too loud" and sure enough, 100 miles of use and it ate the pinion bearing again.

Sent it to TRE, the pinion bearing was messed up but he also found excessive runout and poor bearing fitment on the side case bearing that probably should have been addressed the first time around. All new bearings and seals along with doing the max-lock upgrade (Shep was just a restack with the larger case bolts).

It's hard to tell what's "normal" noise and what's bad with these parts because between the solid hub clutches and the AMS mount, they make A LOT of noise even when everything is fine.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jul 6, 2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

my diff is TRE max lock mod and 1.5 way. 40k miles on it total. 5 years of track, probably well over 100 track days. no issues at all. its a little noisy during decel, but it's been like that since day one.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my diff is TRE max lock mod and 1.5 way. 40k miles on it total. 5 years of track, probably well over 100 track days. no issues at all. its a little noisy during decel, but it's been like that since day one.
When you say track, do you mean auto-x and road race tracks and not just a drag track? If so, I'm considering getting this over the Buschur bar. I was told before for a road race course (because I eventually want to get into HPDE), I would need a mustache bar as the eliminator was for drag only. But hearing your experience, I have some confidence in the mustache eliminator.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 04:50 AM
Evolved Member

i only do road course. occasionally autox once or twice a year if i have time. usually 20-30 track days a year. there's nothing wrong with using mustache eliminator for track, was on my car for 5 years. i only put the stock mustache back in the car this year with polly pushing because i needed ballast or my race class.