Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ams Moustache Bar Eliminator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2009, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ams Moustache Bar Eliminator

Has anyone on here tried the Moustache Bar Eliminator from AMS? Was seriously considering on purchasing one but I wanted to hear some good stuff about it.
Old Oct 7, 2009, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I have it great peice but get ready for vibration if your good with that NO Problem I can live with it
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Sharkbite2000
I have it great peice but get ready for vibration if your good with that NO Problem I can live with it
Define vibration. Is it the same amount you would get from having solid motor mounts or what? any noticable noise?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Wow, nice screen name! How original. j/k.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MADBISH
Define vibration. Is it the same amount you would get from having solid motor mounts or what? any noticable noise?
It's a little bit different sound, it seems like it amplifies the sound a twin disk makes. It's mostly decel noise. It's pretty loud and annoying imo, it may help, but at the expense of another loud/vibrating part, I wouldn't put it in mine...
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

This is what i did

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...448a142046aa04

No more slamming noise when you shift hard.
Inexpensive
Almost quiet as stock. Little drivetrain whine, barely can hear it.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

It's nice, but for me gets pretty noisy at 60+ mph. I'm actually thinking about replacing the solid aluminum bushings that came with the moustache bar with a set of polyurethane bushings to cut down on the noise. Shifting feel is better, although it is also more sensitive to clunky shifts - read: you'll know when you hit a halfa$$ed shift.

l8r)
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by YzBrad99
This is what i did

https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...448a142046aa04

No more slamming noise when you shift hard.
Inexpensive
Almost quiet as stock. Little drivetrain whine, barely can hear it.
Considering that I look at buschur's page almost every day, sometimes twice a day, I really feel like a dumbass for passing that up. I wish I would have bought that before I bought the ams bar. Ohh well, If I can't live with the side-effects I'll just sell it.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
It's nice, but for me gets pretty noisy at 60+ mph. I'm actually thinking about replacing the solid aluminum bushings that came with the moustache bar with a set of polyurethane bushings to cut down on the noise. Shifting feel is better, although it is also more sensitive to clunky shifts - read: you'll know when you hit a halfa$$ed shift.

l8r)
Are you just going to buy buschur's poly bushing kit to add in?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

I bought a 'complete' Energy Suspension bushing kit, which comes with rear diff bushings (probably the same thing that Buschur is selling). I am going to see if they will fit with the AMS moustache eliminator bar.

l8r)
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are using the original Buschur Moustach Bar, it should and needs to be changed to their new one. The original unit was not built to withstand the daily use/abuse the Evo's can dish out. It was not designed properly and can and did result in failures. I know of at least 4 other cars on the verge of failure (cracks in exact same location as our failure). The pictures below show how the center section gets ripped out of the moustache bar and results in continued failure to the rear diff area.
Remember the 'Diff exploding' video? It wasn't the diff, as a matter of fact, the diff was re-used. When the moustache bar failed, it caused the rear diff to rip the driver's side bolt out of the sub-frame, which dropped the rear end down and pulled the drive shaft out of the stub axle. FOR YOUR SAFETY..If you're running the original Buschur Racing Moustache Bar, INSPECT IT! Don't let this happen at the wrong time and cause an accident. I wasn't going to make this post, but I feel compelled to advise others since I don't believe a safety recall was ever made, other than a 1 on 1 recall. One particular person I talked to discovered not only was his failing, but also one of his friends. My replacement was used for no more than 4 passes and upon returning home, it too began to fail. Clear signs of movement. I went back to the stock moustache bar. 13 lbs isn't worth safety.

Notice that the ONLY part different than factory original is the moustache bar. The side diff supports, bolts, subframe and washers were stock/original. What appeared to be happening was the diff could move forward/rearward just enough to fatique the thin metal plate until it failed. Not sure how the new Buschur unit is holding up.
Name:  P1010523.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  131.8 KB
Name:  P1010522.jpg
Size:  122.6 KB
Name:  P1010521.jpg
Size:  146.7 KB
Name:  P1010525.jpg
Size:  95.4 KB
Old Oct 9, 2009, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^... wow thats a little scary as I just installed my BR mustache bar. They said it was the "new" version. Compared to the first versions it has gusset's (spelling?) that wrap around the section of what bolts to the pumpkin.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 10:08 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by 9sec9
If you are using the original Buschur Moustach Bar, it should and needs to be changed to their new one. The original unit was not built to withstand the daily use/abuse the Evo's can dish out. It was not designed properly and can and did result in failures. I know of at least 4 other cars on the verge of failure (cracks in exact same location as our failure). The pictures below show how the center section gets ripped out of the moustache bar and results in continued failure to the rear diff area.
Remember the 'Diff exploding' video? It wasn't the diff, as a matter of fact, the diff was re-used. When the moustache bar failed, it caused the rear diff to rip the driver's side bolt out of the sub-frame, which dropped the rear end down and pulled the drive shaft out of the stub axle. FOR YOUR SAFETY..If you're running the original Buschur Racing Moustache Bar, INSPECT IT! Don't let this happen at the wrong time and cause an accident. I wasn't going to make this post, but I feel compelled to advise others since I don't believe a safety recall was ever made, other than a 1 on 1 recall. One particular person I talked to discovered not only was his failing, but also one of his friends. My replacement was used for no more than 4 passes and upon returning home, it too began to fail. Clear signs of movement. I went back to the stock moustache bar. 13 lbs isn't worth safety.

Notice that the ONLY part different than factory original is the moustache bar. The side diff supports, bolts, subframe and washers were stock/original. What appeared to be happening was the diff could move forward/rearward just enough to fatique the thin metal plate until it failed. Not sure how the new Buschur unit is holding up.

man thanks for the great info!i know its tough industry right now and people have to stand out with thier prouducts etc. but if its a known problem it should have been said a long time ago
instead of going case by case and replacing them on the hush to protect the vendor.its kind of like the fp reds,alot of people KNOW they self destruct but nobody likes to talk about it really.not trying to start **** just saying how i feel.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 11:08 AM
Former Sponsor

We run the AMS Moustache bar eliminator in both race cars. I just inspected it after the last race and everything looks like it did the day we put it in.

Keith
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 9sec9

How fast was it going? If this happened on the back half of the track it could have been fatal.

Quick Reply: ams Moustache Bar Eliminator