Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Mobil 1 FTL!

Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobil 1 FTL!

I have owned my 05 Evo since day 1, and have put in nothing but Mobil 1 10w-30 in it. It has burned about a quart or so every 3,000 miles - I usually change the oil every ~4k.

I had gotten used to the oil consumption, as nothing ever showed up in the catch can, and it has always had very strong compression. I figured it was the pain of living with a turbo car that was putting down ~390ish at the wheels.

My last oil change, at ~37k, I went to go buy a jug of Mobil 1, but WalMart did not have any on the shelves. I figured I'd give Castrol Syntec a shot. Put in the ~4.5 quarts of 10w-30, and now at ~41k the oil has not moved a bit on the dipstick. Still topped up and full.

Never buying Mobil 1 again!
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to have the same problem with a build 00' GTi VR6 I had for a few years. That car saw nothing but the best treatment, and 5w30 Mobil 1 for years. It burned it like crazy, and I switched to Castrol to give it a shot, and it turned things around.

On a side note, I'm at 2,900 miles on a built motor in the Evo now with AMSOIL and it hasn't burned a drop eithier, very impressed.

ZB.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Isn't syntec half synthetic and half conventional? I don't know if the fact that it's not consuming oil is necesarilly a sign that it's working or lubricating any better.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Anj, how ya been man ?

On topic, add me to the list of converts from Mobil 1. I recently built my shortblock and installed a brand new FP Red w/ FP oil line. I've been running Mobil 1 0w-40 and sure enough, the turbo is smoking with only a few thousand miles on it. Boosting 30psi daily apparently was just too much for this turbo/oil combination.

I know it's a known issue with the FP Red's due to the high turbine velocity and higher-than-normal oil pressure requirements, but nonetheless, I'm disappointed with the oil as well.

I just picked up AMSOIL 0w-30 and a Buschur Tubular T3 kit w/ PT6262 .82 AR. I hope my results with this combo are better than my Mobile 1/FP Red combo.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thats b/c Mobil 1 is on the thin side of its viscosity rating plus its so "slippery" its able to work its way past the piston rings.

Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec are both very quality oils; Syntec actually protects a bit better but doesn't last quite as long. Both are class III oils in North America meaning they're synthetics made from crude, but still legally allowed to call themselves 100% synthetic due to a Mobil vs. Castrol lawsuit (back when NA Mobil 1 was a class IV).
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rongdoer
Isn't syntec half synthetic and half conventional? I don't know if the fact that it's not consuming oil is necesarilly a sign that it's working or lubricating any better.
No, it's should be full synthetic.

As for OP, we got a Castrol converted user. I've used nothing but Castrol Edge before and it runs everything just fine. Just finally I switched to Syntec and shifting without jitters seems a lot easier and drivability seems easier too. I've used Amsoil once and it was great but synthetic is synthetic. You'll only see Amsoil's true potential on paper but when driving and whatnot, why spend the extra money on Amsoil? Syntec works really well for the amount of money you pay for it.

Also, 4.5qts? I just put in 4qts and it's full...
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

I am a strong beliver in Castrol Oil, I feel it is the best for DD's. VW recommends it in all there engines, and some of the oil required in these newer engines would blow you away (only Castol makes it. SYX is the oil and can only be bought at VW dealers, I use it in both my VW's). If they had in the weight I needed for my Buschur engine I would run it w/o a question.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:46 PM

AMS Oil FTW, although I have never had any problems with Mobil 1 10w-30 in my 530whp evo 9.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rongdoer
It says Full Synthetic on the jug
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
Thats b/c Mobil 1 is on the thin side of its viscosity rating plus its so "slippery" its able to work its way past the piston rings.

Mobil 1 and Castrol Syntec are both very quality oils; Syntec actually protects a bit better but doesn't last quite as long. Both are class III oils in North America meaning they're synthetics made from crude, but still legally allowed to call themselves 100% synthetic due to a Mobil vs. Castrol lawsuit (back when NA Mobil 1 was a class IV).
wouldn't lower viscosity help the internals move more freely? just cruiouse if its actualy worth using use such oil even tho some of us experiencing reduction in the oil level.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Piro Fyre
No, it's should be full synthetic.

As for OP, we got a Castrol converted user. I've used nothing but Castrol Edge before and it runs everything just fine. Just finally I switched to Syntec and shifting without jitters seems a lot easier and drivability seems easier too. I've used Amsoil once and it was great but synthetic is synthetic. You'll only see Amsoil's true potential on paper but when driving and whatnot, why spend the extra money on Amsoil? Syntec works really well for the amount of money you pay for it.

Also, 4.5qts? I just put in 4qts and it's full...
Isn't Edge the high mileage stuff? Why that?
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
My local AMSOIL dealer explained to me that Mobil has removed essentially all of the zinc from their oils to make sure they comply with emissions requirements.

But for race builds or pretty much anyone who wants the most protection in their engine, AMSOIL seems to be a smarter choice. The one downside to AMSOIL appears to be it's thickening over long periods of time. I probably won't keep it in the engine for more than 8,000mi as I've heard it starts hindering performance beyond 10k. This isn't really a big deal since I'm used to doing 3,000mi changes on Mobil 1

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html

This is our first opportunity to directly compare Amsoil to Mobil 1, and what we see is fascinating. Amsoil seems to take a completely different approach to its additive package than Mobil. Where Mobil relies on molybdenum, boron, and huge doses of calcium, Amsoil has no moly at all, less than half as much boron, and almost a third less calcium. Phosphorus is similar in both formulas, but Amsoil uses more zinc and almost thirty times more magnesium!

Amsoil's viscosity is also higher, putting it midrange for a 5W30 oil while Mobil 1 tends toward the low end of the range.

Last edited by recompile; Oct 10, 2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by anjapower
Isn't Edge the high mileage stuff? Why that?
Yes, it is and it also claims oil changes every 15k miles or something. My car is 112k miles anyways so why not try.

Since I change my oil every 2k anyways, I decided to go Syntec this route. Drives a lot easier. Edge I think is thicker oil and harder to break into, thus having a claim of lasting 15k miles.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

I've used Mobil 1 10w30 every 3k for the life of my car (40k), and the car doesn't use any oil. After 3,000 miles, the dipstick doesn't show any loss.
Old Oct 10, 2009, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
wouldn't lower viscosity help the internals move more freely? just cruiouse if its actualy worth using use such oil even tho some of us experiencing reduction in the oil level.
Its worth using, its a very good oil. If you're experiencing oil loss though you can certainly try the Castrol Syntec to see if that makes a difference since it is also a very good oil. I'd personally be using Syntec if Mobil 1 wasn't the factory fill (my car has always used Mobil 1 and its working well plus I'm a believer in sticking with something for the life of the car).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mobil 1 FTL!