Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

emergency brake won't hold

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
emergency brake won't hold

hello fellow evo owners. I have a question about the emergency brake on my evo. It seems that I have to pull the handle all the way up for it to hold. is this normal? My other cars toyota, nissan and mazda were all stick and their emergency brakes can hold the car at a 20 degree incline and I didn't even have to pull on it that far. just about 3-4 clicks and that's it. Does anybody out there know where the adjustment on the emergency brake is or should I just bring it back to the dealer. I rather adjust it myself if possible.

"live hard, race hard"
Old Oct 23, 2003, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

did your other cars have druns in the rear? That may be the diff. All disc brakes cars end up with the E-brake going all the way up.......the technical details I don't know about
Old Oct 23, 2003, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the reply. two of the three were drums but one was all disc brakes. I guess I will just have to go back to the dealer and have them adjust the brakes. But if you think about it. When your main brakes go, I sure would like to have the emergency brake grab after 3-4 clicks and not all the way up and not hold enough to stop the car from getting into an accident. What do you think? anybody?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by ex-honda
Thanks for the reply. two of the three were drums but one was all disc brakes. I guess I will just have to go back to the dealer and have them adjust the brakes. But if you think about it. When your main brakes go, I sure would like to have the emergency brake grab after 3-4 clicks and not all the way up and not hold enough to stop the car from getting into an accident. What do you think? anybody?

I don't think it is a problem, but feel free to go back to the dealer.....when its an emergency though my *** would be pullin so hard and fast on the ebrake it wouldn't matter though
Old Oct 23, 2003, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

ya, I guess I'll go back to the dealer. they are a couple of cool guys. not old school mechanics that's always ripping on you when you do modifications of cars. Oh ya. I drove my evo around my area that has alot of twistys and this car drove like it was on rails!!! imagine when I lower the car?

I'm outta here
Old Oct 23, 2003, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Your ebrake cable needs adjusting. Here is how to do it.
Do a search on how to remove the center console..
Attached Thumbnails emergency brake won't hold-ebrake.gif  
Old Oct 23, 2003, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

mine don't hold for **** either...
Old Oct 23, 2003, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Some come from the factory with this thing not adjusted properly.. if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself, then take it to your dealer. It should be able to hold your car on a 20* Incline!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:02 PM
Evolving Member

Mine was bad when I first got it, but it works better since I broke it in. It catches high up, but it grips a lot better. Is there something in the service manual about break-in (bedding) procedure for it or did I make that up?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Mine blows @$$ too!!!
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

jemm thanks for throwing that up. I recently adjusted mine when I swapped out the ebrake handle for a stock unit. It's got much better feel to it now. DO NOT forget to check for dragging as the instructions say!
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

damn I thought it was fine....I am @ the dealer now so I think I will ask em to do it for me
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

At the slightest incline/decline, I have to yank the hell out of mine. It freaked me out getting out of a idling EVO and watching it slowly move . I'll have to try the ebrake adjustment.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

If you haven't already, pick up (or download, google it up) a copy of the evo viii tech cd.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 07:17 AM

well the loose breaks can b a good thing or a bad thing lol. when my car was parked and some idiot backed up into my car at like 15 mph, my car got knocked back like 5 feet. i am guessing that, the movement absorbed all the impact cause my car took like zero damage. i even had my car brought to the dealership and an independent shop to check it out. everyone was like it's fine, it was as if there wasnt an accident to begin with.

Quick Reply: emergency brake won't hold