Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

MAPertormance SST Turbo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
off topic: when is the bbk-b coming out, anyone know? really want to see what that turbo can do
Old Mar 17, 2010, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
off topic: when is the bbk-b coming out, anyone know? really want to see what that turbo can do
you made your choice you have a fp red dont worry about it
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbyevo8u
There are a couple threads in the dyno results thread I believe, and it is making awesome power. Definitely my turbo choice in the future.

-Will
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't run the SST.

I tried to use my car as a test subject and then send them the turbo back... They didn't want to do that. I'm willing to bet it is a piece and is not even comparable to a Green. Any reputable shop would gladly let a third party test a product because the results are then non-bias!

MAP is a great shop and I know a lot of people that work there. They are always amazing to me and take care of me. I however don't run any of the "MAP" Products. I'm also surprised that Chis has not got in this forum.

Mikey
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is absolutely nothing wrong with considering the SST. It's just a matter of if you want to take some calculated risk. It seems highly unlikely that you would NOT make more power than you have now. It seems somewhat to marginally likely that it may be inferior to more expensive turbos in terms of performance and customer support (nothing against MAP at all, big fan, just that FP and CBRD have more of a market share which=more likely for long-term product support). It is certain that it is cheaper. List those factors in order of your priority, determine if you can afford what you want in a reasonable timeframe, how much you want it now, how much you want to be different/a pioneer/guinea pig, and decide from there.

I for one would like to see you run it just so we have another example of what this turbo is really capable of. Even if it doesn't meet the perfoarmanc of the more expensive turbos, if it makes good power for the money in the right places, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Last edited by hokiruu; Mar 17, 2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 09:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
I wouldn't run the SST.

I tried to use my car as a test subject and then send them the turbo back... They didn't want to do that. I'm willing to bet it is a piece and is not even comparable to a Green. Any reputable shop would gladly let a third party test a product because the results are then non-bias!

MAP is a great shop and I know a lot of people that work there. They are always amazing to me and take care of me. I however don't run any of the "MAP" Products. I'm also surprised that Chis has not got in this forum.

Mikey
You do understand that we simply can't send this turbo out to everyone that wants to do testing right? We had I believe 5 or 6 people that committed to testing these and as far as I know all have posted positive results. Now, when you compare that to the hundreds of people running and writing about other turbos I'm sure you can see how those threads would get lost in the mix.

Your comment about this turbo being a "piece" without having ever seen or used the product is upsetting to say the least. I understand that there is limited information on this turbo, but have you ever considered how this product affects our relationships with vendors like FP and CBRD? That is the main reason you haven't seen or heard much about this turbo as we need to make a decision on how we would like to proceed with our turbo program, if at all...

Additionally, we have made 475whp in house on E85, another customer made ~460whp on our dyno on E85, and a third made just short of 400whp on pump gas. If these numbers fit your goals you will be happy with the SST, I personally guarantee it. Additional feedback is coming soon as well as I will be installing the SST on my personal car very shortly and Dan O. (rawkus) will be running the SST on his time attack car this season
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:28 PM
Account Disabled

Chris,

LMK if we can help if you guys make any changes.

cb
Old May 13, 2010, 02:13 PM
Evolving Member

Any other results for this turbo on an 8?
I don't see many cars that documented the results
Old May 13, 2010, 02:19 PM
Former Sponsor

This turbo was discontinued with only 15 or so in circulation, as a side note they were discontinued for reasons other than performance of the product...
Old May 13, 2010, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

I see so you were "forced" to stop selling these?
Too bad, no wonder turbos are high price...
Give me your details as I could start selling those FROM Canada, quite a bit of less pressure from here I'm sure.
Old May 13, 2010, 04:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Nothing was forced upon us, we simply don't have the manpower to run a turbo outfit as it quickly became obvious that you need to dedicate a lot of time and money to properly run a turbo program! lol
Old May 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RockmanX
just get a exedy twin and be done with it pure_evo i cant believe your even considering this turbo seriously bro
lOl!

True, but a bit harsh.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChrisCarey
Nothing was forced upon us, we simply don't have the manpower to run a turbo outfit as it quickly became obvious that you need to dedicate a lot of time and money to properly run a turbo program! lol
This was a replacement turbo not an upgrade on a stock turbo right? Honestly I am preety sure this turbo used the same turbine and compressor of the TOMEI ARMS and the Kamak turbos.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 08:47 AM

I run the map sst turbo with an e85 tune an I was pushing around 505..
Old Jan 7, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

I got the very last SST Turbo from MAP. I will tell you that as soon as I opened the box I knew this was a high quality turbo. It's a shame that they didn't have the means to keep making these. I'll be posting a dyno chart in a few months when it goes in my car, along with my new 2.4L