Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
Diagueen LSD no modifier. Just what Shep recommended.

I'm not sure if the Shep is the same lock up as the TRE, but it's enough lock up that it works great.

Just thought I emphasis something that goes along with R/T Ernie post. You can try to tune an EVO like a FWD by taking away traction from the back and getting a ton upfront. All this does though is make the car want to snap oversteer anytime you get off the throttle or trail brake which makes the car hard to drive.

This diff is like the complete opposite. It let's you slide the back around under power, the FWD tuning will never do that. But it also provides better rotation on trail braking, but it is MUCH more predictable and less "snappy" then the FWD tuning method.

Just to complete the specs, I run 10k/12k coil overs on the stock swaybars. I also have an RS front diff. It is the perfect balance IMO. I'd say rear diff #1 mod and front diff a close second. The rear diff lets you get the back end pointing where you want it, and the front diff lets you hit the apex hard under full throttle, it just goes where ever you point it.

I got the front diff/T-case upgrade and rear diff done at the same time. It was just slightly over $1000 from Shep for both combined.
when you say rs front diff are you talking ab the oem front diff included in the later evos?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i think he means evo 7 helical lsd)
Old Aug 8, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi*guy.kiev
i think he means evo 7 helical lsd)
i believe the evo8 rs and all the later evos also had helical type front lsds
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arent the 05+ front diffs 1 way, clutch style? Anybody running a 2 way on the front?
My TRE diff has been really quiet after it got broken in. The only noise I get is a slight clanking when I turn into an incline. I use redline 80w140. but gonna be switching to amsoil 75w140 and try that out.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
Arent the 05+ front diffs 1 way, clutch style? Anybody running a 2 way on the front?
My TRE diff has been really quiet after it got broken in. The only noise I get is a slight clanking when I turn into an incline. I use redline 80w140. but gonna be switching to amsoil 75w140 and try that out.
140? is that recommended? i broke my cusco in with 90, maybe i'll switch.. does the fluid protect better or something? any side effects etc?
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
140? is that recommended? i broke my cusco in with 90, maybe i'll switch.. does the fluid protect better or something? any side effects etc?
Jon recommended redline 75w140 for my setup, which was autox with some dd. It was broken in with that fluid and flushed out and replaced at ~200 miles. Im really ocd so I flushed it out after another 400 miles. I am not sure what cusco recommends for theirs but 140 should be fine. If you live in really cold weather maybe something thinner for those months is better, idk.
I might actually try that redline NS and see how different it really is from the other 80w140 I have been using.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Jon recommended redline 75w140 for my setup, which was autox with some dd. It was broken in with that fluid and flushed out and replaced at ~200 miles. Im really ocd so I flushed it out after another 400 miles. I am not sure what cusco recommends for theirs but 140 should be fine. If you live in really cold weather maybe something thinner for those months is better, idk.
I might actually try that redline NS and see how different it really is from the other 80w140 I have been using.
thanks - i drive similarly, except i havent been autocrossing because I haven't had tires. I did autocross once with the cusco with 90w oil and really crappy tires, so hopefully I haven't damaged the diff any. I think I'll go ahead and switch to 140w the next time I change.. I read somewhere else just today that 140w was what they ran for the cusco.. there's also a 110 weight though which I was leaning towards - any input there? I'm in IL so it gets pretty cold, but I typically don't drive it in the winter as it's not my dd.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

thanks - i drive similarly, except i havent been autocrossing because I haven't had tires. I did autocross once with the cusco with 90w oil and really crappy tires, so hopefully I haven't damaged the diff any. I think I'll go ahead and switch to 140w the next time I change.. I read somewhere else just today that 140w was what they ran for the cusco.. there's also a 110 weight though which I was leaning towards - any input there? I'm in IL so it gets pretty cold, but I typically don't drive it in the winter as it's not my dd.
Im in Northern Cali, it doesnt get as cold as IL. I think 140w in your winters would still be ok, but I would look at something thinner anyways. Im originally from the midwest so I know how cold it can get. I think one or two autox with 90w wont hurt it at all. If Cusco recommends 140w and say you did two or three HPDEs in the dead of summer, then maybe I would have some worry. Just change it out when you can to what Cusco recommends. If there are no abnormal shavings in the drain plug or weird noises in your diff, you should be alright.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 09:10 PM
Evolved Member

Im in Northern Cali, it doesnt get as cold as IL. I think 140w in your winters would still be ok, but I would look at something thinner anyways. Im originally from the midwest so I know how cold it can get. I think one or two autox with 90w wont hurt it at all. If Cusco recommends 140w and say you did two or three HPDEs in the dead of summer, then maybe I would have some worry. Just change it out when you can to what Cusco recommends. If there are no abnormal shavings in the drain plug or weird noises in your diff, you should be alright.
well i changed the oil once already after i think 2k miles and there were a lot of shavings, but that was the first break in of the diff. i'll have to check after this change now though
Old Aug 9, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolving Member

Amsoil SVG 75-140 with just a teaspoon of Amsoil Slip Lock added is what I use and what I recommend for the rear diff for track use. Killer stuff and not a single metal shaving to date. I used to run the 75-90, but with my increasing abuse on the rear and after blowing one up, the 75-140 gives me some added insurance and performs beautifully.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RunThat
Amsoil SVG 75-140 with just a teaspoon of Amsoil Slip Lock added is what I use and what I recommend for the rear diff for track use. Killer stuff and not a single metal shaving to date. I used to run the 75-90, but with my increasing abuse on the rear and after blowing one up, the 75-140 gives me some added insurance and performs beautifully.
what rear diff were you running? i'm hearing mixed things about what kind of fluid to run. i dont drive my car all that much at all, and autocross about twice a month or so - i probably will stick with the 75w90, or 75w110 if anything different
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

what rear diff were you running? i'm hearing mixed things about what kind of fluid to run. i dont drive my car all that much at all, and autocross about twice a month or so - i probably will stick with the 75w90, or 75w110 if anything different
didnt you say your making about 350hp? With Cusco recommending 140 and your higher hp numbers I would stick with 140.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

didnt you say your making about 350hp? With Cusco recommending 140 and your higher hp numbers I would stick with 140.
about 370 to the wheels. probably 10 less for torque in ft lbs. someone else with the cusco that i PM'd has been telling me that for daily driving + autocross the 75w90 is fine. i'm not sure if cusco did recommend 140.. i dont know what's going on anymore lol

i think i'll just take the middle road and go with 110. the guy i was pm'ing also mentioned the issue of the fluid not getting hot enough to operate properly for something like autocross.. track is a different story, but autocross and dd he thought it would actually be better to stay at 140.. if a definitive authority could come in and suggest something that would be great..

Last edited by kyoo; Aug 9, 2010 at 08:23 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

A fully modded stock one with all plates in use. I'm making about 530hp and 430tq and do quite a bit of drag racing. The Amsoil SVG 75W-140 works beautifully.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RunThat
A fully modded stock one with all plates in use. I'm making about 530hp and 430tq and do quite a bit of drag racing. The Amsoil SVG 75W-140 works beautifully.
ah - which were you running when you blew it? the stocker with 75w90? any comments on the diff in corners or is it mainly beefed up for drag racing?

Quick Reply: Rear Diff Options - Power Oversteer Found Here