Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
This is a good idea for the guys that are playing around 500 whp. I'm just curious to see the Torque / Hp rating on the trans upgrade. But personally i think it's going to be close (price wise) to swaping in a 5spd
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a semi been waiting a long time for this and thought Shep might be the ones to answerm if so i can see one of these sets down under by the end of the year....
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Erik@MIL.SPEC
You saw the new gears with the thicker teeth, right? There shouldn't really be a comparison to an OEM 6 speed with this gear upgrade, based upon how the upgraded 3, 4 and 5 look. Not to mention, 1, 2 and 3 on the 6 speed are wider than the 5 speed.
hey erik, just a heads-up. these gears only fix one of the problems with the 6-speed.
i lost 2 boxes to warping the 3-4 slider. it gets hot and they can tweak under roadrace conditions. i ran an evo 8 for a couple years with no issues and once i swapped a 5-speed into the current car we went back to zero trans problems again.

the gears only deal with the strength issues but this still doesn't do anything for heat. the problem is the sliders in the 6-speeds just have way less material than the 5's. sn voidhawk had the same thing happen to him and took a pic of the burnt 6-speed part compared to the 5
5 on left 6 on right. you can see that the 5 has almost double the material in the collar/channel area.

also there was a guy running scca t1 a few years back and had lost a couple boxes to this same thing. he had the guys up at works throw a cooler on it and dumped the return right on this part and that kept the issue away for most of the year but he still ended up losing that box by the end of the season to the same problem.

Last edited by smack_evo; Mar 12, 2010 at 01:46 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smack_evo
hey erik, just a heads-up. these gears only fix one of the problems with the 6-speed.
i lost 2 boxes to warping the 3-4 slider. it gets hot and they can tweak under roadrace conditions. i ran an evo 8 for a couple years with no issues and once i swapped a 5-speed into the current car we went back to zero trans problems again.

the gears only deal with the strength issues but this still doesn't do anything for heat. the problem is the sliders in the 6-speeds just have way less material than the 5's. sn voidhawk had the same thing happen to him and took a pic of the burnt 6-speed part compared to the 5
5 on left 6 on right. you can see that the 5 has almost double the material in the collar/channel area.

also there was a guy running scca t1 a few years back and had lost a couple boxes to this same thing. he had the guys up at works throw a cooler on it and dumped the return right on this part and that kept the issue away for most of the year but he still ended up losing that box by the end of the season to the same problem.
My 6 Speed currently has the 5 to 6 shift problem, it's utter misery. I gotta look through the emails my friend sent me again but I'm pretty sure Shepherd is also addressing this issue in some way, gotta confirm.

Edit: Yes they are addressing the 5 - 6 shift slider problem, however there is no guarantee they will be able to come up with something foolproof as of yet.

Last edited by NYCFJV7; Mar 12, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Sean.

As of right now, I am a stubborn **** and want to use the 6 speed

But I bet that attitude might change if I start breaking things.

The Castrol SynTorq LT I use in my box is specifically formulated to combat heat (LT stands for low temperature). I think it should help keep temps down compared to the OEM fluid. Also, I will be running a trans cooler at some point...and I don't nearly beat on my car like you do

-Erik

Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
WrxToEvo (carlos) and I lost the 5-6 slider prior to the TSB. I replaced mine and then swapped to a 5 speed. The other problem with the 6 speed is getting parts for the input shaft and 1-3 specifically. CAPS shows it as an assembly, though I'd suspect that Shep has come up with something for that as well.

We had toyed with the idea of sending 6 speed parts to M Factory to have them come up with something made to fix it. As was pointed out the 5-6 hub slider doesnt like abuse though so hopefully this fixes some issues. If it does maybe I'll toss a 6 back in and do SilverState
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offtopic.... but I was going for 190mph at the Texas Mile but my engine blew before the trans did. Looks like Oct. will be my time to go for it again.

This is fantastic news if it is true.

Laramie
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:44 AM

Just an update for you guys. John is still doing the preliminary fitting and testing for these gearsets. I took the plunge and decided to give him a spare trans I have so that he could go through it and fit a gear set and we could do some preliminary testing with my time attack car.

I believe he's waiting until I get mine in and he gets his in the drag car before they are officially released in case there are any issues.

John is not one to release an inferior product, however the gear sets ARE REAL and are very close to release.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
You can always do a 5 speed with the 4.0 M factory, 4.11 HKS, 3.84 or 3.73 from TRE as well.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mordecaict9a
Just an update for you guys. John is still doing the preliminary fitting and testing for these gearsets. I took the plunge and decided to give him a spare trans I have so that he could go through it and fit a gear set and we could do some preliminary testing with my time attack car.

I believe he's waiting until I get mine in and he gets his in the drag car before they are officially released in case there are any issues.

John is not one to release an inferior product, however the gear sets ARE REAL and are very close to release.
Thanks for the update !
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Aaron M Factory also has a 4.928 final drive listed now as well for the 5 speeds...
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Smack, I build trannies here. that issue of heat on slider only comes from resting hand on shifter during acceleration. very common problem with many trans. proper driving is the fix
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AHHHHH I just sent out a 5spd I bought a few months back to Shep last Friday This would come out now. The 5spds are proven to be solid though when being built, so Ill still be happy.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 38six
IDK whose with me on this, but its always been my opinion that the 6 speed has a better rpm drop for auto x and road race. Also not to mention taming that hgwy exhaust drone at 70-80 mph. This would be excellent for improving on the the dd commute hands down. So if it's able to accept some where around 450-500 tq/ 600-650 whp this is perfect for me. I just want to know how much?
Count me in as well. Hopefully the price is reasonable.

Last edited by metalsaber; Mar 12, 2010 at 11:48 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 12:11 PM

I'm down

Quick Reply: Upgrading / Reinforcing the 6 speed