Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Amsoil VS Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2010, 01:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsoil VS Royal Purple

Which turned out better?? Let me know what you guys think....
Evo owners have argued this issue recently...
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well you need to do better than that, royal purple gets beat by auto zone brand oils

thats a very easy brand oil to beat by almost any other oil brand
Old Apr 22, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok that last post lacked any real meat whatsoever, Apagan01 you've been on here a long time and I know you're better than that. For the OP, here is some good reading that you, and a lot of people, would do good to read: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html it is kinda long but it is an indepth, independent groups individual results which are backed up by oil analysis. Basically it says the same thing that Apagan01 says above but actually backs it up.

Josh
Old Apr 22, 2010, 09:29 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Ok that last post lacked any real meat whatsoever, Apagan01 you've been on here a long time and I know you're better than that. For the OP, here is some good reading that you, and a lot of people, would do good to read: http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/amsoil.html it is kinda long but it is an indepth, independent groups individual results which are backed up by oil analysis. Basically it says the same thing that Apagan01 says above but actually backs it up.

Josh
Josh

thanks for posting the data, i will get off my lazy but and inject some info here, i might be able to dig up some customers lab results.

sorry man but its that we have seen this so many times over and over that i forget that some may not have been down this path yet.

to the OP,
Royal Purple has proven over and over to break down way too quick, specially in turbo charged applications, this oil it is almost a very well marketed oil, for example you see royal purple plastering their adds all over turbo magazine and many other mags, but when it comes to product realiability they are really horible, i think the evo community has been very smart at educating themselves and they know what oils actually are good for their $30,000 plus investment.
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
The closests competitor I would think would be redline Royal Purple is garbage especially when you start adding big hp to the engine
Old Apr 22, 2010, 10:05 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DBallz
The closests competitor I would think would be redline Royal Purple is garbage especially when you start adding big hp to the engine

you hit it right on the nail sir,,,

Red Line is 2nd in the game.

but i think the OP is talking motor oils, and redline would be for gears
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
you hit it right on the nail sir,,,

Red Line is 2nd in the game.

but i think the OP is talking motor oils, and redline would be for gears
Well including motor oil redline I think would be the closest runner-up to Amsoil. Royal Purlpe i just feel is trash
Old Apr 22, 2010, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys AMSOIL it is!! So what do I get 5w-30 for Cali weather??
DC sports turbo back
Forge BOV
WR oil tank
HKS mega intake+upper intercooler pipe
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:33 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by AboodsEvo
Thanks guys AMSOIL it is!! So what do I get 5w-30 for Cali weather??
DC sports turbo back
Forge BOV
WR oil tank
HKS mega intake+upper intercooler pipe
or ATM 10W30 its for turbo charged vehicles
Old Apr 22, 2010, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by apagan01
or ATM 10W30 its for turbo charged vehicles
Thanks for the insight, and I would like to see some hard facts from customers cars. I recently gave away five quarts of royal purple that I've been moving around for the past few years because I refuse to put it in any of my cars. I even warned the guy I gave it to that he shouldn't use it. But with the ad campaign that they run, he was sold. Some people refuse to do any research beyond tv commercials. People need to remember that this is not your grand dads V-8 nor is it your old Chevy Cavalier z-24 that you used to think was fast (yes I owned one and I thought it was fast! 9.76 in the 1/8th LOL)

Josh
Old Apr 23, 2010, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmelocik
Thanks for the insight, and I would like to see some hard facts from customers cars. I recently gave away five quarts of royal purple that I've been moving around for the past few years because I refuse to put it in any of my cars. I even warned the guy I gave it to that he shouldn't use it. But with the ad campaign that they run, he was sold. Some people refuse to do any research beyond tv commercials. People need to remember that this is not your grand dads V-8 nor is it your old Chevy Cavalier z-24 that you used to think was fast (yes I owned one and I thought it was fast! 9.76 in the 1/8th LOL)

Josh

I first learned about Amsoil back in 2000 when I bought a Civic Si and then turbo charged it on stock block. Needless to say it's didn't last very long. After rebuilding the motor top and bottom and Hondata my engine builder/tuner recommended something other than Mobil 1. He said all he uses is Amsoil in all the high perfromance customer's cars. When I did the research I was so sold. Plus at the time he had a GSR race car putting down 600whp running high 9's which back then was something special. From that point on I have used Amsoil in all of my cars, bikes, and my parents older everyday beater cars. I most recently did some motor work on my 2001 Suzuki and changed the crank, pistons, rods, cams, and added my old evo 8 turbo. All the old parts look great