Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Serpentine Belt- front pump wheel shaking, need advice please!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2010, 04:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serpentine Belt- front pump wheel shaking, need advice please!

Hey all,

Would really like to ask for some help on a problem with my evo 9, will try to describe it as accurately as possible.

Just over a week ago, I started noticing a squeaking noise coming from the engine bay when the engine was sufficiently warmed up. It remained while the car was stationary. It was also raining heavily the first few days I noticed it. A few days later it got dry and the noise correspondingly didn't occur, except at sub-1000 revs or when turning off the engine.

Took it to a friend I trust (I live in China, very hard to find a good mechanic) and he thought it was the serpentine belt. He also notcied the wheel on the front pump (the one that's closest to the front and top of the engine bay) was shaking quite badly.

The shaking and squeak seems to be very strong after hard driving, but if the engine is still cold or I drive with low revs, it doesn't seem to occur. Is it possible that this is just the pump or can it be related to the turbocharger as well, since it's very close and the problem only seems to occur during driving that utilizes the turbo?

My friend recommended I replace the pump as the wheel and mounting for the belt isn't sold seperately and the belt could easily come off if it starts shaking too hard. Only problem is it's quite expensive ($800+) from the official dealer. And I'm not sure if there isn't a bigger problem that could ruin the new pump & wheel as well.

I'd just like to make sure I'm doing the right thing by replacing the pump or could it be part of a bigger problem?

Thanks a lot!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

look for a used one, I mean if it's shaking badly as your friend stated then what else could it be?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

do you have a loss of power steering?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have this same problem but it only occurs sometimes. Really weird. No loss of power steering and no noise. Car doesnt act up. I just looked at it one day and the pulley was shaking. I am going to buy a new pump but the car still runs and drives fine.
Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the water pump?
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:32 AM

Pretty sure that's the power steering pump (left of the engine bay, closest to the front & top) No loss of power steering so far, car runs fine, just the previously mentioned squeaks or you can faintly hear the pulley shaking when driving at slow speeds.

At other times though, the pulley will just spin straight, with no vibrating at all...

Lot of money to spend just for a pump, I think it's probably more expensive to buy parts in China....sigh.

Thanks for the advice.
Old Apr 26, 2010, 07:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find them on the forums used for around 350. Dont know what shipping is to china though.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 09:25 PM

Actually, I got lucky. Bought one on E-bay for $230 including international shipping. Think it may be the same noise many people in this thread are experiencing:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...elt-video.html

Hoping the new pump will cure it (at least the belt won't come off), but think I'd better check & grease all the other pulleys just to be sure. Will see how it turns out.