Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

need to find out which wastegate actuator to run

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need to find out which wastegate actuator to run

I just picked up a ppi 10.5 hotside for my Evo 8 9.8 turbine housing Turbo. Just put it on and try adjusting the rod for the wastegate actuator but it was so far out the thread wouldn't catch the flapper arm. So what waste gate actuator do I need to run Evo 9?

Last edited by itr.#1446; May 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am a bit confused,,,do you have a stock IX turbo with a Paradigm ported 10.5 turbine housing? What actuator is on there now? Also, how much boost do you want to be running?
Old May 5, 2010, 11:12 PM

Sorry edited the original post to be a bit more clear...when I tried to put the wastegate actuator on with the rod end screwed on a couple turns so it wouldn't fall off it seemed that there was way too much preload on the diaphragm

Last edited by itr.#1446; May 5, 2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old May 5, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

So, you have an Evo VIII turbo onto which you have installed a 10.5 cm turbine housing? And you are running the stock wastegate actuator that came with your stock Evo VIII turbo, right?
Old May 5, 2010, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What do you mean, prepossessing... I can't understand big words like that!

I have never found a wastegate actuator that didn't work. Some you need to cut the threads back a bit but they all work!

Mikey
Old May 5, 2010, 11:49 PM

Yes Sparky you are correct

Blackcarbonevo sorry I'm am posting from my phone and when I type a word sometimes it doesn't like it and changes it I wanted to say preload and it said fu ill put prepossessing my mistake for not reading it over idk what that's means either
Old May 5, 2010, 11:52 PM
Evolved Member

Mikester: I am sure that he meant to say "preloaded", and not prepossesed....However, is prepossesed any different from a cocked-&-locked single-action auto pistol?
Old May 5, 2010, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Mikester: I am sure that he meant to say "preloaded", and not prepossesed....However, is prepossesed any different from a cocked-&-locked single-action auto pistol?
hahaha see you would think of that spark! I thought he ment pre (before) possession! I was going to be like, you are putting way to much thought into the wastegate to be going insane and getting possessed by the devil! lol

Mikey
Old May 6, 2010, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

How much is to much preload. Take a pic and post it on here so I can see it. I like to have the diaphragm having a gap of between .125 and .25".

Mikey
Old May 6, 2010, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

itr.#1446: Your stock VIII actuator should still work when going from the 9.8 to the 10.5 cm turbine housing. What you need to visualize is that since the casting of the 10.5 turbine housing is a larger overall diameter than the casting of the smaller 9.8, then the specific location and relative distance between the two WGA mounting bolts on the VIII turbo's compressor housing and the flapper valve's pivot arm will require a different adjustment on the threaded wastegate actuator rod. Capiche?

EDIT: PM me if you have more difficulties.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:10 AM
Evolved Member

Spark, when you getting your Red up and running? When you do you should get some vids

Mikey
Old May 6, 2010, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

My friend I am old and these seemingly minor projects evolve into a Jonah and the Whale type of thing for me! Perhaps you would be so kind as to read my current starter thread RE: turbocharger drain pipe gakets....as this minor hiccup has me stymied. Thanks.
Old May 6, 2010, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BLKCarbonEVO
How much is to much preload.... I like to have the diaphragm having a gap of between .125 and .25"....Mikey
For me this depends on the particular WGA, the particular peak boost level, the level of spoolup desired, the type of boost control employed, etc...

I like the WG spring pressure to be set at about 3# under what the boost control device is set to limit peak boost at. Granted, my experience is limited to MBC setups. Admittedly, I know next to nothing about EBC's, or ECU controlled boost setups.
Old May 6, 2010, 01:09 AM
Evolved Member

itr.#1446: Imagine a world in which the only method of controlling your turbo's peak boost level is strictly mechanical. First, disconnect your MBC, EBC, or stock ECU controlled boost system. Plug up any unused hoses and ports. etc.

Run a hose directly from your turbo's compressor housing discharge nipple to the nipple on the stock WGA. Remove the cotter pin that holds the end of the WGA rod onto the flapper valve's pivot arm. Pry the actuator rod off of the WGA's pivot arm.

On the threaded end of the actuator rod is a turnbuckle. The turnbuckle has a hole in it. Adjust the turnbuckle so that the hole in the turnbuckle freely slides on and off of the peg on the flapper valve's pivot arm. This is wastegate base pressure(about 11#).

Now, from WG base pressure rotate the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod inward(clockwise) three full 360* turns. This should get you into the ballpark for runnung about 18-22# of boost....If however you desire to run a higher peakboost level(23-27#)then you may want to dial in another turn or two of preload.