Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Cam position sensor question

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cam position sensor question

So Im trying to figure out my horrible misfire issue, Im coming to the conclusion that the CPS is bad. It misfires only in boost. I have tried 3 different sets of plugs and 2 seperate heat ranges (BPR8ES and BR9ES). Gaps I have tried were from .023 to .020 and nothing seems to work.

I pulled the sensor out last night and noticed that there was quite a bit of oil in the housing. Is this normal?

I do run something equivelant of a BR COP since it is wired the same. As well as a AEM EMS. When on the dyno on Saturday there was a misfire around 6200 and when I got the car home it progressively got a lot worse.

Is this typical of a faulty CPS? Mitsu, Autozone, and Advanced all have the sensor in stock but I just want a few other opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 11, 2010, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would try the stock coils and plug wires to see if it quits breaking up before you blame it on the ecu. What boost levels is it breaking up at? There should be oil in the Cam Sensor housing.
Old May 11, 2010, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill have to find someone with stock coils near me. I got rid of mine last year.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dryad001
So Im trying to figure out my horrible misfire issue, Im coming to the conclusion that the CPS is bad. It misfires only in boost. I have tried 3 different sets of plugs and 2 seperate heat ranges (BPR8ES and BR9ES). Gaps I have tried were from .023 to .020 and nothing seems to work.

I pulled the sensor out last night and noticed that there was quite a bit of oil in the housing. Is this normal?

I do run something equivalent of a BR COP since it is wired the same. As well as a AEM EMS. When on the dyno on Saturday there was a misfire around 6200 and when I got the car home it progressively got a lot worse.

Is this typical of a faulty CPS? Mitsu, Autozone, and Advanced all have the sensor in stock but I just want a few other opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Hi it appears that I have the same problem.
Up until 6200 all fine, then if i keep going it seems like it is hesitating until redline (obvious lack of power) and then after that it runs on 3 cylinders for 2-10secs until it clears up...
My car is an evo 9 with oem turbo and tune on the OEM ecu (speed density).

Did you find what was the problem? I am at a dead end at the moment as i checked pretty much everything and any help would be much appreciated at the moment!!

Thank you in advance