Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Kiggly HLA Pressure regulator, worth doing?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2012, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I did mine this weekend as I stated. It took literally 120-seconds to install. Too easy!
Old May 15, 2012, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed mines Yesterday. Took all ~30seconds to take of the old one and to put on the new one. Idiot proof installation instructions lol.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thank you Kevin. Great part and great instructions
Old Jul 15, 2012, 04:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHY OH WHY didn't I ever see this thread before it would have saved me a set of rod bearings! Ordered my about an hour ago!
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

I noticed a bit less oil in the catcher after the ol' Kiggly.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WongFu
WHY OH WHY didn't I ever see this thread before it would have saved me a set of rod bearings! Ordered my about an hour ago!
Make sure your motor builder also eliminates your balance shaft. This will also plug off some oil holes forcing more oil to other places in the motor.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Street gear
Make sure your motor builder also eliminates your balance shaft. This will also plug off some oil holes forcing more oil to other places in the motor.
SO YOU NEED TO GET A BALANCE SHAFT ELIMINATOR KIT + HLA Pressure Regulator, IT WILL GOOD FOR 2.3L??
Old Oct 7, 2012, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crisdiarata
SO YOU NEED TO GET A BALANCE SHAFT ELIMINATOR KIT + HLA Pressure Regulator, IT WILL GOOD FOR 2.3L??

Yes good for any high HP build...
Old Jan 13, 2013, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Ordering mine this week. Cant wait to try it out. Thanks for designing this Kevin
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:41 PM

Such an easy install. My buddies wife literally installed his kiggly Hla on his car along with 272 cams to surprise him when we got back from our Afghanistan deployment. We didn't believe her and she ended up showing us video of it. So if your average housewife can do it all alone with simple instructions then anyone can. Hahaha
Old Apr 29, 2013, 09:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 304 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by AnabolicEVO
Such an easy install. My buddies wife literally installed his kiggly Hla on his car along with 272 cams to surprise him when we got back from our Afghanistan deployment. We didn't believe her and she ended up showing us video of it. So if your average housewife can do it all alone with simple instructions then anyone can. Hahaha
No average housewife could install a set of cams - no doubt about that!
That's probably why he "wifed" her
Old May 1, 2013, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by RSMike
No average housewife could install a set of cams - no doubt about that!
That's probably why he "wifed" her
No doubt!!!!!!
Old Jun 3, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Got one and installed it last month when I was installing cams and changing timing belt.

I believe all the good aspects of this part, although I haven't measured the result in terms of oil pressure or less oil in the catch tank yet.

The only concern is that I suspect it "may" cause valve train noise "only when" engine oil is still not warmed up.

I installed ITM revised HLAs together which has larger side hole, not sure whether this helps or makes this noise worse combined with the regulator.

After it is fully warmed up there is no noise at all.

Since this regulates oil pressure to 15psi, when oil is cold, I suspect that larger oil pressure is needed to fully feed all the HLAs.

Does anyone have similar issue?

I am using Aral 0W40 engine oil, and this oil is pretty thin considering it is 40 weight, and 0W also indicates this oil is relatively low viscosity when cold.

I guess if this regulator has some "bypass" function when engine is cold, that would be perfect. (Well, may increase the overall cost)

So should I be worried about the valve train noise when engine is cold?

Should I adjust the regulated pressure to trade off this low temp valve train noise vs. all the good aspects of this part? (I think I saw an adjustment screw)
Old Jun 4, 2013, 06:35 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Cam upgrades typically bring about increased noise, so not to be worried. This will be most apparent when the engine is cold. Do not attempt to adjust Kiggly's regulator.

I recommend GSC's lifters with stronger internal springs as the best available lifter option.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
Cam upgrades typically bring about increased noise, so not to be worried. This will be most apparent when the engine is cold. Do not attempt to adjust Kiggly's regulator.

I recommend GSC's lifters with stronger internal springs as the best available lifter option.
Thanks for your advice, Ted. I am less worried after hearing your, Evom's cam guru's comment.

I will keep an eye on this and if it is getting worse, I will try GSC's HLA option as suggested. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Kiggly HLA Pressure regulator, worth doing?