Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

how to wire a double pumper to run all the time?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2010, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
how to wire a double pumper to run all the time?

I've been searching for how to wire a double pumper to run all the time and did not get anywere....
can anyone help me with this? i understand that i have to use at least 1 30amp relay to run the 2nd pump from the stock trigger but i have no idea as to what wires go were or from were.
Old May 16, 2010, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can purchase some that run full time. I am pretty sure that the full blown runs full time.

http://www.fullblownmotorsports.net/...41aa739084dae8
Old May 16, 2010, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The Full Blown unit has seperate wires for each pump, your choice on wether or not to wire it up staged, or with both pumps on full time.

I am still running OEM fuel rail, regulator, and lines so decided to run my Full Blown in a staged configuration using a Hobbs switch to switch on the 2nd pump. In my case this prevents fuel regulator overrun at idle.

Wiring both pumps up so they come on full time will be just like rewiring a single fuel pump, just connect the positive wire for both pumps to a relay that can handle the amperage of both pumps.

I personally wouldn't use anything less than a 60 amp relay. I use the Bosch/Tyco 75amp relay, part# V23232-D0001-X001

This guy on eBay seems to have the best deal: eBay

John-
Old May 16, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyTSi
.... decided to run my Full Blown in a staged configuration using a Hobbs switch to switch on the 2nd pump. In my case this prevents fuel regulator overrun at idle...John-
In your particular setup, John, at what PSI is the 2nd pump triggered to kick in?
Old May 16, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
In your particular setup, John, at what PSI is the 2nd pump triggered to kick in?
15psi
Old May 17, 2010, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

I did the following to run both pumps all the time with the fullblown hanger

Run power wire from battery to distribution block

#30 on relay goes to dis. block

run pump power wires to #87 on relay

run stock trigger wire(white) to #86 on relay

Ground #85 on relay to chasis. Make sure to use sand paper or dremel to remove paint for a clean contact.

Ground both pump grounds to chasis, also being sure to remove paint for clean contact.

Also be sure to drill out the siphon tube using a 9/64 drill bit. If you dont you will have crazy fuel pressure at idle.

Also on the distribution block i ran a 4 gauge to one side and only used one terminal on the other side also with a fuse inbetween.

PM me if you have any questions or need more explanation on anything. I just worked all night so i might of forgot to mention something in my zombie like state of mind.
Old May 17, 2010, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

^^^Thanks that's what I needed

Is 1 30 amp relay going to be able to run both pumps?
I would think that I need a 60 amp relay like Johnny said
Old May 17, 2010, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

My car hasn't been started yet(almost done). So i cant say for sure if the 30 will be enough. I did the same thing though on a IS300 with double pump and no issues at all.
Old May 17, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2010, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

trust me guys DO NOT cheap out on the relay!

The contacts will burn and start to create resistance, which results in lower voltage to the pump(s), eventually, the relay will stop working and strand you.

I learned this lesson on my DSM, fortunately it only stranded me and didn't cost en engine.

John-
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the walbro pump is 20A wouldn't be ok to run both pump in one line of 10ga with only one relay of 40A with a 30a fuse???? accorder with my electrician guys that should be ok
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just got the 75 amp relay and am trying like awd2gen said
Old Mar 2, 2011, 12:22 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Well using basic electronic principles if you have two loads each drawing 20amps, then you need something to handle 40amps as both run at the same voltage, but obviously two draw more power than one, so the only variable there is amperage. power = voltage * amperage, so if the voltage stays constant and the power increases, the amperage has to increase.

Of course this assumes the two loads (pumps) are on the same circuit.

If you want to run them full time and don't want to buy 60amp wire and relays then just use stock wiring to run one pump and run a separate circuit to the run the other pump.

I am not sure what the max draw is for the walbro. I think I put a 30amp fuse on my secondary.

Last edited by fre; Mar 2, 2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you had the $money$ a Fuel pump speed controler is a good way to run a double pumper. Instead of a relay you control the duty cycles of both pumps to increase as your Boost or RPM goes up. Alot of these are solid state Transistors, so alot more reliable then a Relay.

Most common is : http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...ed-controller/

Nice thing about this one is its a PWM controller and not a voltage regulator. Under volting a pump is worse then Overvolting. The issue i have is its RPM controlled and not Boost, but i am sure it will still work once set-up.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Quick Reply: how to wire a double pumper to run all the time?