Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

HTA Green Boost Spiking :( Anyone else got this problem?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HTA Green Boost Spiking :( Anyone else got this problem?

At full throttle, I am still getting fluttering at WOT and the boost is spiking about 4-5 psi before it settles. I did a boost leak test the first time, and I had a broken weld on my AMS LICP bracket. I since then have switched to an ETS LICP and ETS Front mount. BOV is an APS Twin vent that holds the boost fine upon the leak test. I buttoned everything up, did a boost leak test and no leaks. I am running an HTA Green with ported O2 housing. Inlet is stock size, not the 3" ported shroud. Boost control is done with the Hallman pro RX. I have already taken the ball and spring out of the boost controller to make sure the wastegate is functioning properly and not bound up. She sits right at 19psi with ball and spring out, so I know the wastegate is working. Any of you running this turbo, have you had this problem, or may know what fixed yours? I'm kind of at my wits end here. I'm open to suggestions.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Does the spike happen in the beginning or does it creep?

Have you tried adjusting the WGA preload, lessening the tension?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah maybe your wastegate is too tight!
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
Does the spike happen in the beginning or does it creep?

Have you tried adjusting the WGA preload, lessening the tension?
Its instantaneous, for instance, boost shoots straight up to 23psi, then drops right down to 18-19psi. If I increase on the boost controller, then it shoots straight up to 25psi, then drops down to 20-21 psi. So no matter what it keeps spiking about +4-5psi beyond what I want it at. Thinking I have to lessen the tension on the wastegate actuator?

Last edited by I4UnderPressure; Jul 4, 2010 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I4UnderPressure
Its instantaneous, for instance, boost shoots straight up to 23psi, then drops right down to 18-19psi. If I increase on the boost controller, then it shoots straight up to 25psi, then drops down to 20-21 psi. So no matter what it keeps spiking about +4-5psi beyond what I want it at. Thinking I have to lessen the tension on the wastegate actuator?
Yes, usually the higher the tension on the wga arm the bigger the spike.

Also I'm going to assume you have the fp 18 psi wga, correct?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
I thought my hta green had spiking problem. My gauge would hit 30psi and fall to 25psi. but after I looked at logs of map sensor i learned something very interesting. I had no spike problem.The boost gauge will give false spike. The needle on gauge just cant slow down fast enough when its accelerated fast enough. so it over shoots.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

boost leak test. Then log it.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just about any turbo has the tendency to spike high at first then level to a certaing boost. In your situation the first thing that caught my attention is that your car is not sustaining 23psi and that is an issue. With a HTA Green you should be able to target comfortably no less than 25psi and it should be able to sustain that.

Here are some of my tips for you to get a steady boost:

80mm port cover (on your turbo) if you already don't have it
FP 25psi(at least the 18PSI) waste gate actuator. I have one
Last but not least recheck your system for leaks

I personally have a HTA Green at home(not installed yet) but I read and drove on HTA green fitted cars. Your boost level is unusual .

Carlos
Old Jul 5, 2010, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
Just about any turbo has the tendency to spike high at first then level to a certaing boost. In your situation the first thing that caught my attention is that your car is not sustaining 23psi and that is an issue. With a HTA Green you should be able to target comfortably no less than 25psi and it should be able to sustain that.

Here are some of my tips for you to get a steady boost:

80mm port cover (on your turbo) if you already don't have it
FP 25psi(at least the 18PSI) waste gate actuator. I have one
Last but not least recheck your system for leaks

I personally have a HTA Green at home(not installed yet) but I read and drove on HTA green fitted cars. Your boost level is unusual .

Carlos
I'm not getting an 80mm port cover. So that's not an option.

I can get the car to sustain 23psi if I wanted, its just I have to deal with it spiking to 27psi in the process. The boost does increase as I turn the MBC up, but so does the spike.

The wastegate actuator is I believe a stock IX actuator, nontheless Aniel selected that for my particular application/goals, so he was aware. As I said before as well, I removed the ball and spring in the boost controller and the boost would it 19-20psi comfortably and stay there with no spike at all.

I also didn't expect WOT flutter either, maybe I have other issues?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not getting an 80mm port cover. So that's not an option.

I can get the car to sustain 23psi if I wanted, its just I have to deal with it spiking to 27psi in the process. The boost does increase as I turn the MBC up, but so does the spike.

The wastegate actuator is I believe a stock IX actuator, nontheless Aniel selected that for my particular application/goals, so he was aware. As I said before as well, I removed the ball and spring in the boost controller and the boost would it 19-20psi comfortably and stay there with no spike at all.

I also didn't expect WOT flutter either, maybe I have other issues?
The boost controller has a bleed hole. So when you removed the spring and ball your bleeding air and not really a closed connection.

Remove the vacuum lines from the boost controller completely and route straight from the pressure source to the wga and check to see if you spike then. If its stock wga, you shouldnt boost anymore than ~12 psi give or take 1.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
I thought my hta green had spiking problem. My gauge would hit 30psi and fall to 25psi. but after I looked at logs of map sensor i learned something very interesting. I had no spike problem.The boost gauge will give false spike. The needle on gauge just cant slow down fast enough when its accelerated fast enough. so it over shoots.
I could see how this would happen, but I don't think thats the case here. I of course ran the stock ix turbo with the same setup, which of course spools as fast if not faster than the new HTA Green I have, so I don't believe the gauge couldn't keep up. The only thing really different in the equation is the turbo, injectors, and boost controller. I used to have the ams mbc, but I couldn't control boost with it at all as opposed to the stock ix turbo. The boost kept shooting up quick past 25psi no matter how I had it set. Thats when I went to the hallman, and at least was able to regain the control.(well, some of it)

I think I really need to try to adjust the actuator. I know when I had this problem on my buick, I had to do the same. We shall see.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BluEVOIX
The boost controller has a bleed hole. So when you removed the spring and ball your bleeding air and not really a closed connection.

Remove the vacuum lines from the boost controller completely and route straight from the pressure source to the wga and check to see if you spike then. If its stock wga, you shouldnt boost anymore than ~12 psi give or take 1.
Either way, when I take the spring completely out, its still functioning to a point, and spike goes away.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Do you have a Cat, or a testpipe? Do you still have the stock IX DV sitting around the garage? Is your HTA Green ported, or unported? Why donīt you want to go to the ported FP compressor cover?

Try eliminating the MBC and routing a hose directly from the compressor housing discharge tube nipple to the nipple on the WGA and then crank in the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod up to your preselected peak boost level.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me start by saying that I had the exact same setup as you. HTA Green 64mm, APS Twin vent, and 18psi WGA. I was getting TERRIBLE surging during spool up and boost spiking up high. It was a combination of the compressor cover and the BOV. My BOV would flutter and couldn't hold up to the 35 psi I was running with the HTA. Your only option is to either turn the boost down significantly to cut down on the compressor cover surge or at least change up the compressor cover. Once I switched to the 84mm Flow advancement port and the Tial QR Recirculating BOV I have had 0 issues. It is a night and day difference. The HTA is prone to these problems since it is using a standard 64mm stock flowing inlet and flowing significantly more air than the stock turbo. This causes spool up to be very rough and surging issues. I am telling you, I tried every solution, 25psi WGA, ECU boost, everything, nothing solved the problem until I purchased the 84mm port and a new BOV. Now it is flawless. Perfect DD combination and the spool up insane and smooth as butter.

I saw you said you don't want to upgrade, but I exhausted all options before I did and nothing worked... Sorry but your going to have to sink some money into her...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

Either way, when I take the spring completely out, its still functioning to a point, and spike goes away.
That is not the same thing!!

Look at the barb pointing to the left. There is a small hole that bleeds air out. So even if you take out the spring and ball, there is air being bled out from and changes the wga and boost characteristics.

Just take both vacuum lines off the mbc and loop them together to get the real diagnosis of the stock wga. You should boost 11-12 psi, if no then your wga arm is on the tight side.

Either way it only takes 3 minutes or less to adjust the wga arm (assuming the car is cool). Just adjust the arm 1 turn at a time until you get your desired results.

Quick Reply: HTA Green Boost Spiking :( Anyone else got this problem?