Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)

READ THE WHOLE POST BEFORE COMMENTING / ASKING QUESTIONS

This thread as been up for a year... I am pleased to report that in that year, we (the EvoM community) have stirred up enough incentive to have John Shepherd crank out built gears and an upgraded final drive for our Evo IX MR 6 speed transmissions.

In that time, I was fortunate to be one of the first to own this built transmission and I am very pleased with the results.

His final drive goes from the factory 4.58 to a 4.09, and he's building 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear in the 6 speed.
The new gears will get to the following MPH at 7,000rpm's (roughly... see later chart for more accurate gearing):
1st: 44
2nd: 65
3rd: 89
4th: 116
5th: 146
6th: 186

As you can see, the ratios are genious. He has put a lot of thought into the chopping up of the gears without over-stretching them.

Also that 4th gear with the 4.09 final drive will remedy most peoples need of going into 5th. Especially if you have a built head and high revving motor… you can get well passed 130mph out of 4th… (which is 9-10 second material with well equipped tires/motor/etc…)

The factory ratios for the MR 6 speed are:
1st: 2.909
2nd: 1.944
3rd: 1.434 (1.428 on Shep's modified gear ratio)
4th: 1.1 (1.083 on Shep's modified gear ratio)
5th: 0.868 (0.862 on Shep's modified gear ratio)
6th: 0.693
Final Drive: 4.583 (4.09 on Shep's FD option)

Shep's recommended fluids:
450-550whp levels: Redline MT-90
550-650whp levels: Redline Lightweight Gear Oil

Note that the gears will ONLY WITHSTAND 650whp. This is what he rated them at (dynojet numbers. NOT mustang)

He has had two fully built 6 speeds in two test cars for a while, with power ranges from 550-650hp which would handle 450-550tq. One of the drivers ran off with the car and sold it. The other is still ticking.

Shep has told me that he will most likely (if not, definitely by request) weld bungs onto the transmission for an in and out for lines for an oil cooler (for those of you who plan to put an oil cooler on this transmission) he will also recommend a pump and what not.

IMPORTANT:
He says there is nothing that can be done about the 5/6 slider issue which gets damaged when missing a hard shift into third and slamming the 3rd/5th H pattern which disables your ability to going into 6th (happened to me with the built trans... having brass shifter bushings didn't help much either since it gave no "cushion" to my hard missed shift)

He says that the 6th gear has never failed, and doesn't seem to need strengthening. He says until he sees a 6th fail, he has no plans on re-enforcing the 6th. This makes a lot of sense since no matter how hard you slam into 6th from 5th, you are traveling at such a high rate of speed (momentum), TQ is not an issue, and TQ breaks things. This man knows what he's talking about. And if you're rolling in 6th gear and floor it, it doesn't have the same TQ effect as slamming it in 6th.

Please note that nothing is indestructible. In the wrong hands… 350whp can ruin a built transmission. I’m sure we’ve all seen some horrible shifting/shifters in our time. Please for the love of the car gods, take care of this thing if you decide to go with the upgrade. If you want something to beat around endlessly… dogbox it!

He says he understands the issue with oil heat, and he says that the 5 speed isn't that much different in fluid amount and has never had a problem over heating, so the 6 speed shouldn't have an issue once the gears are addressed.

The one thing I can accumulate here is that if road raced, an oil cooler would probably be a "good idea".

--------

Pricing on the gear set (which is a set of 6 gears, 3rd 4th and 5th drive gears, and 3rd 4th and 5th driven gears. 1st 2nd and 6th remain factory and do not need modifying. You can’t pick and chose which because of the way they are manufactured with their drive gears, etc…) will be around $1700-$1900. (which is ~$300 per gear)
Pricing on Final drive will be around $800-$900.
I’d speak to Shep about any other services you may consider during the build. (synchros/sliders/rails/oil cooler)

Shepherd will be performing the upgrades.
This means you will have to send him your transmission.
So in plain english: Take your transmission off, ship it in a box to him, he will perform the upgrade (gears and fd if applicable) then he'll send it back to you. (of course if you have any other damaged parts involved, there will be communication involved in order to sort all of that out)
Only extreme circumstances (for example... overseas) will be considered for shipping gears/final drive to be installed by a local mechanic.
Since this is a first time release, and brand new product... I don't blame him one bit.
Sure down-time will be a little higher this way, but the wait makes it that much sweeter once you get that puppy back and installed.

Remember this:
Shepherd doesn't know how to fail.

Also remember:
If you're gonna bash, and say the 5spd is god, and all this and that... PLEASE REMEMBER, this thread is not for that purpose.
I don't want this cluttered with 6 speed bashing. This was a long and hard (no pun intended) effort to get the built 6 speed project I had in mind since 2007 up and going. Shep was the man to do it, and we have succeeded.

Otherwise, PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN.
THIS POST IS NOT FOR DEBATE, IT IS FOR MR 6 SPEED INFORMATION.

---------
Lastly, I'd like to mention (as someone mentioned below) if you are waiting for your transmission to "go" before your upgrade, and are pushing over 400whp to your factory MR trans, you will be sorry. You will end up needing a whole new transmission, and there will be a HIGH chance it will take out other driveline products connected to your transmission. (For example, Transfercase and Rear Differential) If you care about your car, you'd start setting aside for this now, and when it's released... you should grab it and save yourself the future headache. I made the mistake of thinking the MR could handle ~500whp.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ooks-like.html
This link above will show why you shouldn't "wait for your 6 speed to go" before considering the shep 6 speed. This link actually shows exactly why shep will not just ship you his gears. He wants your transmission in his possession for proper inspection before doing a full blown upgrade. Please... if you plan to wait... drive safely and cross your fingers.

Misc Update:
Oil cooler line bungs are commonly welded on the fill and drain plug areas of the transmission.
John Shepherd said that this pump is a good pump for our application. The pump is even adjustable and will do 30 GPH pumping Oil or ATF.

For those that think you can get a 5 speed BUILT with gears for less than a grand, you are mistaken. Factory 5 speed gears retail for (on average) $140 each which were produced in the unknown THOUSANDS not 20 sets at a time out of better material.

I will say this, again, in so many words:
If money is an issue, the trans probably isn't up your ally. Depends on the owner really. I for one, bought the MR for a reason, the extra 5k didn't bother me then, another 2-4k wont bother me now. I want the thing to handle 600hp, and I am not going 5spd. If you want a 5spd, that's perfectly fine. It's your preference. I'm trying to get as much info out there to everyone and trying to make everyone happy I hope everyone understands the work, risks and time spent when it comes to building this 6 speed. No one else has done this. The manual MR 6 speed has been out quite a while. I think Shep has done a fantastic job. Best of luck to everyone either way.

Misc Update
It is a good idea to replace 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th synchros, the 3-4 hub/sleeve, and the 5-6 hub/sleeve. Parts and labor on all of this will cost ~1000 as well. (I am not including ripping off your transmission and putting it back on, as I do this myself)

So for a full blown upgrade (since some people may be missing all of the hidden costs that go along with modifying... and here we are dealing with a transmission) it will cost:
~1900 for gears
~900 for final drive
~1000 for labor on internals
_______ - misc shipping costs
_______ - enter your trans remove/install here if you aren't doing it yourself.
_______ - enter here what you paid for fluid

So yes, this thing from beginning to end could easily run over 4k.

Gear Chart

Pictures below:

Gear Set

3rd gear side 1

3rd gear side 2

4th gear side 1

4th gear side 2

4th gear profile view

5th gear side 1

5th gear side 2

Gear set (driven, and drive gears) on the shafts. And the 4.09 Final Drive gear

Last edited by MagicManRed; Oct 12, 2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Extra Information
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

(This was the original list that built the incentive for Shep to start the build of the gears... all new comers to this post can disregard this list. Contact Shep directly for this upgrade)

**reserved for serious inquirers**

1. Mirsad (MagicManRed), from New York. (Ready with cash in hand)
2. Jeremy (boostedwrx), from Seattle. (Wants it)
3. (MMMR0820), from New Jersey (ready for purchase)
4. (rgonyer), from Iowa (When his trans fails)
5. (turbotalawd), (Interested when $ available)
6. (Toxin), from Slovenia, (Serious inquirer, money ready for shipping and all)
7. (High_PSI), (Serious inquirer, possibly waiting on funds)
8. (MJ23FE), from New Jersey (Saving up $, serious inquirer)
9. Chris Mathews (GG06MR), from San Antonio TX. (Ready when his factory 6spd fails)
10. (metalsaber), (Interested depending on price)
11. (Venividivichi00), from NY. (Serious inquirer for when available)
12. (dbsears), from Washington. (Serious inquirer with current 5th gear problems)
13. Andrew (F0RSAKEN), from Washington. (Interested after his factory 6spd fails)
14. Andrew (evo<3), from Illinois. (Serious inquirer for when his factory 6spd fails)
15. (~EVILEVO~) from Arizona. (Very interested, curious about price)
16. David (LG_4G) from California. (Has been waiting over 2 years. Serious inquirer)
17. (Standing_Z) from Milwaukee. (Serious inquirer. Would like price)
18. (Trojan_man) from New York. (Serious inquirer. Has been waiting a long time)
19. Kiley T. (Kiley_sean) from Germany. (Very serious inquirer. Uses Evo on Nordscheife)
20. Vincent (mrboost05) From Maryland. (Ready for purchase)
21. Jason Gray (JmanMR) from Wyoming. (Serious inquirer)
22. (Teal2nnr) fom Canada. (Interested)
23. (miked420) from California. (Ready for purchase)
24. (jy951) from Illinois. (Interested when factory 6spd fails)
25. (mc14) from Chicago. (Serious inquirer)
26. John (NYCFJV7) from New York. (Serious inquirer for when factory 6spd fails)
27. Paul (sevy2213) from New York. (Serious inquirer for when factory 6spd fails)
28. Michael (justincase) from Australia. (Serious inquirer)
29. (miragevo) from New York. (Serious inquirer for after factory 6spd fails or needs upgrading after upping engine power)
30. (boostfiend) from Maryland/Currently Iraq. (Serious inquirer. Hoping to know price/availability date due to being sent to Iraq)
31. J. Church (churchja) from California. (Ready for purchase after December)
32. Ryan (black95tt) from Ohio. (Serious inquirer for when his factory 6spd fails)
33. Andrew (andrewzaragoza) from Texas. (Serious inquirer for 2011)
34. NathanP (boomn29) from Illinois. (Serious inquirer, has a 5spd)
35. Howard D. (NJ9MR) from New Jersey. (Serious inquirer, interested in price as well)
36. (17579EVO9MR) from Indiana. (Interested depending on what power it withstands and if something will be done about 6th)
37. (laramie_05MR) from Texas. (Interested for when factory 6spd fails. Also interested just in internals for self swap)
38. Ali (q8_evo) from Arizona. (Serious inquirer)
39. (kikiturbo) from Croatia. (Interested in gearset)
40. Dan R. (Danner) from Ohio. (Interested when factory transmission fails and if price is reasonable)
41. (MeFryRice) from Atlanta. (Interested)
42. (jaatlee) from Maryland. (Serious inquirer in need of 3 Sheptrans 6spds and advice on oil cooler setups for them)
43. (Evo9"Miss Rose") from Canada. (Very interested)
44. (SpeedingEvo) from Utah. (Serious inquirer for after re-cooperating from home purchase)
45. (Laxman) from Texas. (Serious inquirer for 2011 for without the FD option. Serious inquirer for transfer case as well)
46. (GarageRM) from Indonesia. (Serious inquirer with possible oil cooler solution. Will be doing time attack)
47. (keath) from Oklahoma. (Interested for when factory 6spd fails)
48. (thedru13) from Pennsylvania. (Serious inquirer. Already had factory 6spd rebuilt once)
49. (Carloverx) from New Jersey. (Serious inquirer with an FP Black)
50. (TougeGod7) from California. (Serious inquirer for when a rebuild is necessary)
51. (neloner) from New York. (Serious inquirer)
52. (waynea) from California. (Serious inquirer with spare 6spd to rebuild)
53. (rgar) from North Carolina. (Serious inquirer for swapping 5 speed to 6 speed in late 2011)
54. (hashaam81) from Pakistan. (Serious inquirer)
55. (DJ Brett B) from Utah. (Serious inquirer)
56. (JACS_06_MR) from California. (Serious inquirer for when they are ready)
57. (blackendwings) from Maryland. (Serious inquirer)
58. (xzero) from New Jersey. (Very interested inquirer)
59. (Dragking2189) from Florida. (Serious inquirer)
60. (bboypuertoroc) from Korea. (Awaiting availability to determine interest)
61. Damian (Blitz) from Illinois. (Serious inquirer for gears + final drive for spring/summer 2011)
62. (jo evo) from Puerto Rico. (Ready for purchase for gears + final drive with cash in hand)
63. (LI Pinky) from New York. (Serious inquirer for over the winter)
64. John (SHIFTT IX MR) from Florida. (Serious inquirer)
65. Joe Miranda (bobearchicali) from California. (Full package with FD. Cash in hand)
66. (Thrilla) from Washington. (Serious inquirer for when factory 6 spd fails)
67. (hank) from Pennsylvania. (Serious inquirer)
68. (Drifting Away) from South Dakota. (Ready to purchase and ship out his trans)

Last edited by MagicManRed; Aug 29, 2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: update
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll be looking for it when my 6-speed goes - I'm not replacing it with a 5-speed. Add me to this list of people "who want this transmission". -Jeremy
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Edit: Good luck to those of you sticking with the 6. It will be a superior transmission for Road-Race / Auto-X and I really hope it all works out and he makes enough gear sets for everyone. I have my 6 core just in case I have the urge to prep the car for road track use.

Last edited by buchnerj; Aug 2, 2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Makes me want to upgrade to a 6-speed. That trans sounds pretty nice!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

I want it!!! As stated on the other thread.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

I would be in for when my trans or clutch fails.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

If it'll be available any soon I've got money waiting. Instead of buying a whole 5spd trans I'd buy the 6spd internals as I already have a destroyed 6spd at home waiting for shep.

Shipping to Slovenia. And yes I mean it, money waiting.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would love this...
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Perfect for stroker motors..Any idea when this may be coming out!?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

a... wait. We're supposed to decide if we're ready to buy one, but we don't know the price?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my 6-speed takes a dump I'll definitely be doing this!!! I'll be saving my pennies until then!

I wonder why an upgraded 6th gear wasn't also included in this?

-Jalal
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by carloverx
a... Wait. We're supposed to decide if we're ready to buy one, but we don't know the price?

+1
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

The problem is Shep wont give us any idea on price. Anything over $2k for this I think he will have an extremely small market IMOP. See if he will confirm if will be more than $2k or less than $2k

Maybe start a poll.

Last edited by JMB8606; Aug 2, 2010 at 12:32 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

MagicManRed, is that a confirmed 650 whp or crank hp from Shep? Also were you able to get a approximate price?

Quick Reply: Shepherd Transmission for Evo 03-06 MR 6 Speed (Sheptrans 6spd)