Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best CoP kit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckP
^ How does it look weird? Its a stealth kit. If you read on, you would have come across a portion of text explaining that a cf or aluminum plate can be ordered as well.
The coils would still be mounted all cocked like that--- just on a plate. The wiring looks like a mess, imo.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They arent mounted like that on the plate, it looks just like the spoolinup setup, all oriented the same.
The stealth setup is the route i will take once the BBK-B comes out. shady CA..

Name:  DSC_0301.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  96.6 KB

Last edited by ChuckP; Aug 9, 2010 at 09:18 PM.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
i just received a kit from spoolinup that i ordered for my friend. All i have to say is amazing. For the price you cannot get something close to this quality. Emailed matt a couple times and he responded soo quick. excellent customer service. I will keep telling everyone about this kit. Hopefully matt you will bring those color options when i return from deployment.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckP
^ How does it look weird? Its a stealth kit. If you read on, you would have come across a portion of text explaining that a cf or aluminum plate can be ordered as well.
The sparkplug cover can fit over the Spoolinup kit too though. Also a stealth kit.

I just put my spoolinup on yesterday, looks great and fits great. Very happy with it.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I understand that, by why would i spend more for a cf plate if its going to be covered? lol
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

A used spoolinup is only 10 bucks more! and the carbon fiber mounting plate is new, its only used coils lol. They both use denso coils so thats even, but the spoolinup just comes more professional looking. For 10 bucks more the spoolinup looks like it costs 500 more than the sgp
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sparktech ftw!!! All the records prove it...
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
spoolin up's kit is awesome... id be running one if it was available when i was in need.. (he was out and new coils that fit under cover were impossible to find)

i run a sparktech non cdi... works great.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run a Buschur COP and like it a lot. I don't have first hand experience with the competitors though so I can't really give you a true, unbiased recommendation.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
COP = Coil on plug ignition.

Mitsubishi's stock system uses 2 coil packs for each (4) spark plug.

A cop ignition uses 1 coil per plug, so in simple terms...each spark plug gets its own individual power unit.

Thanks for that info. What are the advantages to have a CoP ignition that uses 1 coil per plug though? I mean is this a power adder? Makes the car easier to tune? What are benefits to this over the stock setup? Just to look cool?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Thanks for that info. What are the advantages to have a CoP ignition that uses 1 coil per plug though? I mean is this a power adder? Makes the car easier to tune? What are benefits to this over the stock setup? Just to look cool?
Stronger spark current, etc. There is a serious benefit with these when running heightened boost levels or with alternative fuels. A big problem with high boost motors is that the gap will be big on the plug or even when you decrease it you can blow the spark out when running a good amount of timing and boost on a motor. So the CDI or COP ignition setups help give the spark a greater discharge thus lighting the mixture on time, every time. The 1 coil per plug is meant to provide each cylinder as opposed to a coil pack sharing two cylinders. I am not sure as to the gains to each having their own cylinder and a COP as opposed to a CDI like mine, but I am sure they are minimal. Would be interested to hear what SparkTech or SpoolinUp have to say on that subject.

FWIW I run a Dynatek CDI ignition (very similar to Buschurs) with huge montero coils and it works flawlessly. It cleaned up my idle so well, and even helped with some intermittent partial throttle knock I was experiencing. One of the better mods I have done in a while.

Last edited by buchnerj; Aug 10, 2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: added link
Old Aug 10, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

I just got the spoolin up kit last week and it made a nice difference on how my car runs....much smoother.....not breaking up going into boost.....went from about 11 mpg to 15 mpg on e85....
Old Aug 10, 2010, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
Also to add you dont want to have a misfire on high boost either. could destroy alot of stuff on your motor. The CoP elminates that possiblity why take a chance after you spend 3500 for a shortblock and 2000 for a head. 320 CoP could save that
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

Couple of brands I know of are spoolinup, buschur, okadaprojects, sparktech, ams
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Ive had my used Spoolin up COP for a few months now and its awesome. It gives me the ability to open up my spark plug gap.

Quick Reply: Best CoP kit