Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lubrication thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
So, 20W 50 is best for
1) ALL modded Evos?
2) Is this regardless of stock OR aftermarket block?
3) Stock or stock frame turbo? Larger turbos?
4) Pump gas/pump + methanol/ E85?
For those of us who won't be driving in sub-zero temperatures and who either rarely or frequently beat on our cars, is this the end-all best weight regardless of the mods/fuel types I mentioned? Just want to be clear on what the point is that has been stated... Thanks
Interestingly, M1s Q&A specifically says to stick to the OEM suggested viscosity due to viscosity requirements of the engine and valvetrain. That said, with so many of us running much higher boost, I wonder if that still holds true. I have been considering switching to a 15W-50 (because it has a higher ZDDP content).
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by DJ Brett B
So, 20W 50 is best for
1) ALL modded Evos?
2) Is this regardless of stock OR aftermarket block?
3) Stock or stock frame turbo? Larger turbos?
4) Pump gas/pump + methanol/ E85?

For those of us who won't be driving in sub-zero temperatures and who either rarely or frequently beat on our cars, is this the end-all best weight regardless of the mods/fuel types I mentioned? Just want to be clear on what the point is that has been stated... Thanks
Correct. I believe anything other than 20-50 is asking for problems. If you have a journal bearing turbo even more so as it can lead to premature failure from what I have seen.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Correct. I believe anything other than 20-50 is asking for problems. If you have a journal bearing turbo even more so as it can lead to premature failure from what I have seen.
interesting, thank you
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:41 PM
Former Sponsor

we have also seen a spat of spun bearings at the shop. i'll investigate to see what oils everyone was using when they failed. one of them (which we actually reffered back to the dealer cause it was low miles, just purchased used, and still under warranty... if you can beleive that), looked like it had never been changed can't imagine why it failed. the rest were all unusual, so i'll check with owners to see if i can add any useful info. as a reference we also use the 15-50 amsoil, 20-50 mobil 1 or other higher viscosity oils on built engines. for stock motors we have stuck with amsoil 10-30 and 10-40.

oh, and for anyone running E85, change your oil often because it gets watered down quickly.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have been using 10w-30 Pensoil Q-Horse Power for a 30000mi with no problems. I change it every 3K and run meth daily. I will have to try the 20w-50.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4doorstreetbike
M1 0w-40 is not a good idea to use on a modded or high horsepower evo due to the grade being very thin it will add no protection to the bearings etc.etc.etc.Rp is a good oil but it tends to break down very quickly at around 1,000 miles is were I felt my car to feel sluggish and making my valves slightly tick a bit..That's not a good idea to change your filter every 4,000 miles just order a oem filter for 6 bucks with peace and mind that everything is clean and getting filtered with your new oil..

abra katabra I wave the wand and the amsoil guy will reappear >>>>
cij911 is correct, 0W-40 means the oil is 40 weight (viscosity), with a low operating temperature (great for cold starts).

I'm currently using M1 0W-40, but may be switching to 15W-50 after this discussion.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
we have also seen a spat of spun bearings at the shop. i'll investigate to see what oils everyone was using when they failed. one of them (which we actually reffered back to the dealer cause it was low miles, just purchased used, and still under warranty... if you can beleive that), looked like it had never been changed can't imagine why it failed. the rest were all unusual, so i'll check with owners to see if i can add any useful info. as a reference we also use the 15-50 amsoil, 20-50 mobil 1 or other higher viscosity oils on built engines. for stock motors we have stuck with amsoil 10-30 and 10-40.

oh, and for anyone running E85, change your oil often because it gets watered down quickly.
How often should someone change their oil running on E85.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I think you have to specify which oils are the problem oils, you can't say, "All thin oils are junk" on the flip side one shouldn't say,"All 20-50 are great"(Yes, I realize we are refering back to BP 20-50). Some oil shears badly, so if "X" oil works well for a period of time, it doesn't mean "Y" oil will work the same. One also usually doesn't know what the engine has gone through before it's "tested". Case in point is KevinD's experience above. Low miles and done?? We have people that are beating on the 4G63 harder than ever before, because great tuners are able to push them past the where they were just a few years ago. It would be nice if we could track the abuse on all the failed engines. Anyway, I think the only thing I found a little surprising in the OP was the psi spike in the lighter oil, and was then cured by a heavier oil. Maybe I read it wrong, or maybe I misunderstood something. I'm still a fan of the thin oils, but they must maintain film strength for the duration of the OCI. Anyone who has looked at the oil threads from the past know that I run a 0-20 oil. I have had it in there now for 55,000 miles @ above 400 hp, the motor has 65,000 miles. I'm not saying everyone should do what I do, but it's what I think is proof that lighter weight oils have a place.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SWOLN
I think you have to specify which oils are the problem oils, you can't say, "All thin oils are junk" on the flip side one shouldn't say,"All 20-50 are great"(Yes, I realize we are refering back to BP 20-50). Some oil shears badly, so if "X" oil works well for a period of time, it doesn't mean "Y" oil will work the same. One also usually doesn't know what the engine has gone through before it's "tested". Case in point is KevinD's experience above. Low miles and done?? We have people that are beating on the 4G63 harder than ever before, because great tuners are able to push them past the where they were just a few years ago. It would be nice if we could track the abuse on all the failed engines. Anyway, I think the only thing I found a little surprising in the OP was the psi spike in the lighter oil, and was then cured by a heavier oil. Maybe I read it wrong, or maybe I misunderstood something. I'm still a fan of the thin oils, but they must maintain film strength for the duration of the OCI. Anyone who has looked at the oil threads from the past know that I run a 0-20 oil. I have had it in there now for 55,000 miles @ above 400 hp, the motor has 65,000 miles. I'm not saying everyone should do what I do, but it's what I think is proof that lighter weight oils have a place.
Could not agree more. I run M1 0w30 with no problems in the tropics (19C-36C), have a heavy foot and drive over 400-600 KM per week. Someone mentioned the RP breaks down fast and I have to agree with him too. After 2000 Miles with RP 10w30 the Dip stick went from High mark to the Low mark.
I initially used a M1 20w50 when I bought the car. Switched to 10W30 after reading the manual and the car felt noticeably more responsive. Thinking it was just my imagination or the car just really needed an oil change, I switched back to M1 20w50 for the next 5000Km change and the car just felt lazier. At that point I tried the 10w30 from RP , decided it was rubbish and have been running M1 0w30 ever since.

btw I'm pretty much stock with a tune and have done over 110,000 Km

Last edited by ecktt; Sep 13, 2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Aaron-

I respect you and you company as you have proved some things in your journey, and i agree to some extent with your though process, however-

- one must not atribute all failures to oil, you very well know that the tune is the culprit of a blown stock engine or a built one, not always though, but on the same line i am not saying that the thin oil was not the cause because i and you very well know that if the film strengh was not strong enoug for the internals then metal to metal contact could occur causing mayor failures,,, that is why dyno oils/low quality oils are a no no,
even though many argue with it, they are basically arguing not with you and me but with plenty years of testing on the engineering side and at the track.

you see oils these days have come long long ways, they can hold extensive abuse, and i say this only for the folks that dont have more than avg of 500 whp anything under this 20w50 is just not needed, there are plenty folks proving to use thin oils and engine are as healthy as they can be.

Another issue i have with this is that as you know all i do is sell oil and sell more oil , and i have seen all types of walks of people that have used all kinds of oil weights, for example i take a customer i have here in these forums 04awdturbo, he started using ASMOIL ATM 10W30 when he got his evo 8, and when i started my business he continued to purchase from me 75,000 miles later and still using ATM 10W30, he ran the stock 9.8 turbo on race gas when you could not make more than 350hp on it, then old style FP green on this turbo maybe over 50 track pases and 100 dyno pulls and many beatings on the street, then FP red old style 38 lbs 15 or more track pases, over 80 dyno pulls.
And the engine lived with all the abuse, when the engine was taken apart cylinders were stupid shinny, cams, rockers, crank everything looked so spectacular than anyone who knew him could not believe it because of how hard he punished his car, he ran a tilton so believe me he was crazy anywhere on the road.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you also said , that you and your shop and some other shops have found the same findings, failures caused by thin oil running Mobil 1 10W30 or 5W30,,, well i would have to take your word for it but i tell you that i cant argue because you know what going on in your shopo, and i would not doubt mobil one to show that mobil has droped the ball and they are falling behind the curve testing has shown my claim to be true and this happend in the past year,,, its seems like every company that gets to big becomes a cooky cutter and quality gets put aside, they think that they got a name for themselves and they get comfortable.

i am also wondering Aaron if you are basing most of these findings on high horse power cars anything over 450 to 500 with also high boost ?
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been pushing over 500 hp since Dec 2008 when I installed my 64mm Red for the first time. With the recommendation of the shop I began using Amsoil 20w50. Now anyone that knows me knows I practically live at the track. Within 3 months my Red failed. I can't say that it was the 20w50 that caused the failure but with Andy's advice I began using the Amsoil ATM 10w30 instead since early 2009. I ran Pump & Meth in 2008 & 2009 and in Feb 2010 went to E85 and continued using the Amsoil 10w30. I'm still on the stock block and continue going to the track at least twice a month. I do attribute my engine life to first Jestr Tuning and now Diiirk@AWD Motorsports on E85 but the oil has to be a major player here.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
I have, I specifically named Mobil 1 in 5-30 and 10-30 for the thin oil. I also specified the oil I use, the oil I am switching to, and why. Like you mentioned though its all relative to film strength. Maybe a 0-20 Eneos or something works. I am not interested in experimenting. 20-50 in 4G63s goes all the way back to 1G and 2G DSMs this isnt new info by any means. I have noticed that that recent influx of failure to our shop is related to thin oil however.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
you also said , that you and your shop and some other shops have found the same findings, failures caused by thin oil running Mobil 1 10W30 or 5W30,,, well i would have to take your word for it but i tell you that i cant argue because you know what going on in your shopo, and i would not doubt mobil one to show that mobil has droped the ball and they are falling behind the curve testing has shown my claim to be true and this happend in the past year,,, its seems like every company that gets to big becomes a cooky cutter and quality gets put aside, they think that they got a name for themselves and they get comfortable.

i am also wondering Aaron if you are basing most of these findings on high horse power cars anything over 450 to 500 with also high boost
?
It has been everything from 350whp (average bolt ons) to 560whp. There is definitely more problems at higher power levels with some of the additional factors being figured in (acceleration and pan design). The cars we have been running at the track with 700whp are all fine so far, cant help but think its because they are on 20w-50.

I look at it like this (though some might contend this chicken or egg?), if the first thing to suffer from inadequate oil is the turbocharger it follows that some damage is being done to the rest of the engine at a lesser rate. We had 3 motors in a row with spun mains. I havent ever seen spun/stacked mains before, thats not normal at all for engine failures.

While some might be able to show that some thinner oils are okay, and I wont argue that maybe some are, I do think we all agree that the right filler/additive/whatever package in the oil is critical. The fact that some oils lose viscosity faster (like Mobil One 10-30) as they heat isnt helping. I am sure that some 20w-50 do the same thing, I also wont contest that. It does stand to reason though that an oil that is losing viscosity from a higher thickness will protect longer though.

aaron
Old Sep 13, 2010, 07:17 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinD

really a couple guys from evoempire that are running e85 sent their oil into blackstone labs and they said they could go a couple thousand miles more(IIRC they all sent it in when the oil had 3k miles on it)

gonna subscribe to this thread to gain some knowledge

Quick Reply: Lubrication thread