Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Lubrication thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
one thing I havent seen discussed all these oil threads is the engine bearing clearances. it seems this knowledge is completely lacking. modern engines are built with extremely tight bearing clearances. very near .001 for mains and .0015 for rods. this includes the factory built 4g63 turbo engine.

now if you are running a built engine those tight bearing clearances go right out the window. your built motor will have bearing clearances in the .002-.0025 range.

BIG difference in oil viscosity requirements between the two. yet in ALL these threads it is never mentioned. 20w-50 is great for built engines. but might not be the best idea for an engine with very small clearances.
So what would you suggest for stock bottom end and say...an HTA green
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I mentioned it in another thread and nobody seemed to care.

one thing I havent seen discussed all these oil threads is the engine bearing clearances. it seems this knowledge is completely lacking. modern engines are built with extremely tight bearing clearances. very near .001 for mains and .0015 for rods. this includes the factory built 4g63 turbo engine.

now if you are running a built engine those tight bearing clearances go right out the window. your built motor will have bearing clearances in the .002-.0025 range.

BIG difference in oil viscosity requirements between the two. yet in ALL these threads it is never mentioned. 20w-50 is great for built engines. but might not be the best idea for an engine with very small clearances.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

I understand what you are saying. I have run 20w-50 since 36k miles in my stock motor and now have 120k miles on it and it runs just as good and has made 350-380 most of those miles. Just a comment, nothing more.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribed
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:51 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wshihdnevo
I understand what you are saying. I have run 20w-50 since 36k miles in my stock motor and now have 120k miles on it and it runs just as good and has made 350-380 most of those miles. Just a comment, nothing more.
FWIW I ran M1 10w30 (and 5w30 for 1 winter) in my 05 evo8 for 80k miles. After I crashed the car we pulled the motor out and it was pretty clean but I never saw the bearings (wish I would have).

So for those of us considering jumping the M1 ship, who here runs BP/Amsoil 20w50 and lives in an *actual* cold climate? I will be cold-starting my car (as I always have every winter) in temps down to -40°F. It seems ludicrous to run such a thick weight oil and expect it to do anything but be rubber in the depths of winter.

I am hearing all this talk about it being used on race cars and that means its the best, but what about real street cars doing lots of miles in all sorts of weather? Can I run 5k oil between oil changes on these oils?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 01:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by scheides
So for those of us considering jumping the M1 ship, who here runs BP/Amsoil 20w50 and lives in an *actual* cold climate? I will be cold-starting my car (as I always have every winter) in temps down to -40°F.
I do not advise running anything but a "0w-X" in that type of weather. 20w-X is a poor choice for such a cold climate. You can change this in the summer, but in the winter, you want a "0w" that will get oil flowing right away. This is where oils like 0w-40 are especially advantageous.

Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

just curious...are looser tolerances (ie; thinner thickness of the bearings) built into aftermarket bearing sets?

if not, how does one really set bearing clearances if they are sold "std sized" bearings? by sending their rods out to get resized?

for folks that do builds with stock bearing sets, are their bearing clearances really going to differ much from stock?

anyways, interesting topic that'll never have a correct answer.
ive ran 20w-50 in my car for the life of my built motor, but decided to step down to 5/10w-40
Old Nov 4, 2010, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by EvolutinIX
So what would you suggest for stock bottom end and say...an HTA green
I follow Ted B advice on oils. He has far more knowledge on the subject than I. I was just pointing out the bearing clearance issue because it should have a say in these talks.

I personally like to change my oil in short intervals. like 2000 miles. I cant stand using 10$ oil because of this. I am currently switching to the Brag penn oil for my engines. it seems to have the best feedback from people around the net who have switched to the oil and rave about it. And I am talking about racers who are experiencing oil related bearing wear. their switch to BP oil has solved their issues. I would use 10-30 in factory engine and the 20-50 for a built engine. at 5$ its a bargain

Last edited by 94AWDcoupe; Nov 4, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by norcalSRTrida
just curious...are looser tolerances (ie; thinner thickness of the bearings) built into aftermarket bearing sets?

if not, how does one really set bearing clearances if they are sold "std sized" bearings? by sending their rods out to get resized?

for folks that do builds with stock bearing sets, are their bearing clearances really going to differ much from stock?

anyways, interesting topic that'll never have a correct answer.
ive ran 20w-50 in my car for the life of my built motor, but decided to step down to 5/10w-40
yes after market bearing clearances are looser than factory sets. the factory also offers three different sizes for a standard bearing journal. these stock size bearings differ in size in .0002 increments. much more precision than an aftermarket bearing set. much more expensive too. like close to 200$ because you are buying the shells individually.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:26 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ted B
I do not advise running anything but a "0w-X" in that type of weather. 20w-X is a poor choice for such a cold climate. You can change this in the summer, but in the winter, you want a "0w" that will get oil flowing right away. This is where oils like 0w-40 are especially advantageous.
That's fine and all but I can't help but notice your location as being Indiana. Looking for real world usage results over here.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 06:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
My location is the deep south (not Indiana), so we don't see anything lower than the teens. When you look at European cars, you'll find much greater usage of "0w" oils, even 0w-60. You're definitely in that category. Without that low cold weather pour point, you'll cause more wear upon startup then you ever will in running the engine. That's what you want to prevent. Also, cold temp performance is one area where synthetics trump conventional oils.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just thought I'd jump in here.

I'll be switching to the 10w-40 Amsoil for the additive package.

I've run Mobil1 10w-30 for the last 30k miles of hard abuse. A lot of track time and lot of 30-40psi pulls. I feel a bit naive for running this oil now...and a bit lucky.

That being said... I change my oil before and after every track event/dyno session. Otherwise I change it after 500-1000 miles.

A point that hasn't been addressed is fouling the oil with fuel. I spoke to a few Chevron Engineers that came to discuss the DELO oil and Coolant options... They commented on the fact that I was fouling the oil with fuel long before I broke the oil down from use/heat/pressure.

I'm trying to find out what exact AMS oil 10w-40 Ted Recommended in the other thread.
*found it* premium protection 10w-40. Thank you Ted. I appreciate your insight and input!

Last edited by R/TErnie; Nov 5, 2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2010, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RT, did you mean to say you change the oil at less than 1000 miles generally?
that is to often, new oil actually attacks metal.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pegasus
I started running Rotella T6 10w-40 after someone recommended it to me. I've noticed less ticking and less consumption. I wanted something that I would be able to buy off the shelf. I too thought that 20w50 might be a bit to thick, especially during winter. I found a lot of good info on here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Shell rotella t6 synthetic comes in only 5w-40 not 10w. http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ucts_home.html
Old Jul 1, 2012, 03:07 PM

Good information here. Bump the old thread!

Quick Reply: Lubrication thread