Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Don't use mobil 1, it will ruin your journal turbo

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric Morse
I'd rather have mobil 1 than anything else in the engine, if it's that bad for a turbo, which i'll have my fp red completely maxxed soon as Mike gets the time to do my build.... So I guess I'll have to do some research on this.....

What amsoil are you using? I would think you'd also want to run something slightly thicker viscosity because the turbos cooking the oil thinning it out when hot.
I run Brad Penn 20W-50 the Green oil. It was recommended by Buschur with my engine build and I confirmed it with FP as being one of the better oils you can use. It is good for engine break ins especially because it is a semi-synthetic. The thing that FP likes it about it is as I stated before, its metal adhesion properties and its additives to prevent metal-metal wear.

Mobil 1 is not a bad oil. This is not what I am saying at all. It is recommended by many manufacturers and race teams for use and it does an excellent job. I used it in my car religiously when it was on the stock motor/turbo etc. It is just being used outside of its intended demographic with some of our cars. I am getting close to pushing the car to over double what it was meant to put down, you will be at that mark too, Eric. You just need more protection from that metal-metal wear to protect that turbine you are going to run. While the FP turbos are stock frame setups, they are much more demanding then a stock frame turbo, want more oil to prevent overheating (hence the oil feed lines) et cetera.

Just do some reading on different oils. I am not just pushing Penn because Buschur said it worked. I am not a blind follower. I did my homework read up on the additives (it helps I am a Chemist), saw reviews and then compared my prices, in my book it just came out on top. AMSOIL makes good stuff, the VR-1 racing oil is good too. Just look around, and if you want any suggestions call Robert at FP or even ask Mike. FP just said that when you are putting down some serious power, you should switch up your oil. It isn't going to destroy the turbo like MR EVOMR said, but it certainly isn't going to be as efficient as a better oil suited for high boost and heat applications.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:09 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Anonymouse
Did you finish highschool English class? If you did you'd remember to include citations.

ACTUALLY I DIDNT, ONLY FINISHED 10.5 GRADES AND MAKING OVER $150+K PER YEAR. GO FIGURE
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ted B
Did a reduction of ZDDP play a role in your turbo's failure?

NO

There are hundreds of thousands of new and older cars on the road today that use 'SM' classification oils with journal bearing turbos (factory fitted or otherwise), including many thousands of EVOs. If you're looking for a reason why your turbo failed, you'd better keep looking.

I completely agree with this statement.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Do you guys know that MOBILE 1 stopped using phosphates, the oil that we once knew is no longer the same, IT DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME QUALITY AS BEFORE.
STOP USING MOBILE 1
No I will NOT sorry
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
very interesting!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Do you guys know that MOBILE 1 stopped using phosphates, the oil that we once knew is no longer the same, IT DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME QUALITY AS BEFORE.
STOP USING MOBILE 1
This just another example of the "change" that trickles down with legislation. Don't complain if you voted for the crook.

I have a related testemony slightly OT from the thread (I apologize), I used to have quite a good relationship with my local mitsu parts department just from being a regular respectful customer over the years. At times I would recieve free oil filters, a bag of crush gaskets, parts at cost, I knew everone that worked there -there was 3 employee's. Well, one of them wasn't as cool as the rest but nonetheless, two years ago I was offered a completly assembled, brand new and built to spec 4G63 - block, bearings, piston's, crank, rods, shafts, etc - the works for $1800! I didn't have the money then but they said they would honor the deal later too. Well, a little over a year ago, right when my budget allowed (paid off evo finally) I took a trip to pick up the regular stuff like oil filter and also to inquire about that block assembly I've thought about for quite some time. When I got there the lot was vacant with a sign stating something to the extent of this dealer is nonexistant, I couldn't help to notice a new ford dealer down the street with dozens of POS mustang gt's parked out front, but I was in shock and felt a great loss.

Rant over, feel better.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:50 AM

Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by COL Knock
This just another example of the "change" that trickles down with legislation. Don't complain if you voted for the crook.

I hope you know that most legislation that is currently being enacted is from a previous presidents leg...

This thread is as bad as the "are your piston cracked thread"... It seems like people are looking for a witch hunt these days.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 06:59 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mt057
I hope you know that most legislation that is currently being enacted is from a previous presidents leg...

This thread is as bad as the "are your piston cracked thread"... It seems like people are looking for a witch hunt these days.
LOL.

Te previous owner and I run Mobil1 exclusive sicne the car was bought in 2003. My car now has 115k and not a problem yet. When I upgraded to a IX turbo at 85k, the stock VIII was still in perfect condition, with no shaft play or smoke. If Mobil changed the chemical make-up for a few years, I have not noticed it!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One day someone will invent a turbo floating on a magnetic field with no surface contact and air being the only friction
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sure Mobil has done enough R&D to make a safe and reliable product. I highly doubt that the oil we buy today is any less effective than it was 6yrs ago. If you want to believe such things thats fine you can, but starting threads like this just lead to lots of speculation and miss information.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

you cant get the same reading in the same batch every time. unless it was mixed in the same gallon. thats just the way viscosity works. these values 75-90 = 14.3-18.2. your not going to get it exact. I test viscosity here at my work for adhesives. those values are around where it should be. who are we kidding its been like that for years no one actually tried testing the solution itself. Not all labeled liquids are gonna be exact to spec values or according to the data sheets. thats why we have to test it first. ill stick with mobil 1 unless you guys want used conventional oil from jiffy lube(those mother ****ers messed up my 95 protege.)

Last edited by downshift411; Sep 15, 2010 at 07:14 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:11 AM

What oil should be used in the winter(avg of 30degrees a few -15degrees)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Mobil 1 knows what they are doing, they will not ruin their reputation by making the oil different. if this is a big issue that they take out some additive then Mitsubishi will have to tell all evo owner to change oil to something else.

also people, I know that not all oil are created the same, but stop going crazy about which oil is better than the other, you are only to see difference if the car is under extensive harsh condition for a long period of time like F1 racing.

Just change it often thats all!!!
Old Sep 15, 2010, 07:28 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amsoil ftmfw!

Quick Reply: Don't use mobil 1, it will ruin your journal turbo