Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New clutch, now it grinds into 5th...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New clutch, now it grinds into 5th...

I recently replaced the stock clutch with a Clutchmasters Stage 3 with the kevlar disc. At the same time, a load of other mods were done, including the MAP flywheel. I refilled the tranny with BG Synchroshift fluid. This is a 5 speed car.

I can shift just fine at any rpm in any gear except 5th. If I try to shift into 5th at any speed over 50mph it grinds a little. It still goes into gear though, just a little grind. Immediately before the clutch/flywheel I had no problems. I thought maybe this was the dreaded clutch lockout, but it doesn't seem to be rpm dependent. If I rev out 4th gear a little, then shift to neutral and coast, it will still grind until I slow back down all the way to 50mph.

Then I thought maybe the clutch wasn't disengaging fully. I tried adjusting the clutch pedal with no improvement.

This makes it very annoying to drive. I couldn't imagine trying to merge onto a freeway like this, just to slow back down to 50 so I could shift to 5th and speed up again. FWIW, this was my first clutch install, although I don't know what I could have messed up to cause this particular problem. Any advice or suggestion is appreciated.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird. I had the exact same problem with my Clutchmasters Stage 4 and I had to deal with it for for a year and a half until the clutch started to slip. Now I got the Exedy twin disc and my problem has disappeared. Mine not only scratched in 5th about the same speed as you but 4th would also scratch at anything above 6,500 rpm.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by petersk2
Weird. I had the exact same problem with my Clutchmasters Stage 4 and I had to deal with it for for a year and a half until the clutch started to slip. Now I got the Exedy twin disc and my problem has disappeared. Mine not only scratched in 5th about the same speed as you but 4th would also scratch at anything above 6,500 rpm.
Wow, so unless I prematurely change the clutch, this is something I will have to live with? Now that's QUALITY!

I'm just glad it's not my daily driver...
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:23 AM

When you installed the clutch, did you get the syncros done? If you get a grind into only one gear... i would bet its the syncro.. not the clutch. hope this give some hope
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You have all the symptoms of poor clutch release. I battled it for a year on a Comp Clutches stage 2 (POS) and it did a lot of damage to my tranny.

Also, BG synchroshift is NOT a well reccomended fluid for the 5-speed tranny. For a stock (not built) tranny, run the OEM fluid. If you have a built tranny (TRE, Shep) run what they reccomend, but neither of them reccomend BG Synchro.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by JDavenport
You have all the symptoms of poor clutch release. I battled it for a year on a Comp Clutches stage 2 (POS) and it did a lot of damage to my tranny.

Also, BG synchroshift is NOT a well reccomended fluid for the 5-speed tranny. For a stock (not built) tranny, run the OEM fluid. If you have a built tranny (TRE, Shep) run what they reccomend, but neither of them reccomend BG Synchro.
That's odd because when I was searching through the forums a while ago, it seemed like A LOT people were switching to it and loved it. Some of these were older threads though. I guess I can always change it to see if helps. I would really like to not have to rebuild the tranny anytime soon.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
BG is not a good fluid....but i would suspect is has to do with your clutch....it could also be a sycro..but since everything was fine befor..i would think this is a good indicator that its your clutch.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

It seems like a hit or miss issue with a single disk clutch. Of the people I have seen with various "cheaper" single disk, it was about 50/50, either they worked fine or they all had one or more of the same issues- 5th grind, the "lock out" issue shifting above 6000ish rpm and a sticky shifter when trying to shift into neutral.
My problem was with an ACT HD street disk with fidanza lightweight flywheel. When I finally had enough and pulled the trans I found that the disk hub was rubbing against the pressure plate fingers, basically when when I pushed the clutch pedal down to the floor, regardless of how much preload I put on it, the disk was always dragging causing massive wear on the transmission.
New trans, exedy twin and redline mt90 fixed all my issues. Amsoil 75w90 gl4 works pretty good too, a few other brands of gl4 are decent too.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 03:34 PM

Well I finally got around to changing to Amsoil tranny oil, and it significantly reduced my possible lockout issue. I still can't seem to get it into gear as fast as before, but at least now it doesn't grind. The 5th gear grind issue persists, however. I found that if I baby the shift lever towards 5th and push very slowly and gently it will go in without grinding. The only problem with that is sometimes I forget, which makes me a little worried about long-term issues. Overall, very disappointed. I wish there were more reviews of this clutch before I bought it.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 10:06 PM

Bro I feel your pain on the clutch swap, I had and still have massive issues. And throughout everything I read it all points back to just dropping money with Shep, and the twin disc.......lol But thats just our evos they know what they want...lol
Old Oct 17, 2010, 04:32 AM
Evolving Member

I heard that any of that Sycro Fluids will destroy your sycros' I screwed up using sycromesh crap and it started grinding 5 gear. so the problem is most likely the fluid your using, our 5 speed trannys are supposed to be filled with Diaqueen.