Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

boosting issue? PLEASE help. any idea is helpful

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosting issue? PLEASE help. any idea is helpful

So i was having an exhaust leak 2 weeks back, finally figured it out with help of some people on the forums, turn around before that and still i'm having a boosting issue. Currently running a Tomei 7960, which should have really quick spool up time. The issue is i'll start building boost at 3,000rpms and it will drag out till 7,000rpms and will boost SMOOTH from 0psi to 18psi-20psi. Exhaust has a hollow sound as if the car doesn't want to build boost. I've been having wastegate issues either not opening and spiking really high or not enough in this case, or not fast enough. The WGA arm that goes over the wg flapper arm pin wasn't going on easily(picture1). Well i kept having to turn the wga arm with a wrench to a certain spot then tighten down the nut to get it to go on smoothly(line up). I' tested the wga with a compressor and it works smoothly NOW, wont bind up anymore like before(opens flapper 1\4 to 1\2 way and will get slightly stuck then open more or make a screech noise as metal on metal). I've boost leak tested, fixed all the leaks besides Throttle body shaft seals(they are in the mail atm). but wouldn't cause a HUGE problem as this. I had stock turbo in boosting 21psi and was doing perfect, with mabey a 3psi drop. thanks for ANY ideas.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:30 AM
Evolving Member

no ideas??
Old Oct 1, 2010, 09:57 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

anyone??? i'm bout ready to just sell the turbo and go back to stock.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Does the Tomei turbo use a stock Mitsu WGA? I would try a new WGA. Will Tomei send you a replacement?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Did you loosen and backout the back-up nut before rotating the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod previous to trying to get the arm back onto the flapper valve pin?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by simons3z
....The WGA arm that goes over the wg flapper arm pin wasn't going on easily(picture1). Well i kept having to turn the wga arm with a wrench to a certain spot then tighten down the nut to get it to go on smoothly(line up).
I really don't understand what you are trying to convey in the quoted passage above. Also, what are you trying to get across in the photograph.

I just want to make sure that I know what you are getting at.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Did you loosen and backout the back-up nut before rotating the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod previous to trying to get the arm back onto the flapper valve pin?
yes, id do that then put it on the valve pin, otherwise it won't go on smooth, it will go to one side or another and get caught as shown in the picture.

I really don't understand what you are trying to convey in the quoted passage above. Also, what are you trying to get across in the photograph.

I just want to make sure that I know what you are getting at.
its showing what i'm trying to explain. and to give ideas. for some reason the flapper will either hold shut too long or not long enough creating little to no boost REALLY slow or REALLY fast to over boost.can't figure out why it keeps doing it, the actuator works perfectly fine with a air source to it. but its not controlling it correctly or something...like its not adjusted correctly, but it is.

Does the Tomei turbo use a stock Mitsu WGA? I would try a new WGA. Will Tomei send you a replacement?
its a tomei wga. i bought the turbo used, worked fine for the last guy. only has 3,000 miles on it supposed. but the turbo looks brand new

ALSO TYVM for the help haah

Last edited by simons3z; Oct 3, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

I'd like to know how many threads are visible and exposed beyond the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod as you have it adjusted in the image. It's not visible from the angle of your pic.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Try and replace the actuator... The actuator normally should have a good amount of preload on it.. your arm looks like it might have a bend in it.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

I'd like to know how many threads are visible and exposed beyond the turnbuckle on the end of the actuator rod as you have it adjusted in the image. It's not visible from the angle of your pic.
Originally Posted by BoostWhore
Try and replace the actuator... The actuator normally should have a good amount of preload on it.. your arm looks like it might have a bend in it.
i'll take a video of it working fine now(actuator movement) and while driving it will boost fast or slow but it has i believe 5 threads showing plenty of preload this time around(8th time adjusting?). i wanted to boost the 18psi(tomei wastegate pressure) but it always wants to go to 25...sooo it might have a 25psi spring but i don't think so. last owner said he was running 25psi
Old Oct 3, 2010, 04:11 PM

Don't limit yourself to looking at just this for a solution....what type of boost controller are you running? Is it an aftermarket 3-port or an MBC?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heaveho
Don't limit yourself to looking at just this for a solution....what type of boost controller are you running? Is it an aftermarket 3-port or an MBC?
im running just wastegate pressure atm, sorry i havent gotten back having other difficulties atm
Old Feb 3, 2017, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know this is very old but what did u do to fix the problem?