Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best Coolant Brand?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
gotcha lol

no thoughts on some kind of chemical property that helps certain brands of coolant help dissipate heat better than other? outside of the color of it lol
No idea dude, there has to be an engineer out there that can tell you what's in coolant that behaves that way and if the chemicals in water wetter are the same, concentrated or completely different.

I'm usually okay with running what's proven unless someone can prove it's not the best.

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
true. anyway i've never had a problem lmao, just kind of food for thought
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:49 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I think it's a good idea, I agree with Socrates:

The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
^ great in theory (ie no water/ save more water for earth). But, it's a gimmick.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Don't hold your breath. AMSOIL is the best is all you'll ever get
Haha you and Apagan's little fights over the years (regarding Amsoil vs the rest) have always been entertaining

But very true, GSRboi
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Dexcool > all

LUUULZ

I just run a little bit of normal prestone green coolant with mostly distilled water thru my koyo half rad, never have any issues at all.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like using the Toyota pink just because having pink coolant is badass. lol. That waterless coolant stuff isn't necesarily a gimmick but there's a reason it's not used in race cars.

As far as heat dispersion goes i believe water is the best. So distilled water + Redline Water wetter will give you the best heat dispersion and lower temps than just coolant + water. But i would not recomend you daily this especially if you live somewhere where it goes below 32. My friend just split his porsche block( don't worry its only a 944) because he filled it up with water and it froze over night.

Typically a coolant mix of 50/50 or 60/40 is recommended because the coolant actually helps lube your water pump and prevents electrolysis. Coolant helps to raise the boiling point of water and lower the freezing point but it doesn't disperse heat as well as solid water. But it's anti-corrosion properties and lubricating properties make it the best for daily.

As far as the best coolant or high performance coolant, i don't really know of one. Coolant is coolant as far as i'm concerned. If i go out to the track i will just run water+ water wetter. It was mentioned earlier but when you spill on the track it won't ruin it for everyone else.

Please take what i said with a grain of salt. I'm not a "Coolant Expert" per say, but as someone who is getting a 4 year degree in Automotive i just wanted to share what i know and what has been taught to me on this subject.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by idkmybffjjill
I like using the Toyota pink just because having pink coolant is badass. lol. That waterless coolant stuff isn't necesarily a gimmick but there's a reason it's not used in race cars.

As far as heat dispersion goes i believe water is the best. So distilled water + Redline Water wetter will give you the best heat dispersion and lower temps than just coolant + water. But i would not recomend you daily this especially if you live somewhere where it goes below 32. My friend just split his porsche block( don't worry its only a 944) because he filled it up with water and it froze over night.

Typically a coolant mix of 50/50 or 60/40 is recommended because the coolant actually helps lube your water pump and prevents electrolysis. Coolant helps to raise the boiling point of water and lower the freezing point but it doesn't disperse heat as well as solid water. But it's anti-corrosion properties and lubricating properties make it the best for daily.

As far as the best coolant or high performance coolant, i don't really know of one. Coolant is coolant as far as i'm concerned. If i go out to the track i will just run water+ water wetter. It was mentioned earlier but when you spill on the track it won't ruin it for everyone else.

Please take what i said with a grain of salt. I'm not a "Coolant Expert" per say, but as someone who is getting a 4 year degree in Automotive i just wanted to share what i know and what has been taught to me on this subject.
Thanks, that's great info
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
50/50 and add 3 or 4 drops of Dawn. Dawn breaks the surface tension of the 50/50 and allows it to extract the heat from the mixture more efficiently.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SWOLN
50/50 and add 3 or 4 drops of Dawn. Dawn breaks the surface tension of the 50/50 and allows it to extract the heat from the mixture more efficiently.
I thought the Dawn was to clean your coolant system.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

^ Really?? Is this true? Lol first I've heard of that one.. I understand how relieving surface tension allows for faster dissipation of heat.. But can you use Dawn to do this? Or what chemical compenant in Dawn, relieves surface tension?

Last edited by BEKevo; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TommiM
I thought the Dawn was to clean your coolant system.
No that's vinegar.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BEKevo
^ Really?? Is this true? Lol first I've heard of that one.. I understand how relieving surface tension allows for faster dissipation of heat.. But can you use Dawn to do this? Or what chemical compenant in Dawn, relieves surface tension?
Dunno, just an old school trick...
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Dunno, just an old school trick...
I see. Interesting though..
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow never herd the dawn theory either, interesting.

Its been said a few times in here but the coolant manufacturer dont matter, its all hype. All anti freeze comes form 2 different factories in the world and is chemically the same and the individual company buy it and mix it and sell it to you. really just buy what is the cheapest 50/50.

Here is where most people go wrong, sure you can buy the additives but really they are not needed, they dont hurt but really they are overkill in the sense your spending money to "improve your coolant". Really the additive that you should do is more distilled water, it helps and its damn near free! Hear me out. We all hear 50/50 and buy 50/50 but really the best mix is roughly 35/65. (65% water) This research was done decades ago but still no on calls it out. The only time i hear it called out by any company that makes engines is it by the MTU diesel motor company (Germany) and i can see why since most of the engines i work on with them are $1,000,000+ engines, they want their **** to run optimally. Water does a better job with heat transfer then the antifreeze does. The research has found that 35% (really i think it was 34.27 or something like that but 35 is easier to calculate when mixing, i personally just go 33/67, even easier) antifreeze is still plenty to keep the water from freezing even at pretty damn low temps. So the lowest amount of antifreeze you can run the better, but obviously you still want it to do its job.

But also as some one pointed out running 100% water is the best if your in a place its not in danger of ever freezing. I stick to my 33/67, just in case.

Quick Reply: Best Coolant Brand?