Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

blowoff valve affecting perfomance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blowoff valve affecting perfomance

Need help ASAP!!!! after installing an HKS racing blowoff valve I immediately noticed a loss in power. Noticable in 3rd gear, high RPM around 4k up. Seems the car would take forever to reach 7k . No more pulling power, not like when it was stock. Only mods are apex i downpipe 3", hks titanium HIPER full exhaust, k&N filter & turbo timer. 1st & 2nd gear are OK, fast acceleration.
Is it possible theres a leak in the blow off valve? I got it USED.
Whats the difference bet. a racing blow off & a sequential one? just can take more boost on the racing blowoff? thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sup pare,hows the evo7 handling on pi roads,as far as the difference im not sure what it is. but have you checked the spring inside the bov.since i read somewhere that hks is only good till about 25. is it a vta or recirculating set-up since u might be hitting fuel cut early.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

is it venting to atmosphere or recirculating? also if its the racing one i believe you have to hook up a non vaccume source to that one nipple. annnd the spring tension might not be high enough and its causing a boost leak.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

sounds badass!!! evertime i step on it you can hear this pssssssshhhhhh sound & when you let go off the gas you can still here it. Is that how it supposed to be? we closed one hole supplied w/ the kit. thats venting?
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

you shouldn't hear it venting air while accelerating....only when the valve opens...
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

You should only hear the sound when you leat off the gas (close the throttle)
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I had the Forge BOV VTA. When I went back to stock I noticed the Forge made a difference as far as spool up. Quicker too.
Old Dec 3, 2003, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

your BOV is probably adjustable or else it would be useless as an aftermarket one.... its probably set too loose right now, so its leaking boost.... tighten it up little by little. You don't want to overtighten or else you'll end up with compressor surge! Good luck!
Old Dec 4, 2003, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

i had the stock installed back yesterday. The power is back!!! We tried tightening the hks blowoff still the same thing. Is th HKS sequential blow off any good?
Old Dec 4, 2003, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by x7eVoLuTiOn7x
sounds badass!!! evertime i step on it you can hear this pssssssshhhhhh sound & when you let go off the gas you can still here it. Is that how it supposed to be? we closed one hole supplied w/ the kit. thats venting?
If your BOV is making sound even when you step on it, then you might want to get it checked out. I don't think it is really that bad *** if it is making sound when you step on it?????
Old Dec 7, 2003, 07:48 PM

The SSQV opens a small primary valve at light throttle and load conditions, then sequentially opens the secondary valve for high boost and load conditions.

Racing valves are push type valves that utilize calibrated spring pressure and vacuum line pressure to remain closed against the pressurized air in the charge pipe.

These are the differences between the two types of valves that you have mentioned.