Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

New BW EFR Turbo Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get the shaft speed sensor with the new turbo kit. Geoff, do you guys sell these too or do I need to get one somewhere else? I e-mailed Aaron about it.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

http://roadragegages.com/index.htm

For the speed sensor stuff!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in for more info.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got this link from nasioc. Looking good!

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=35892744
Old Jan 24, 2011, 08:16 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Got this link from nasioc. Looking good!http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=35892744
here is his GT35R (purple line) vs EFR 8374 (green line) comparison:

Originally Posted by RunThat
I want to get the shaft speed sensor with the new turbo kit. Geoff, do you guys sell these too or do I need to get one somewhere else? I e-mailed Aaron about it.
no problem to order the shaft speed sensor along with the turbokit, we can supply the roadrage items too - just let me know what you are thinking about and we'll make it happen

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
After playing around with the BW matchbot some more, it looks like a 7670 will pretty much fit all of my criteria in either the 1.05 or .92 AR. So I have a couple of questions, Geoff. Apart from the packaging/feature difference, what kind of difference would I see between the two trims? I'm assuming that the .92 will spool slightly faster and make a little less power up top, but at my target of 30psi on a built 2.0L, either option seems to be viable. How difficult will it be to fit the .92AR 7670 onto an Evo? I hate open dumps and the integrated wastegate and BOV appeals to me greatly.
I agree the 7670 is an outstanding fit to a 4G63 that doesnt need huge top end power. That is what I am running on my daily driver evo, however the .92 a/r with internal wastegate is extremely difficult to fit - impossible with the A/C compressor. I will have more info and pics on this in the next few weeks

Originally Posted by 0100

Awesome info Geoff! Any idea if the 8374 will fit without major modifications? Any eta on when you will have the 7670 on your evo?
Im waiting on turbos just like everyone else, but our customers are first and I'm at the end of the line. My R14 is waiting without a turbo, as is my evo. Right now the only turbos were getting consistently are the singlecsroll units

Originally Posted by evodan2004
I really think that trq curve is horrible
Originally Posted by evodan2004
Yes I did. But I still feel its horrible. Im sure what. He said is all thruth but still I don't like it. Im a picky person lol
Dan - The powerband is far from horrible. this is the fastest time attack car in North America, and #2 in the world. Their cylinder head FLOWS and the entire system works to generate the numbers you see here. The dropping tq curve you see is a product of "over speed" condition and choke flow (rapidly rising shaft speed without increasing airflow). The definition of choke flow means: *IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO MOVE MORE AIR THRU A 62.7MM HOLE* think about that, it doesnt matter if your turbo is an hta or a precision or an efr. A 62.7mm hole is only so big and can allow only so much air past. Once we start getting more turbos, especially twinscroll ones, then we can do more pertinent tests, and ill try to send a test unit out to you and sean to try out. Currently we can only wait as demand is outpacing supply

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
You have to realize the setup is making 700 ft-lbs of torque and probably dropping boost like crazy as the compressor is out of flow. Look at it like this, let's say you turn the boost down to where it is making 550 ft-lbs peak. It would probably make 500+ ft-lb from 4750 to 7250. That's a pretty flat torque curve with a ton of girth.
^^^ +1

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jan 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
Dan - this is the fastest time attack car in North America, and #2 in the world. The powerband is far from horrible. This tq curve is a product of "over speed" condition and choke flow (rapidly rising shaft speed without increasing airflow). The definition of choke flow means: *IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO MOVE MORE AIR THRU A 62.7MM HOLE* think about that, it doesnt matter if your turbo is an hta or a precision or an efr. A 62.7mm hole is only so big and can allow only so much air past. Once we start getting more turbos, especially twinscroll ones, then we can do more pertinent tests, and sure maybe even send a test unit out to you and sean if you wanted to try it out.
It's funny Dan is a "picky" person and yet he totally ignores the results and is hung up on how the dyno sheet looks. I'd say the results speak for themselves and show the turbo works very well for their intended purposes.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
The choke flow rate of a 62.7mm hole is ~92 lb/min at 13.95 PSI and 77F.

Isn't the choke flow rate of a compressor typically dictated by the exducer airflow speed?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
It's funny Dan is a "picky" person and yet he totally ignores the results and is hung up on how the dyno sheet looks. I'd say the results speak for themselves and show the turbo works very well for their intended purposes.
i stand corrected and simi learned something on how this stuff works. i spoke to geoff and its been explained a little better to me on how it works. basically the turbo is off the chart in its flow range. if this was around 600trq it would carry out much longer due to shaft speed???? not being so high so the turbo can flow ''keep up'' with the amount of air.

i think i got that right.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Is the graph's of single or twin scrolls?

Originally Posted by Full-Race Geoff
here is his GT35R (purple line) vs EFR 8374 (green line) comparison:

no problem to order the shaft speed sensor along with the turbokit, we can supply the roadrage items too - just let me know what you are thinking about and we'll make it happen

I agree the 7670 is an outstanding fit to a 4G63 that doesnt need huge top end power. That is what I am running on my daily driver evo, however the .92 a/r with internal wastegate is extremely difficult to fit - impossible with the A/C compressor. I will have more info and pics on this in the next few weeks

Im waiting on turbos just like everyone else, but our customers are first and I'm at the end of the line. My R14 is waiting without a turbo, as is my evo. Right now the only turbos were getting consistently are the singlecsroll units

Dan - The powerband is far from horrible. this is the fastest time attack car in North America, and #2 in the world. Their cylinder head FLOWS and the entire system works to generate the numbers you see here. The dropping tq curve you see is a product of "over speed" condition and choke flow (rapidly rising shaft speed without increasing airflow). The definition of choke flow means: *IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO MOVE MORE AIR THRU A 62.7MM HOLE* think about that, it doesnt matter if your turbo is an hta or a precision or an efr. A 62.7mm hole is only so big and can allow only so much air past. Once we start getting more turbos, especially twinscroll ones, then we can do more pertinent tests, and ill try to send a test unit out to you and sean to try out. Currently we can only wait as demand is outpacing supply

^^^ +1
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Single with internal wg on the efr and external wg on the 35r.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:16 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by acssa
Is the graph's of single or twin scrolls?
2.0L honda engine, T3 singlescroll .82 a/r for the GT35, .83 a/r for the EFR

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr
The choke flow rate of a 62.7mm hole is ~92 lb/min at 13.95 PSI and 77F. Isn't the choke flow rate of a compressor typically dictated by the exducer airflow speed?
you have to subtract the shaft and blade area to get the working area. as you mentioned tip speed absolutely has an effect on this. the compressor maps i previously posted showed the speedlines in RPM, but this one shows tip speed in m/s:

evodan - think about how if your car has wheelspin, the engine is accelerating and the tires are accelerating but the car isnt moving any faster (tires are spinning). this is the same thing, but with air and a blade, instead of tire and asphalt

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jan 24, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
evodan - think about how if your car has wheelspin, the engine is accelerating and the tires are accelerating but the car isnt moving any faster (tires are spinning). this is the same thing, but with air and a blade, instead of tire and asphalt[/quote]

Very nice analogy that really helped me understand it, thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Geoff, care to speculate the spool difference between the .83 single scroll and the 1.05 twinscroll for arguments sake?
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
haha. I'm visualizing turbo's doing burnouts.

I'm really interested to see the EFR turbo against that 35R at a higher PR. I think it will really start to shine that's very impressive regardless.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
Geoff, care to speculate the spool difference between the .83 single scroll and the 1.05 twinscroll for arguments sake?
LOL "for arguments sake" thats the type of stuff that makes forum people freak out and set off all sorts of rants from mike at awd. There is no correct answer to your question becuase it depends on the setup. Looking at the matchbot software, hover your mouse over the "?" next to *turbine efficiency*. The pop-up should read:

so the answer will depend on how much gain does that specific setup get from the twinscroll configuration over the singlescroll. Typically that is in the area of 10-15% but every setup is different.

Since there are (2) dynosheets on this page of an 8374, one is singlescroll 2.0L (with very high VE) the other is built twinscroll 2.2L (also with very high VE). compare where they each hit 200lbft and 300lbft for comparison. You can see about 800-900rpm difference... some is due to the displacement, some is due to the headers, but when it all comes down to it, maybe half of that (400rpm) would be a reasonable guesstimate. Dont forget that the response is not measured on a dyno

Originally Posted by suby2evo
Very nice analogy that really helped me understand it, thanks.

Last edited by Geoff Raicer; Jan 24, 2011 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: New BW EFR Turbo Thread