Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Redline MT-85 Initial Review

Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Redline MT-85 Initial Review

Hello folks,

I just put the new Redline MT-85 in the Tranny of my 06 MR. This is Redlines new GL-4 Full Synthetic 75/85 Gear oil. It runs about $13.95 per qt.

I have about 100 miles of driving so far and the shifts are very smooth and I am liking this oil allot. Not to mention the cost savings vs. the OEM Diaqueen that runs $100 for 4 qt container when you only need a little over 2 qts to change the fluid.

I will post of more reviews as the miles go on. I am trying to get some Solo II time in soon, as well as some re tuning on the dyno. Will keep everyone posted.

Great Oil, Great Price. Give it a try.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7

Jeff
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
I have ran Redline in my 6 speed (with tranny cooler) for 4 years now. (car see's 10+ track events a year). I really liked it, nice price and smooth shifting.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure which Redline you were using. I ran their MT-90 in my MR and it shifted like crap. I dumped it and put in the Mopar Racing Gear oil.

This is new to Redline, its an actual 75/85 that is NIGHT and DAY different than the MT-90 I had in my tranny before. The MT-85 is very good so far. I will keep everyone posted on my results over time.

5 spd........MT-90 no problems. Sucks in the 6spd IMO

6spd.........MT-85 no problems thus far
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Hello folks,

I just put the new Redline MT-85 in the Tranny of my 06 MR. This is Redlines new GL-4 Full Synthetic 75/85 Gear oil. It runs about $13.95 per qt.

I have about 100 miles of driving so far and the shifts are very smooth and I am liking this oil allot. Not to mention the cost savings vs. the OEM Diaqueen that runs $100 for 4 qt container when you only need a little over 2 qts to change the fluid.

I will post of more reviews as the miles go on. I am trying to get some Solo II time in soon, as well as some re tuning on the dyno. Will keep everyone posted.

Great Oil, Great Price. Give it a try.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7
G

Jeff
Redline light weight shock oil is amazing too makes the Mr tranny shift like butter.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

I switched to MT-85 a little over month ago. I was using MT90 for the past few years. I like it a lot. It shifts really smooth and havent really noticed anything bad.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Not sure which Redline you were using. I ran their MT-90 in my MR and it shifted like crap.
have you tried a MTL/MT90 mix to compare? Straight MT90 is known not to shift the best, especially when cold. Im pretty sure the MT85 is the same formulation as the previously mentioned just an inbetween viscosity.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JC evo1
have you tried a MTL/MT90 mix to compare? Straight MT90 is known not to shift the best, especially when cold. Im pretty sure the MT85 is the same formulation as the previously mentioned just an inbetween viscosity.
I am not sure how Redline "blended" this MT-85 but its good. Its VERY good. The more I drive it, the more I like it. I will definately keep this in the gear box, I like it best out of all the fluids I have tried.

Jeff
Old Jan 19, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used the MT-85 for the past 200 miles and I'm liking it as well. I've driven it in anything from 30 degrees out to 65 degrees so far and no problems, just shifts good! The cheapest place I found it/ one of the few places I found it was amazon.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Will it be okay to mix this with diaqueen? I have some diaqueen left and it is probably enough to refill my 6 speed but just in case it requires a little more can I add this in to top it off rather than buying a whole can of diaqueen?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by icrnk
Will it be okay to mix this with diaqueen? I have some diaqueen left and it is probably enough to refill my 6 speed but just in case it requires a little more can I add this in to top it off rather than buying a whole can of diaqueen?
I am sure you can mix it with the Diaqueen with no issues. That is if your using the correct Diaqueen. If you are using the 75/85 Diaqueen for the 6spd, then I am sure you can mix in the MT-85. I will not be returning to Diaqueen again after using this MT-85 stuff. Its very good. Better than the Mopar Racing 75/85 gear oil I was using. Im not saying its the "best" I don't think there is such a thing, but IMO its better than the Diaqueen and Mopar Fluid that I have ran for over 40K miles.

Jeff
Old Jan 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Update. I've noticed harder time getting into a few gears when its 30-35 degrees outside. as it warms up its perfect, but 1st seems to want to pop stand 3rd grinds a little until the fluid is warmed. Not sure if its the fluid or my trans but something I've observed. should work perfect in the summertime.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
Update. I've noticed harder time getting into a few gears when its 30-35 degrees outside. as it warms up its perfect, but 1st seems to want to pop stand 3rd grinds a little until the fluid is warmed. Not sure if its the fluid or my trans but something I've observed. should work perfect in the summertime.
This is something I've noticed with Amsoil fluid as well when it's very cold out. Especially with the weather we've had recently here in the Northeast. I let the car warm up for about 5 minutes just to get the coolant gauge to move. It's definitely notchy for the first 5 minutes of driving or so. Once it's warm, it's pretty good.

I definitely want to try this fluid out next.

Jeffs2006EVOIX, and 420a-t, how many miles do you guys have on your motor/transmissions???

-Jalal
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

65k. And the fluid was pretty dark when I just changed it, and there was some metal on the drain plug, but not nearly as bad as some pics I've seen. I think my trans is pretty healthy...that I know of. I'm going to.run this in the summer and possibly change to 75 or a mix of the two for winter next year...or just keep it. I can't decide.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 08:18 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are using the Redline MT-85 and having shifting issues? Or are you using the "cocktail" or MT-90? When I leave my home in the AM for work its usually around 35F. Car shifts good. 2nd is a little notchy but has been since the car was new, and its not as notchy with the MT-85.

If your seeing metal particles in your oil, that is not good. I also change my Tranny fluid once a year or every 10K miles which ever comes first.

The Amsoil gear oil is a 75/90 like Redlines MT-90 so that may be the reason for the rough shifting when cold. I would try the MT-85 by Redline. If you already are, then not sure what to tell ya.

So far so good my 6spd likes the MT-85.

Jeff
Old Jan 25, 2011, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 420a-t
65k. And the fluid was pretty dark when I just changed it, and there was some metal on the drain plug, but not nearly as bad as some pics I've seen. I think my trans is pretty healthy...that I know of. I'm going to.run this in the summer and possibly change to 75 or a mix of the two for winter next year...or just keep it. I can't decide.
Thats because the fluid is suppose to be changed every 20,000 miles!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Redline MT-85 Initial Review