Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

one WG on divided manifold ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by batty200
A wastegate can have an effect on power if the wg is too small and cant bypass the proper amount of exhaust the backpressure will go up. If the WG is too small it will also cause boost creep issues. Too large a wg will cause boost too fall off. A lot of wastegate dynamics have to do with the flow of the exhaust and the turbine housing. You can do a lot with a 2in 2' long exhaust. You are oversimplifying.
You are over complicating

A tial 38mm or a tial 44mm is more than enough for just about anybody not trying to set records or running more than 5 psi peak boost on any t3 frame turbo, that's all i was saying.

Scorke
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bzyq2001
i was wondering the same thing, what with different backpressure in each divider?
i know that one of the old cummis engine had only one wg, only on one dvider, but is it good for egine ? i don't think so
Good question.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RSMike
if you run different opening pressure for each runner what happens to your backpressure in the manifold and the tuning to compensate....Another good reason for single wastegate is if you have a wastegate fault....If one doesn't open, you're applying massive pressure to two cylinders (1 scroll).....I disagree with it spooling faster with dual gates. I'm sure Ted B can comment on his setup. You will prob lose a little power when the gate opens as the scrolls can bleed over into each other, but it will depend on how long the wastegate pipe is etc...
I guess that I should have taken into account the twin scroll concept but obviously...I didn't. Dual gates on a divided manifold would have to be set to open at the same PSI. I agree with Mike. He is correct.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
TedB, how do you have it setup so it doesn't isolate half the valve but still keeps them divided?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:39 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
The divider stops just short of the WG valve face. This is a necessity anyway, or you risk the WG cracking open from the divider enlarging due to thermal expansion. This does not measurably impact the TS effect. When the WG valve opens, each side sees the full WG valve area, because as the valve lifts off its seat, it creates a space between the divider and the valve face. The further the valve is opened, the greater that space becomes. Most of the full potential of the valve flow is realized early in its travel, but it's enough to give more or less full access to both sides.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Gotcha, how much distance between the divider and the valve face when it is closed are you talking?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 11:51 AM
EvoM Guru

Just a few mm.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 12:22 PM

if i remember corectly, valve on the WG isn't flat, right? that divider must be in shape of the valve?
Old Feb 4, 2011, 04:46 PM
EvoM Guru

The divider was carefully fabricated to fit.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

I built a single gate ts manifold for a car awhile back, this was before Tial MVS's came out. Ran it for awhile on a time attack car. Decided to build a new one, same placement an very similar runner configuration, except flanged for (2) 38mvs's.

not sure if it means anything, was just an interesting comparision...and yes there was a divider all the way to valve.
Old Feb 4, 2011, 10:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodan2004
i dont get it. sorry. but if you have 2 gates ''2 runners per gate'' then how would making one gate stiffer then the other be a good thing?

both my W/G's have 22 or 24 ''i forget'' PSI springs in them. i would like a minimum of 28 but i do not think they make springs that stiff.
Sure they do dan..

Mike
Old Feb 5, 2011, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by JesseB
I built a single gate ts manifold for a car awhile back, this was before Tial MVS's came out. Ran it for awhile on a time attack car. Decided to build a new one, same placement an very similar runner configuration, except flanged for (2) 38mvs's.

not sure if it means anything, was just an interesting comparision...and yes there was a divider all the way to valve.
very nice comparision !
solid line is for 2 WG - right ?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:01 AM
EvoM Guru

I wouldn't read anything into it. I'm aware of another such test where the results were the opposite.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:27 AM

just make sure that the divider is solid and well welded, seen an example where the back pressure differences have shaken it loose and it ended up in the turbo. needless to say that the turbo at full speed didn't like it much.
ouch1

ouch2

anyways the v2 has held up just fine so far, for the tial wg you need to make the divider stick out a bit since the valve is not flush with the vband (obviously)
works fine

if you are using EBC there should be no difference in the spool with 1 or 2 wgs, like stated previously in this post, the flow is the only difference.

Last edited by lekonna; Feb 5, 2011 at 07:31 AM. Reason: spool dif
Old Feb 5, 2011, 07:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Ouch, don't let that happen.

If you scroll down to "T3 EVO Twin Scroll Manifold" here in the galleries section, you can see Drifto's (Morgan Performance Fabrication) divider work:

MP Fab Galleries

Here's a nice photo of the twinscroll turbo w/single WG setup (at left) on BMW's 1.5L 1300bhp F1 engine:

Quick Reply: one WG on divided manifold ?