Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Magnus V5 vs AMS F1 Intake

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for doing this comparison, I wish he was going with the Boomba 75mm TB though, not trying to B****, just curious if the results would still be that close.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vid says the AMS is the blue line which contradicts what's written here. The blue line makes better top end power and more peak. Is that a typo?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Good to see you all doing this test. Just wish it was on a 2 liter but oh well beggers cant be choosers as the saying goes.

I must say im VERY happy with my F1I in every aspect!! Fit easily for me... didn't have to modify the IC pipe or anything... And my cars combination runs harder and makes more power then even i thought it would! And i have high expectations on things i put together to say the least.

I like all companys involved here "ER, AMS, Magnus" so either way im happy.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
nice comparison. I always wondered what this test would result in.. i read probably 150 posts in that other intake manifold testing thread looking for this comparison and it never was done. thanks for testing these.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

that other thread was a mess some one would post a dyno sheet and people wouldent even no what intake manifold was tested on another note i just got a used magnus from member detroit pistins thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lucas English
Looking at the 2 intakes its amazing how different the theories on design are but such close results. The AMS uses a huge plenum which is good for top end power but then makes the runner much longer which is good for low end power. The Magnus uses Short runners which is good for top end but a smaller plenum which is better for low end. I feel the boost on the Magnus is faster due to so much less volume to fill. The AMS is Huge almost rubs the ABS. We had to kinda of pry the ABS pump over so it would not rub the intake.

First off thanks for doing the comparison. I'm particularly interested because I've got the F1 on my car. Reading your description and seeing the pics it would be easy to think the AMS does have a larger plenum, but wouldn't the "stacks" inside the plenum actually diminish actual volume? Is it possible that the added physicall dimension of the AMS plenum is to make up for what is lost to the 4 large stacks on the inside? The Magnus has nothing inside the plenum so even though it looks physically smaller I wonder if in fact it has equall/more volume than the F1. If that's the case it would easily fall in line with what you guys found. A short runner large plenum will always benifit topend power.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ the ams intake has a much bigger plenum.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I would love to see the large plenum di tested against those 2.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

I would still like to see the MAP Rev3 tested against these manifolds, as it is one of the lesser expensive intakes, but has still produced some great results
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:47 AM

Great test, cant wait for the final results! I dont have any experience with the ams manifold but I helped a friend of mine put the Magnus cast piece on his car and overall it was nice but it didnt have a support bracket like the factory manifold, no mount for the oil dipstick tube and he had to mount the throttle body upside down which looks terrible.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by R/TErnie
^ the ams intake has a much bigger plenum.
Is that based on your opinion or did you actually measure the volume? I'm not asking this question because I have a problem with the results of ERs testing or the results. I was just wondering if any account was given for the fact that there are 4 gaint velocity stacks inside the AMS unit which may be one of the reasons the external dimensions are so great. It's just a question.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
I havent measured volume but I can when the car comes back for the high boost dyno pulls and cam upgrade. It is definitely larger though in physical size and the material volume of the velocity stacks doesnt seem that great in.

When I get it back I will give actual dimensions (plenum size and runner length) vs a Magnus which I can as I have them in stock.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Well we redynoed Friday and came up with the same results. So for this combo anyway the Magnus is a winner.

Points I like better with the AMS though
-Comes with a dip stick that fits nice. The Magnus is up to the installer to bend up the stock one and mount. Its easy enough to zip tie or clamp to the side of the #1runner.
-Has a nice bracket that bolts like factoy. May be needed due to the longer runners and added weight of the AMS intake
-Comes boxed like you just bought a LCD TV very professional looking.

One thing that did change in the test which I thought it might was the spool area is the same. During the 1st magnus testing with the Bad valve springs the spool was the same and only the loss during the valve float at 7.5k.

Here is the best to best with the new springs and tune as close as we could get it.

Name:  FinalAMSVSMagnus.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  253.5 KB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i0JN0u3te4
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:42 PM
Evolved Member

any chance of getting a DI manifold on the car Arron?
Old Feb 14, 2011, 10:55 PM
Former Sponsor

so it looks like the magnus wins on both test's overall. what happened to the ams more mid range tho? the springs changed that? the lines arent as smooth as before either.. kinda wobly.. but either way the magnus is better uptop no matter what way you look at it..

i wish we could see the map rev3 against the magnus.. i know it will lose uptop but i want to see what it would do mid range. id be interested to see how much it would actually lose uptop also.. if it were like 25whp id be shocked.

i think customer should put the magnus on.. i mean they are both good but i sure as hell wouldnt want the ams on after seeing it lose power if it were my car.. no offense to ams.

Quick Reply: Magnus V5 vs AMS F1 Intake