Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

On-Boost Compressor Surge Issues

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Synapse,
Here is a pic of my setup, 4'' dry filter (I believe!)

Originally Posted by fre
Yea, I suspected that as being part of the issue. The only reason I don't think I had issues earlier on was a boost leak I never knew about keeping it under check (EGR valve). Now that all my boost leaks are fixed, surge and spiking are my new friends. I know the spikes can be controlled by using electronic boost control, which I might do via a GM solenoid and the AEM, but the surge is in large a result of the tiny hotside.

Will be interested to see your results.
Ya iam hoping it would solve the issue. But the OP also brings up a great point and that is "Too much boost Too soon" so going with a bigger hotside, would slow this porcess, thus, avoiding the issue. so the hotside might not be a direct solution but it would work.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Liqquid
Excellent! So did you find a piping size and layout that did NOT exhibit the problem there and a different one that did? I'd be interested to know!
Kinda theoretical right now to be honest. On the full IC pipe kit we make for the 8/9 we actually stick with a 2.5" intake with a wide angle bend to the MAF and I haven't heard of most anyone with the kit having this issue. And they're all dyno'ng on the high side, so it kinda goes against the guys making fun of the small intake pipe diameter. But still gathering more data before coming to conclusions or recommendations.

This may sound like a really stupid recommendation, but if it doesn't hurt anything . . . Any way you can jam that 3" tube further in to that reducer coupler and see if it helps your cause? Almost to the point of wrapping around the compressor inlet.

Originally Posted by detroit pistins
I have the same setup 35r/.63 with the same issues ur describing. I spoke to Tial about it, and from what they have seen is the smaller hotside is one of the factors played into surge.
It kinda makes sense since it doesnt seem right for the comperssor to push more air than what ur engine can process thru the smaller hotside. I will be swapping mine soon, so I will report back my findings.
Bigger A/R will definitely fix it. In Diesels they usually just change the A/R on the fly via the VNT/VGT to dodge surge.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:25 PM
fre
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by detroit pistins
Synapse,
Here is a pic of my setup, 4'' dry filter (I believe!)

Ya iam hoping it would solve the issue. But the OP also brings up a great point and that is "Too much boost Too soon" so going with a bigger hotside, would slow this porcess, thus, avoiding the issue. so the hotside might not be a direct solution but it would work.
Is that the non-CDI sparktech ignition? If so how much boost/what gap are you running?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes its thier non cdi, and I am running 27.7psi on the stock plugs (not sure what they are gapped to!)
Old Feb 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good thread...and go do some work Ali...